Signed by Cowboys Cooper agreed to terms

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He just needs to be better than Looney, which shouldn't be difficult.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I wonder if this means that no attempt will be made to re-sign Leary. Dallas could see Cooper as the depth to replace him with Collins back in the lineup next year. Of course, Cooper has a lot to prove so that wouldn't seem like a wise move for Dallas ... but at this point, it has to seem likely that Leary will leave in free agency.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
13-everything-is-awesom.w529.h352.jpg
I now have that song stuck in my head. Thanks, Stash.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Good point
If you end up not bringing Leary back in 2017, Collins would need a decent backup. He might end up being even more than that.

Seems that he has been on the losing end of business decisions made by Arizona and New England. I would be reticent to judge the career of any player having played in Cleveland. I think he should be a decent backup above replacement level at the least...someone who could come in and be solid once familiar with the offense.

http://nfltraderumors.co/patriots-release-g-jonathan-cooper/

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't understand why the Cardinals cut him so quick?

He should be on a rookie deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if this means that no attempt will be made to re-sign Leary. Dallas could see Cooper as the depth to replace him with Collins back in the lineup next year. Of course, Cooper has a lot to prove so that wouldn't seem like a wise move for Dallas ... but at this point, it has to seem likely that Leary will leave in free agency.

I think that's a given. Leary is very likely to get a big contract, one that the Cowboys can't afford to match. They can't pay their entire line big money.

kramskoi

Reaction score
I don't understand why the Cardinals cut him so quick?

He should be on a rookie deal.
It was trade where Arizona got a draft pick.
Cardinals traded him to NE for Chandler Jones
Right...

The Cardinals traded him to the Patriots as part of the Chandler Jones trade. Although, New England declined to pick up Cooper’s fifth-year option back in May, so the trade with the Cardinals was really about freeing up some cap space and acquiring a draft pick in the process.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was trade where Arizona got a draft pick.

Right...

The Cardinals traded him to the Patriots as part of the Chandler Jones trade. Although, New England declined to pick up Cooper’s fifth-year option back in May, so the trade with the Cardinals was really about freeing up some cap space and acquiring a draft pick in the process.

They did the same with the LB they traded to the Browns. Can't remember his name. But his contract was coming up, he was a bit of a head case I think, but not sure. They got a draft pick from the Browns.
NE now can get more players, or have extra picks to move up if they want.