CFZ Cooper Rush is one of those odd "gamer" guys

erod

Reaction score
Full transparency, I wanted Cooper Rush out of here this preseason. Said it so here. He looked lifeless and weak-armed, and it instilled no confidence in me at all. I wanted a fresh Will Grier for a change of scenery and a more dynamic option.

I was wrong.

Let us finally accept the truth. Cooper Rush is very much a legitimate backup quarterback in the NFL. He's cool and calm, and he gives you a chance to win. And that's all you can expect from a backup quarterback in the end, isn't it?

Rush is one of those weird NFL players who only looks good in actual games. He's the last guy to get your attention in practice or a preseason game, but when the lights come on, he's not overwhelmed or hurried or scared of the moment. He manages the game just fine.

Cliche warning alert....he's a "gamer."

Certainly, there's nothing amazing about his performances, but it is clear the rest of the players trust him to do his part as a backup. He knows the offense very well, and gets the ball out quickly so receivers can do something with it when they catch it.

Twice now he's engineered drives to win a game against a good team. Yes, the defense was good in both of those games, as they've been early in this season. But that only matters if Rush does his part, which he has.

Some are saying that the league will get the book on him, but that's not really pertinent here. He doesn't have a "game" per se to prepare for. He just takes what's given and delivers the ball where it needs to be on time most of the time. He's moving the team pretty well, especially when it matters most.

The Cowboys have a real chance to be 3-1 in two weeks if they keep their minds and focus about them and support Rush.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I agree. He's the opposite of a guy like Brandon Weeden who had the strong arm and always looked great in practice but just did not have it on Sundays.

Defenses will adjust, but I don't see how there's going to be a "book" on him. He just plays a solid brand of football for a QB. Obviously when he's throwing to the sidelines it's a pick six waiting to happen sometimes but defenses already know that after watching any tape of his. But he attacks the middle of the field, takes what the defense gives him (but at the same time not afraid to take shots downfield,) is decisive, leads receivers open and gives them a chance, all the traits you'd want out of a QB he just doesn't have the most arm talent in the world. I think he'll do just fine but there are going to be games where he has 2-3 interceptions or more bc sometimes his arm will absolutely fail him.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Rush is definitely an adequate back-up. If he can win 2 or 3 of the next 4, he should be carried off the field like Rudy was after his last game in South Bend. Moore can also benefit from this experience going forward by spreading some of that kid glove love toward his Franchise QB.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Full transparency, I wanted Cooper Rush out of here this preseason. Said it so here. He looked lifeless and weak-armed, and it instilled no confidence in me at all. I wanted a fresh Will Grier for a change of scenery and a more dynamic option.

I was wrong.

Let us finally accept the truth. Cooper Rush is very much a legitimate backup quarterback in the NFL. He's cool and calm, and he gives you a chance to win. And that's all you can expect from a backup quarterback in the end, isn't it?

Rush is one of those weird NFL players who only looks good in actual games. He's the last guy to get your attention in practice or a preseason game, but when the lights come on, he's not overwhelmed or hurried or scared of the moment. He manages the game just fine.

Certainly, there's nothing amazing about his performances, but it is clear the rest of the players trust him to do his part as a backup. He knows the offense very well, and gets the ball out quickly so receivers can do something with it when they catch it.

Twice now he's engineered drives to win a game against a good team. Yes, the defense was good in both of those games, as they've been early in this season. But that only matters if Rush does his part, which he has.

Some are saying that the league will get the book on him, but that's not really pertinent here. He doesn't have a "game" per se to prepare for. He just takes what's given and delivers the ball where it needs to be on time most of the time. He's moving the team pretty well, especially when it matters most.

The Cowboys have a real chance to be 3-1 in two weeks if they keep their minds and focus about them and support Rush.

We’ll see how it goes. I think it says a lot about how important it is to have plenty of development time before starting games in this league. Especially within the same offensive scheme for several years. What type of career would Romo or for that matter Rodgers have had without years of preparatory work before starting. Mahomes, Carson Palmer, and several others benefited greatly in my opinion.

He does not have a cannon arm. He does not get too flustered though and has good touch and ability to hit receivers in stride-as long as it’s not an out route. He must step into his throws to get the amount of power that some guys get by flicking their wrist. He is much more comfortable as a traditional pocket passer than Dak-which suits Moore’s offensive identity better.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I was wrong.

Everybody wanted Cooper out of here. There was not one person on this board advocating for Cooper Rush to be the back-up QB. We argued all off season about how screwed we would be if Dak went down. So, its not just you. Cooper just surprised everyone. This is way more impressive than the game against MN last year as Cincy is a much better team and defending AFC champs. I don't think any game is unwinable if he can execute the offense as he did yesterday.

erod

Reaction score
I agree. He's the opposite of a guy like Brandon Weeden who had the strong arm and always looked great in practice but just did not have it on Sundays.

Defenses will adjust, but I don't see how there's going to be a "book" on him. He just plays a solid brand of football for a QB. Obviously when he's throwing to the sidelines it's a pick six waiting to happen sometimes but defenses already know that after watching any tape of his. But he attacks the middle of the field, takes what the defense gives him (but at the same time not afraid to take shots downfield,) is decisive, leads receivers open and gives them a chance, all the traits you'd want out of a QB he just doesn't have the most arm talent in the world. I think he'll do just fine but there are going to be games where he has 2-3 interceptions or more bc sometimes his arm will absolutely fail him.
Yeah, I don't like the sideline routes from Rush either with the lack of velocity. Don't like them from Dak either because he always throws behind the receiver on those.

It'll be interesting this week now that he has an extra bounce in his step and the full confidence of the team. I'd bet he takes more chances downfield.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He played like he knew what he was doing. Crisp passes, quick release, and good command of quick plays, such as quick pitches to RBs. I was bothered by the second half passes that could have been interceptions, but I am not sure if that was due to him or the receivers or both.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't like the sideline routes from Rush either with the lack of velocity. Don't like them from Dak either because he always throws behind the receiver on those.

It'll be interesting this week now that he has an extra bounce in his step and the full confidence of the team. I'd bet he takes more chances downfield.

Yeah I saw one play where it was just a bad decision to throw to the sideline instead of throwing it away or taking a sack bc the ball was too late. That should have probably been picked off. Granted if he got the ball out earlier it probably could have been a completion. But then there were at least a couple sideline throws where his arm just didn't look strong enough to get it there quick enough. On the flip side, when he snapped it and immediately threw the ball to CeeDee on that first screen in the first quarter he got the ball out quick and it was accurate and I thought it was safe.

But thus far he's definitely proven himself as a backup. If his arm was stronger he'd probably be a starter somewhere.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I think the temperament is there , may be underneath all calm , there is competitive spirit also. Those are some of the biggest factors for a QB.

of course Arm strength ( some high passes , some with no zip ) those are the drawbacks, but give him adequate OL and decent catchers he will execute the game plan to the best he can.

it has to be seen , now there is some tape, And DCs game plan for him, how he upps his game.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everybody wanted Cooper out of here. There was not one person on this board advocating for Cooper Rush to be the back-up QB. We argued all off season about how screwed we would be if Dak went down. So, its not just you. Cooper just surprised everyone. This is way more impressive than the game against MN last year as Cincy is a much better team and defending AFC champs. I don't think any game is unwinable if he can execute the offense as he did yesterday.
I wanted Will Grier, but I will take anyone who performs well enough to win. Gotta give him kuddos, he got the job done twice now under pressure. Seems like the play calls were good in the first half, and questionable in the second.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He did good. Made the throws he needs to. But the run game made the day. Got away from it in the second half and ended up with a nail biter. Even when they stack the line we have to run through it. Thats where Elliot is good. But I hope Moore learned from it. That last second FG gave me a heart attack. I thought he missed it until I saw them celebrating. Lol

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted Will Grier, but I will take anyone who performs well enough to win. Gotta give him kuddos, he got the job done twice now under pressure. Seems like the play calls were good in the first half, and questionable in the second.

Me too. I've never been happier to be wrong. He can execute the offense. The second half play calling was pretty bad but the Bengals had some crazy long drives in the second half. I think they had a 19 play , 10 minute drive in the 3rd quarter. So, the offense never got untracked. But I didn't like those Zeke dives into the teeth of the defense either. Play calling got real conservative.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I saw one play where it was just a bad decision to throw to the sideline instead of throwing it away or taking a sack bc the ball was too late. That should have probably been picked off. Granted if he got the ball out earlier it probably could have been a completion. But then there were at least a couple sideline throws where his arm just didn't look strong enough to get it there quick enough. On the flip side, when he snapped it and immediately threw the ball to CeeDee on that first screen in the first quarter he got the ball out quick and it was accurate and I thought it was safe.

But thus far he's definitely proven himself as a backup. If his arm was stronger he'd probably be a starter somewhere.
His arm strength might be a matter of confidence, but he had some bullets to the receivers and a long overthrow that looked like it had power. Some of his passes could have been INTs.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He did good. Made the throws he needs to. But the run game made the day. Got away from it in the second half and ended up with a nail biter. Even when they stack the line we have to run through it. Thats where Elliot is good. But I hope Moore learned from it. That last second FG gave me a heart attack. I thought he missed it until I saw them celebrating. Lol

Elliot had 4-5 carries in the third quarter to no effect. The reason Elliot had some room to run on the first half is b/c Cooper Rush had the safeties backed off with those deep throws. Moore was way too conservative in the second half. He was playing not to lose and that's not what got us a 17-3 lead.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
People will be in tank mode again after we lose next Monday to the Giants.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Elliot had 4-5 carries in the third quarter to no effect. The reason Elliot had some room to run on the first half is b/c Cooper Rush had the safeties backed off with those deep throws. Moore was way too conservative in the second half. He was playing not to lose and that's not what got us a 17-3 lead.
Same way I feel. I will almost say I was wrong about Noah Brown. He had a good game again. I believe it was him with the 17 yard catch on that early 4th down. That really started to define the game. We miss that one and could have been trouble.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same way I feel. I will almost say I was wrong about Noah Brown. He had a good game again. I believe it was him with the 17 yard catch on that early 4th down. That really started to define the game. We miss that one and could have been trouble.

He missed a couple deep ball too but it clearly impacted Cincy's defense b/c unlike last week when Tampa knew Dak wasn't going to throw the ball more than 10 yards, Cincy had to respect the deep ball. That really opened up some lanes for Zeke and Pollard.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me too. I've never been happier to be wrong. He can execute the offense. The second half play calling was pretty bad but the Bengals had some crazy long drives in the second half. I think they had a 19 play , 10 minute drive in the 3rd quarter. So, the offense never got untracked. But I didn't like those Zeke dives into the teeth of the defense either. Play calling got real conservative.
Hope KMO gets a clue and stops calling plays to stay safe. The trick plays can stop any time too. Oline did a good job. The blocking on some runs was surgical.