Contract Negotiations: Don’t believe just the dollar amount

Qcard

Reaction score
Dak Haters are pathetic.....

So you want to compare going on a 'boys trip' with hosting a party during a pandemic? Okay.

If it wasn;t such a big deal then why did police investigate the party? Why did the Governor speak out against it? Why did Jerry and Stephen Jones have to talk to Dak and Zeke about hosting the party?
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...e-truth-about-my-dinner-party-ezekiel-elliott

Dak's Response:

But Prescott says his critics have it all wrong.

“I understand and accept that there are additional responsibilities and media scrutiny that come with being an NFL quarterback, but it is very frustrating and disappointing when people provide completely inaccurate information from anonymous sources, especially now,” Prescott said in a statement Tuesday issued to ProFootballTalk.com. “To set the record straight, I know that we all need to do our best to socially distance and like everyone else, I am continuing to adjust to what that requires, but the truth is that I was with fewer than 10 people for a home dinner — not a party — on Friday night.

"I am very sensitive to the challenges we are all facing and making sure to support the first responders and medical personnel and everyone else putting in long hours,'' Prescott said. "We are all at a time when we need to keep educating ourselves about the importance of health and isolation during this pandemic and I will continue to make sure to do my part by following the guidelines until we are approved to start returning to normal activities.”

Jerry's Response:

"We've certainly communicated with Dak and Zeke, "Jones told 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “And I think they’re certainly aware now of how sensitive these situations are. I don’t think you’ll be seeing that any more. They are certainly guys we have the utmost respect for. I certainly know they understand the sensitivity of the situation we’re in, it’s certainly very serious, and something we know they understand.”

The point is his actions were selfish and irresponsible during a time when he wants to be seen as a leader and get a new contract. Sorry but that showed Dak for who he is both personally and professionally (oh, and let us not forget that Dak was arrested for DUI in March of 2016....right before the NFL draft....talk about bonehead moves)
Hater Hater Hater
How about a beer @USArmyVet .....Hater? Dak's trangressions are so bad Budweiser made Dak an ambassodor:muttley:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...tt-gets-a-long-term-deal-with-anheuser-busch/

Via Terry Lefton of Sports Business Journal, the folks behind brands like Budweiser, Bud Light, and Bud Light Seltzer have signed Prescott to a multi-year contract.

Said an unnamed source with knowledge of the deal to Lefton of Prescott’s latest sponsorship arrangement: “He’s signing a long-term deal with America’s beer, before he signs one with America’s Team.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...e-truth-about-my-dinner-party-ezekiel-elliott

Dak's Response:

“I understand and accept that there are additional responsibilities and media scrutiny that come with being an NFL quarterback, but it is very frustrating and disappointing when people provide completely inaccurate information from anonymous sources, especially now,” Prescott said in a statement Tuesday issued to ProFootballTalk.com. “To set the record straight, I know that we all need to do our best to socially distance and like everyone else, I am continuing to adjust to what that requires, but the truth is that I was with fewer than 10 people for a home dinner — not a party — on Friday night.

"I am very sensitive to the challenges we are all facing and making sure to support the first responders and medical personnel and everyone else putting in long hours,'' Prescott said. "We are all at a time when we need to keep educating ourselves about the importance of health and isolation during this pandemic and I will continue to make sure to do my part by following the guidelines until we are approved to start returning to normal activities.”

Jerry's Response:

"We've certainly communicated with Dak and Zeke, "Jones told 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “And I think they’re certainly aware now of how sensitive these situations are. I don’t think you’ll be seeing that any more. They are certainly guys we have the utmost respect for. I certainly know they understand the sensitivity of the situation we’re in, it’s certainly very serious, and something we know they understand.”

Hater Hater Hater
How about a beer @USArmyVet .....Hater? Dak's trangressions are so bad Budweiser made Dak an ambassodor:muttley:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...tt-gets-a-long-term-deal-with-anheuser-busch/

Via Terry Lefton of Sports Business Journal, the folks behind brands like Budweiser, Bud Light, and Bud Light Seltzer have signed Prescott to a multi-year contract.

Said an unnamed source with knowledge of the deal to Lefton of Prescott’s latest sponsorship arrangement: “He’s signing a long-term deal with America’s beer, before he signs one with America’s Team.

Of course a beer company would sign Dak to a contract given how he had a DUI and had a party during a pandemic.

As for the party and your trying to defend him, video showed no social distancing and even your own link showed how the organization had to talk to Dak and Zeke about how stupid their actions were so thank you for supporting my post.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I will believe the dollar amount once a deal is struck and we can see the details of how the contract pays out. I know for teams the longer the contract the more flexibility they have.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Dak's Response:

Jerry's Response:

Hater Hater Hater

I leaned more towards Jerry position. God knows we have people who put rules in place in these cities and states they seem not to follow what they mandate to others. In this case I will say because NFL was attempting to get through this season knowing how hard it would be, that players did carry the extra burden of following the strict rules set down by the NFL. In the end Covid was not a big issue for the Cowboys as it was on some other teams and thankfully we made it through a full season that some predicted would never happen. I'm not down on Dak but I do not think it was the smartest move on his part given the entire situation for himself, teammates and NFL in general.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
So for those that 'ignore' or 'block' people critical of Dak, nice to see you have been brainwashed into the cancel culture because you simply can't hear an opinion that is different from your own. I suggest you toughen up if social media triggers you so much.

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
How many times has information been “leaked” from the Star that player X has been offered $___ in contract negotiations but according to the Cowboys, “turned it down”? We as fans need to stop falling for the old “We offered them $___ and they turned it down” leak that in reality is (according to Cowboys beat writers) coming from the Jones boys to sway public opinion and put pressure on the player. Most other NFL teams do this too btw.

Here’s the hidden truth about what holds up NFL contract negotiations: The “dollar amounts” are usually not the big divide. The devil is always in the details.

In fact, NFL contracts are very complex, usually broken in several chunks of payment and bonus options. To avoid making this post too long, here are some of the main elements of an NFL contract:

• Base salary- This is the foundation of every player contract- players are paid their base salary in 17 payments (for the 16-game schedule and one bye week), one per week during the season. Base salary can be non-guaranteed or guaranteed depending on various clauses and conditions. This is the amount most often talked about- “He’s been offered $__million a year”, which usually means base salary. This does not include other payments or guarantees or bonuses. (And is often misleading)
  • Guaranteed Money- One thing that is somewhat misunderstood is that not all guaranteed money is the same. There are several types of guaranteed money that teams can use when constructing a contract. Here are the most common:
    • Injury Gurantee- This guarantee kicks in if a player is released but is unable to partake in football activities or pass a physical. If a player is released and this condition is met, the player is entitled to money that is protected against injury. If a player has guaranteed money for injury and they are healthy, then the money guaranteed for injury is lost when the player is cut.
    • Cap guarantee- this will protect a player from being released so the team can get under the cap, sign a free agent, or re-sign another player. A player with this guarantee cannot be cut as a money savings move.
    • There are other types of guarantees too complex for me to describe.
  • Length of contract- supposedly a sticking point in the 2020 Dak negotiations because allegedly the team wanted a 5 year deal and Dak wanted a 4 year deal. This is actually becoming a more common sticking point for all players, especially those under 28 (like Dak) who figure to have more than one contract in their careers.

• Signing, roster and workout bonuses- these parts are fairly self explanatory. But they are often parts of hard negotiations by both sides, the details of which most fans never know about.
This is a very complex issue and one that is difficult to explain in a short post. But just remember the next time we as fans are told by the owner’s side of negotiations that a player has been offered $__ amount of money, that’s like offering someone dinner but not telling that what food will be served.

Yeah, but getting into all of those details requires effort.

It's a lot easier to focus on the dollar amount and then spend 20+ pages arguing about it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So for those that 'ignore' or 'block' people critical of Dak, nie to see you have been brainwashed into the cancel culture because you simply can't hear an opinion that is different from your own. I suggest you toughen up if social media triggers you so much.

I don't ignore/block people critical of Dak. I just wish they'd come up with some original arguments instead of spewing the same vitriol every day - especially when it doesn't even make sense.

Dak is Dak, good not great, but some of the criticisms levelled at him say a lot more about the poster than they do about Dak.

bandfan

Reaction score
I'm a TTU alum. I've been watching him for years. Really happy for him. I remember many on this board and throughout the sports world said he wouldn't make it in the NFL and that he was nothing more than a college QB.
Any time I've heard someone say a Tech QB is a "system QB" and can't play in the NFL I say "Which team doesn't use a system?"

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
But there was a proposal...Dak didn't want to get married
You don't propose to Beyonce with a cubic zircona and call it a real proposal.

The price is the price and we all know it because we have google.
Might read Bob Sturm's fine work this morning in The Athletic.
Franchise QB money goes up 5M AAV EVERY YEAR.
Dallas has left 15M AAV on the table by pushing this off this long.

*EVERY franchise QB signed 4 year deals/extensions
*the top 3 QB contracts per year: AAV 25 in 2017, 30 in 2018, 34.1 in 2019, 39M in 2020.
***Simple Math says a 44M AAV is very realistic right now. IF Dallas can get Dak to sign a 39M deal for 4 years they should run to the league office with it signed before the ink can even dry.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I don't ignore/block people critical of Dak. I just wish they'd come up with some original arguments instead of spewing the same vitriol every day - especially when it doesn't even make sense.

Dak is Dak, good not great, but some of the criticisms levelled at him say a lot more about the poster than they do about Dak.

Vitriol? I call them statistics.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

*the top 3 QB contracts per year: AAV 25 in 2017, 30 in 2018, 34.1 in 2019, 39M in 2020.
***Simple Math says a 44M AAV is very realistic right now. IF Dallas can get Dak to sign a 39M deal for 4 years they should run to the league office with it signed before the ink can even dry.

Damn man, you have it bad when you compare Dak to Beyonce. Oh, and I wouldn't call what was reported to be a 5-year deal worth $175M with $110M guaranteed a cubic zirconia offer.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Any time I've heard someone say a Tech QB is a "system QB" and can't play in the NFL I say "Which team doesn't use a system?"
The knocks on Pat were just stupid.
He played with the worst defense of any P5 school and a poor OL.
He averaged 550 yards per game passing.
He played through injury.

The knocks were largely that he freelanced too much and that he didn't win enough; he was a gunslinger who lived for big plays.
That he was athletic enough to escape trouble but he wasn't a dynamic runner.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Further, Dak can't complain about being underpaid during his first four years. It was not our fault he dropped to the 4th round in the first instance any way and he just got paid over $31 million for playing 3 games. So time to play hardball and if he doesn't like it then maybe the Lions will come calling

Dak also made a lot of money off the field simply b/c he's the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. Heck, I just saw him in a national commercial during the playoff games this past weekend............. and the only reason he got that paid opportunity is b/c he is the highly recognizable QB of the Dallas Cowboys. Kyler Murray and Josh Allen aren't getting those opportunities.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously? Or maybe Mahomes realized that if he insisted upon his full market value and breaking every contract record, the Chiefs would struggle to surround him with enough talent. Mahomes basically made the Brady decision and saw the value of being a winner. Mahomes has an opportunity to make more money off the field than he ever will in the NFL. .....that comes with being a winner.
Spot on, Amigo. His desire to win with a very good team is what separates him from many in the league.

Swagger

Reaction score

44 million with the cap likely to be reduced...ok...

The way around it is to sign a long contract and structure it as best you can to give the front office money to build the roster. People will argue well the front office don't draft well or overpay etc but that's another conversation. Mahomes could have dug in his heels and pushed for a crazy number but he obviously wanted other key pieces to get paid to ensure that their Superbowl window is extended.

Kwyn

Reaction score
All I’m saying is when the Cowboys FO says they offered any player “$___ a year” in salary, that is usually not the whole story.
How many times has this actually happened? Can you be specific?

Your OP makes it sound like every contract a player signs has some front office shenanigans going on and other than Dak last year I’m hard pressed to think of specific numbers being “leaked”.

Also, “leaks” go both ways. Agents certainly play a role in the “information” that fans receive.

superonyx

Reaction score
Here is the thing with the whole Dak contract negotiations: look what is happening around the league regarding QB's. Here is a list of QB's currently or rumored to be be seeking a trade or possibly released:

Houston Desean Watson
Detroit Matthew Stafford
Rams Jared Goff
Packers Aaron Rodgers
Philly Carson Wentz
Jets Sam Darnold
SF Jimmy G.
Miami Tua
Chicago Trubiskey

The point???? Many of these teams will be in cap hell by moving on from their QB but recognize that their QB is not cutting the mustard so do you really want to see Dallas join this list after committing big money to Dak????
There is another way to look at it.
Tua, Trubisky, Darnold, Wentz, Goff were all early first round players who have not worked out. Do we want to let Dak walk and spend draft resources we don't even have on another of these QB's not working out?
Watson is unique and we know why. Stafford just wants a chance to win at 33 years old.

conner01

Reaction score
True story. Shame that not all quarterbacks have the same winning and selfless mentality.
Except he did get the biggest contract in the nfl
It’s structured to spread the money out but it’s the biggest deal there is