Contract Extensions & Average Annual Value

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Did you guy read my OP?

OverTheCap now has his new contract in their system...

Yes guy, I read it. Doesn't mean I agree with it or OverTheCap but I did think it was interesting to see that the listing for fully Guaranteed money was only 66 Mil.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yes guy, I read it. Doesn't mean I agree with it or OverTheCap but I did think it was interesting to see that the listing for fully Guaranteed money was only 66 Mil.

Also doesn't Philly gets additional protection if Wentz is injured because insurance would cover the guaranteed salaries? I was shocked that the signing bonus was only 17 Million, this deal was clearly structured to have a high dollar amount but a lot of protection built in for the team for the downside of Wentz being unavailable.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also doesn't Philly gets additional protection if Wentz is injured because insurance would cover the guaranteed salaries? I was shocked that the signing bonus was only 17 Million, this deal was clearly structured to have a high dollar amount but a lot of protection built in for the team for the downside of Wentz being unavailable.

He will get 66M if cut tomorrow or cut after the 2019 season.

They put more of the guarantees in future base salaries and roster bonuses and less in the signing bonus. That allowed them to keep his cap hit at 4M for 2019.

If they gave him all 66M as a signing bonus, his best case cap hit for 2019 would have been about 14M.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He will get 66M if cut tomorrow or cut after the 2019 season..

But if he is injured with guaranteed salaries, insurance pays the team a portion of those salaries. Isn't that right?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But if he is injured with guaranteed salaries, insurance pays the team a portion of those salaries. Isn't that right?

No, only if the team purchases an insurance policy which most don't.

Payton Manning was guaranteed 20M for each of 2013 and 2014. The Broncos purchased insurance to cover 10M of his 2014 salary.