Cooley's opinion: RG3 is going to Dallas

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Him or Manziel are practically a given. At least I don't need to worry about RG3 leading police on a three-county high speed chase.

Drunk, of course.

....the only thing you've got to worry about is his head exploding trying to read more than one forth of the football field:rolleyes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What other QB have they tried to develop? McGee a project at best when drafted and was prob over drafted but was never more than a Back up QB regardless. Weeden? Cassell? Please no one could have done much with either of them at this point in their careers. Weeden can't make fast decisions and is basically a slower version of RG3, a one read QB.

"Please" is right. The fact is that they have failed miserably with every quarterback they've ever had to play who wasn't named Tony Romo. The Texans managed a win with Weeden after he was there two weeks! These bubblers couldn't manage that over two years! Bill Belicheck won 11 games with Matt Cassel, outside a gift from Desean Moron, these guys couldn't manage 1!

]This staff has done a great job with developing Romo.. I know you guys that hate this staff refuse to give them any credit, but I give them a lot of credit. Romo went from a very erratic QB to one of the elite QB's in the NFL. Its a testament to both Romo and the staff. To think this staff has had nothing to do with Romo's success is just plain stupid.

What's "stupid" is to try to minimize the work of not one, but two Super Bowl winning coaches while trying to manufacture credit for these clowns.

To give credit to Bill P, Sean P or David L is beyond crazy. I am sure they helped, but they were only with Romo for 3 years and he was not even the 2nd string QB for most of that time, so I don't think they spent alot of time with him day in and day out. For the last 8 years, its been Garrett. And it's during that time that Romo has risen to elite status. Garrett and Co. deserve a lot of credit for that.

They laid the foundation for Romo. They showed him how to work, and what it takes to be an NFL quarterback. One need look no further than the fact that Wade Wilson's departure and return to the Cowboys coincides with Parcells coming and going. A Hall of Fame coach wanted no part of that idiot ruining his quarterbacks.

If would be one thing if the Cowboys had a few misses along the way, but the fact is that these guys can't win anything if Romo's not out there to cover for their obvious deficiencies.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I bet he ends up w/ the Browns.....they really wanted him a few years ago....Watch him and Josh Gordon rebound. Plus Cleveland can address another spot on the roster in the 1st...maybe a Myles Jack LB UCLA or Laquan Tredwell WR Ole' Miss.

RW31

Reaction score
We'llcheer because we're Cowboys fans, but nobody's going out and buying an RG3 jersey, except Baylor ulumni.
Why wouldn't you go get an RG3 jersey if he plays for us and leads us to the playoffs and wins games for us? Seems rather silly. Also, TO.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you go get an RG3 jersey if he plays for us and leads us to the playoffs and wins games for us? Seems rather silly. Also, TO.

I wonder if fans bought a bunch of Steve Beuerlein jerseys back in the day.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
"Please" is right. The fact is that they have failed miserably with every quarterback they've ever had to play who wasn't named Tony Romo. The Texans managed a win with Weeden after he was there two weeks! These bubblers couldn't manage that over two years! Bill Belicheck won 11 games with Matt Cassel, outside a gift from Desean Moron, these guys couldn't manage 1!

What's "stupid" is to try to minimize the work of not one, but two Super Bowl winning coaches while trying to manufacture credit for these clowns.

They laid the foundation for Romo. They showed him how to work, and what it takes to be an NFL quarterback. One need look no further than the fact that Wade Wilson's departure and return to the Cowboys coincides with Parcells coming and going. A Hall of Fame coach wanted no part of that idiot ruining his quarterbacks.

If would be one thing if the Cowboys had a few misses along the way, but the fact is that these guys can't win anything if Romo's not out there to cover for their obvious deficiencies.

That is not a fact, that is your hatred for the current staff. The texans are exactly what I said weeden needed, a one read offense. They have horrible QBs so their entire system is designed around horrible QB play. They look at Hopkins, if not open, throw it anyway. And I keep hearing this thing 11 game win thing from New England, good lord, it was 10 years ago, when he had an arm. Not the same QB that played in NE in his early 20s. That's lame to even bring up.

I am not minimizing anything from Bill P or Sean P.. but good grief, they worked with Romo as the 3rd and 4th stringer for 2 years and 1 year as the backup. He was not close to a finished product when Bill left and Sean left. I liked my Kindergarten teacher, she was awesome, she helped me a lot, But I am not going to give her credit for my success since I haven't spoke to her in 30 plus years.. They had a good affect on Tony, they helped him, they did their job, but so has Garrett when it comes to Romo. Anyone that denies that is just being silly and quite frankly not even worthy of talking the game of football on an intelligent level.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That is not a fact, that is your hatred for the current staff. The texans are exactly what I said weeden needed, a one read offense. They have horrible QBs so their entire system is designed around horrible QB play. They look at Hopkins, if not open, throw it anyway. And I keep hearing this thing 11 game win thing from New England, good lord, it was 10 years ago, when he had an arm. Not the same QB that played in NE in his early 20s. That's lame to even bring up.

I am not minimizing anything from Bill P or Sean P.. but good grief, they worked with Romo as the 3rd and 4th stringer for 2 years and 1 year as the backup. He was not close to a finished product when Bill left and Sean left. I liked my Kindergarten teacher, she was awesome, she helped me a lot, But I am not going to give her credit for my success since I haven't spoke to her in 30 plus years.. They had a good affect on Tony, they helped him, they did their job, but so has Garrett when it comes to Romo. Anyone that denies that is just being silly and quite frankly not even worthy of talking the game of football on an intelligent level.

Fully agree with you. The notion that Romo was a fully developed QB once Payton and BP left is laughable. I have no doubt there are things he learned from them but you don't stop learning and developing and Romo has over the years. I get the frustration of this past season and Garrett and staff deserve their fair share of the blame but people acting like Garrett has no clue are themselves clueless. He has spent time in the NFL at the position, as a QB coach, OC and HC and comes from a family who has been in this sport for many years I'm sure Garrett has a lot more knowledge than a bunch of us message board gurus. Again it does not give him a pass on a bad season

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I bet he ends up w/ the Browns.....they really wanted him a few years ago....Watch him and Josh Gordon rebound. Plus Cleveland can address another spot on the roster in the 1st...maybe a Myles Jack LB UCLA or Laquan Tredwell WR Ole' Miss.

If he wants to start, that might be his best opportunity. However, I would still take a QB in the first round if I were Cleveland.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is not a fact, that is your hatred for the current staff.

Brad Johnson 1-2 record
Stephen McGee 1-0 record
Jon Kitna 4-5 record
Kyle Orton 0-1 record
Brandon Weeden 0-4 record
Matt Cassel 1-6 record
Kellen Moore 0-2 record

That 7-20 sums things up pretty well, in addition to the fact that the Desean Jackson gift in the Commanders game was the team's first win in 5 years without Romo starting. The awful truth.

The texans are exactly what I said weeden needed, a one read offense. They have horrible QBs so their entire system is designed around horrible QB play. They look at Hopkins, if not open, throw it anyway. And I keep hearing this thing 11 game win thing from New England, good lord, it was 10 years ago, when he had an arm. Not the same QB that played in NE in his early 20s. That's lame to even bring up.

Sorry that it happened, but it did. Deal with it. A good coach found a way to win, a lousy one couldn't.

Sure looks like that's what you're trying to do. Look, when there's 1 example of success and 7 examples of failure, the success is the anomaly, not the norm.

RW31

Reaction score
I wonder if fans bought a bunch of Steve Beuerlein jerseys back in the day.
Here are the selling jerseys on NFLShop.com from April 1-Oct. 15 2008:
  • 1. Brett Favre, New York Jets
  • 2. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
  • 3. Eli Manning, New York Giants
  • 4. Marion Barber, Dallas Cowboys
  • 5. Tom Brady, New England Patriots
  • 6. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings
  • 7. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts
  • 8. Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys
  • 9. LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers
  • 10. Terrell Owens, Dallas Cowboys
Try again.

Ren

Reaction score
RG3 in our offense would be a disaster, I really hope he's not our plan at QB

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
That would be a great story line.

I just cant bring myself to like this guy.

Just wanted to add......

I am a big beleiver in second chances. For everybody. But there are so many chances ....then they sort of disappear. Especially in the NFL.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yea, its too risky to take a QB in the top 10, we need to go the safe route and draft a CB since they never bust................cough *Claiborne* cough

oh wait....

Every player has a risk factor but some more than others. But you have a point. There is more bust factor for all QBs in the first than CBs though.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
With this miserable system, I am not sure if it will be the right fit but they could do far worse than take a chance on the upside of an RGIII.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
5 years at #4 slot money? C'mon. And RGIII is probably looking at about $5 million a year for a multi year deal. That's some real money for a 3 person position.

All first round picks get 4 years on their rookie contract with a 5th year option. That is why top picks are like gold now days with the rookie cap in place.

And as far as RG3, he can go play somewhere else for $5 million a season.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think the closest one to a finished product is the way to go with this group of coaches. The less required of them the better. That's why I'm not high on Lynch personally, despite his abilities. I think he needs the most work and I have little faith that this staff can give him that.

Exactly..............the less developing he needs the better, I have zero faith in this coaching staff when it comes to coaching up QBs.

1-11 with 3 different vets just sends up so many red flags for me.

That is why I say that if pass on Goff or Wentz, just forget about it. Drafting Connor Cook or somebody else in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop is a complete waste of time with this staff.

CCBoy

Reaction score
All first round picks get 4 years on their rookie contract with a 5th year option. That is why top picks are like gold now days with the rookie cap in place.

And as far as RG3, he can go play somewhere else for $5 million a season.

For cap purposes...they are the same.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Exactly..............the less developing he needs the better, I have zero faith in this coaching staff when it comes to coaching up QBs.

1-11 with 3 different vets just sends up so many red flags for me.

That is why I say that if pass on Goff or Wentz, just forget about it. Drafting Connor Cook or somebody else in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop is a complete waste of time with this staff.

Perfectly phrased.