Cooley's opinion: RG3 is going to Dallas

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
"No they would probably get JFF and pull the third or fourth round QB which most of us will love in Kevin Hogan"

Behind Wentz and Goff, I like Hogan the best out of the other QBs in the draft. I doubt he will last til the 4th though.. 2nd round, maybe the top of the 3rd, depending on how the board is falling.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I sleep great regardless, this is just a game, not a life event for me. However, there is not one single thing RG3 brings to the position that is better than Romo. Period. RG3 needs to be in a one read offense, that's all he can do. If not open, run. Our offense and most NFL offenses require that the QB be able to read a defense and see where the weak points are and get their team in the best play to succeed. RG3 is either to stupid to learn that or to lazy to learn it, either way, he is a waste of space as an NFL QB. But its ok, he won't play but a game or two before he is carted off the field like every other year he has pretended to be a QB in this league.

Thing is all QB in the NFL need to be able to read and make adjustment at the line to take advantage of the defense. RGIII has shown himself to be a 1 read QB if it is not there he pretty much becomes a RB and all that has lead to is injury and benching

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Newton was not as much of a reclamation as it was simple development in the same system.

I see a lot of people advocating for Griffin but nobody wants to discuss exactly how he is going to be rehabilitated.

Who really thinks we have the coaching expertise to take on this kind of a project, where better minds (ala Shanahan) have failed?

That's a key component that nobody wants to talk about. Anyone advocating the move needs to take a good, hard look at what this staff has done with any quarterback not named Romo.

Scary stuff.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
fixed
0722319001451848389_filepicker.jpg

yikes...lol

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
However, there is not one single thing RG3 brings to the position that is better than Romo. Period. RG3 needs to be in a one read offense, that's all he can do. If not open, run. Our offense and most NFL offenses require that the QB be able to read a defense and see where the weak points are and get their team in the best play to succeed. RG3 is either to stupid to learn that or to lazy to learn it, either way, he is a waste of space as an NFL QB. But its ok, he won't play but a game or two before he is carted off the field like every other year he has pretended to be a QB in this league.

This!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
How much dama can a backup QB actually create? If he sits behind Romo for a couple years, he will become a non-story . The media went crazy over him in Cleveland because he was a first round pick with expectations to start. Those problems will not surface in Dallas. I have made the point before that he is still a 23year old kid that could learn a lot from Romo. I have never saw player that the media harasses like Manziel. He is a kid that likes beer and women. That is normal except he has media coverage watching his every move. I have never seen a kid that draws so much hate for beings typical 23 year old. He has much higher upside than RG3, who can't read a defense and has an arrogant attitude. The whole situation puzzles me how so much hate an be directed at one young an.

Are you talking about Johnny football?

I actually don't mind him partying and goofy antics. But when I heard reports that he might have had a physical altercation with his girlfriend and that he's under investigation, it might be time to tap the brakes a little bit before we say he's the next coming of Romo.

If he gets this media attention in a nonmedia-centric team like the Browns, I can imagine how bad its going to be here in Dallas. Hardy tweets something about Brady's wife and the whole world goes armageddon over it. Thus I'm less incline to having him here in Dallas. Even though he gets to sit and learn on the bench he takes up a roster spot which could be used for someone else besides him.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I can live with that if there is a QB at No. 4 worth taking. I'm of the belief that we have to use that fourth overall pick to get a difference-maker on this team. I don't want to elevate a QB to the fourth spot just because we feel we should take one to take advantage of drafting that high. Taking advantage of drafting that high is getting one of the top five players in this draft, whatever his position might be.

Now, if there's no discernible rating difference between the fourth-ranked player than say a QB ranked 10th, then I would take advantage of the opportunity we have to get that QB.

In other words, it isn't going to make me upset if Dallas takes a QB at 4 or if it takes another player because I'm going to assume that Dallas is taking a player it believes is rated among the top players available. I will be upset if we squander the opportunity to draft a top-of-the-draft player by trading down for a lesser player.

It's a whole new ballgame when it comes to the QB position. Many people thought that Matt Ryan wasn't a top-5 player in his draft. The Dolphins tried to get cute, draft the clear #1 overall player in Jake Long and get Chad Henne in the 2nd round. And look where it got them.

Finding a good QB outside of the first round is very hard to do compared to any other position in the game. I don't think it's wise to reach too much like the Fins did with Tannehill. Although I don't think Tannehill should have started right away either.

But, if there's a QB that we legitimately believe can turn into a good franchise QB that isn't rated in the top-5 players in this draft, we should take him because the game is dictated by QB play and quality QB's are a scarce resource.

YR

Craig

Reaction score
Are you talking about Johnny football?

I actually don't mind him partying and goofy antics. But when I heard reports that he might have had a physical altercation with his girlfriend and that he's under investigation, it might be time to tap the brakes a little bit before we say he's the next coming of Romo.

If he gets this media attention in a nonmedia-centric team like the Browns, I can imagine how bad its going to be here in Dallas. Hardy tweets something about Brady's wife and the whole world goes armageddon over it. Thus I'm less incline to having him here in Dallas. Even though he gets to sit and learn on the bench he takes up a roster spot which could be used for someone else besides him.

Are you referring to reports of an altercation with a female from last week or the ones from a month or so ago? Stay away from that guy. Where theres smoke theres scumbag.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
1.RG .....has sat out a year after playing badly, and the year before mostly out with injury.
Has one really bad knee/ leg, and similar to Romo 1 bad hit on that knee, he could be done fore the year.
RG hAd 1 good year , back when he ran the ball good and a lot.
After coming back from that injury, he was Just mediocre.
HIs passing was never that great, and under JG he would flop.

2. JF......Is undersized for a QB, and not a great runner, but can scramble and run.
So far the best JF has done is mediocre. he has hit some long TD passes, and ran for a TD or 2.
Under JG he would flop.

I think both QB's need a team and HC and OC that would devise a offense specifically for them and what they do best.
If that happens either one might be pretty good, but they are not going to fit into most NFL Offenses.

So bottom line is with JG and Linny, RG and JF would be not better or different than Cassel and weeden, and Moore.

-- edit.... well they would be different in that either one could run with the ball
better than the 3 dallas played this year. but that is it , and I just dont think
that would help enough to Say they could be bkups who can win .

Although they maybe could win more than what dallas did in 2015 with bkups
dallas would be hard pressed to do that bad again with any qb, but
with JG here who knows,

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's a whole new ballgame when it comes to the QB position. Many people thought that Matt Ryan wasn't a top-5 player in his draft. The Dolphins tried to get cute, draft the clear #1 overall player in Jake Long and get Chad Henne in the 2nd round. And look where it got them.

Finding a good QB outside of the first round is very hard to do compared to any other position in the game. I don't think it's wise to reach too much like the Fins did with Tannehill. Although I don't think Tannehill should have started right away either.

But, if there's a QB that we legitimately believe can turn into a good franchise QB that isn't rated in the top-5 players in this draft, we should take him because the game is dictated by QB play and quality QB's are a scarce resource.

YR

I think it depends on what not being rated in the top five means.

If there's a QB that we have 10th on our board who isn't considered much of a talent drop-off, or any more of a question mark, than the No. 5 guy, then take the QB.

If there's a QB ranked 10th, and we only have seven guys rated as legitimate first-round talents, then don't take that risk.

Finding a good QB in any round is difficult to do. We're in a great position to draft one of the top ones, but they simply have to be considered worth drafting. ... It doesn't appear we disagree on this. I just wanted to define my stance.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
I sleep great regardless, this is just a game, not a life event for me. However, there is not one single thing RG3 brings to the position that is better than Romo. Period. RG3 needs to be in a one read offense, that's all he can do. If not open, run. Our offense and most NFL offenses require that the QB be able to read a defense and see where the weak points are and get their team in the best play to succeed. RG3 is either to stupid to learn that or to lazy to learn it, either way, he is a waste of space as an NFL QB. But its ok, he won't play but a game or two before he is carted off the field like every other year he has pretended to be a QB in this league.

Maybe it has finally hit him to learn since his career has been sliding into the toilet of late or he will be another one of those unemployed fairly quickly. What better team and opportunity to resurrect their career than with the Cowboys.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
That's a key component that nobody wants to talk about. Anyone advocating the move needs to take a good, hard look at what this staff has done with any quarterback not named Romo.

Scary stuff.

So drafting a QB at #4 with our staff is the answer?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe it has finally hit him to learn since his career has been sliding into the toilet of late or he will be another one of those unemployed fairly quickly. What better team and opportunity to resurrect their career than with the Cowboys.

I think any one that can actually coach and develop quarterbacks would be a better opportunity.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So drafting a QB at #4 with our staff is the answer?

I think the closest one to a finished product is the way to go with this group of coaches. The less required of them the better. That's why I'm not high on Lynch personally, despite his abilities. I think he needs the most work and I have little faith that this staff can give him that.

slick325

Reaction score
Newton was not as much of a reclamation as it was simple development in the same system.

I see a lot of people advocating for Griffin but nobody wants to discuss exactly how he is going to be rehabilitated.

Who really thinks we have the coaching expertise to take on this kind of a project, where better minds (ala Shanahan) have failed?

Alexander, as much respect as I have for Mike Shanahan as a coach I can't co-sign your stance on this one.

Shanahan was on the hot seat going into 2012 having gone 6-10 in 2010 and 5-11 in 2011. Shanahan needed to win and win badly. That's why they traded up for Bob Griffin III and decided to change the offense to what he did in college. Win now mode was the reason behind Read Option in 2012 for the Shanahan's. Had they attempted to actually coach up Griffin it may have taken a few years and they likely would have suffered the same fate that Lovie Smith did this offseason...fired while having drafted a young QB and given no leeway for his growing pains. Remember, Shanahan went 3-13 in his final season in Washington with an injured Griffin plus an unseasoned Cousins. Shanahan didn't light the world on fire at all in Washington.

After getting injured in 2012, the QB wanted to become a pocket QB and run more plays Shanahan had been known for since his days in SF with Steve Young or with another mobile QB in Denver with John Elway. Boots, waggles, with less Read Option. But, having tasted success for the 1st time since Jake Plummer in Denver, the Shanahan's were not going to revert to their offense scheme hoping the one year of success was enough cache for them to have leeway in dealing with setbacks as Griffin developed. Makes absolute sense to me, why fix what's not broken and I get to keep my job.

For sure, Griffin needs work (film study habits, pocket awareness, footwork, knowing how to slide and when to slide, going through progressions faster since the Read Option was primarily a one progression throw-type offense, etc.) and he also has durability issues to boot. But to think that Shanahan truly made the effort to coach him up is being naïve to the fact that Shanahan's job was on the line going into 2012 and knew he wouldn't see the fruits of his labor. By the time Gruden got Griffin, the 1st time HC was knew he had a short leash as well and didn't have the patience to deal with glaring weaknesses Griffin had in the WC offense.

Griffin is a project...no question. Whether the current staff can take on that type of project or even the 1st round future franchise QB (all of those guys need development as well) we all covet remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

Scary stuff.

What other QB have they tried to develop? McGee a project at best when drafted and was prob over drafted but was never more than a Back up QB regardless. Weeden? Cassell? Please no one could have done much with either of them at this point in their careers. Weeden can't make fast decisions and is basically a slower version of RG3, a one read QB.

This staff has done a great job with developing Romo.. I know you guys that hate this staff refuse to give them any credit, but I give them a lot of credit. Romo went from a very erratic QB to one of the elite QB's in the NFL. Its a testament to both Romo and the staff. To think this staff has had nothing to do with Romo's success is just plain stupid. To give credit to Bill P, Sean P or David L is beyond crazy. I am sure they helped, but they were only with Romo for 3 years and he was not even the 2nd string QB for most of that time, so I don't think they spent alot of time with him day in and day out. For the last 8 years, its been Garrett. And it's during that time that Romo has risen to elite status. Garrett and Co. deserve a lot of credit for that.