CFZ Cooper Rush is one of those odd "gamer" guys

erod

Reaction score
I wanted Will Grier, but I will take anyone who performs well enough to win. Gotta give him kuddos, he got the job done twice now under pressure. Seems like the play calls were good in the first half, and questionable in the second.
If Dalton doesn't fumble, that game could have been over at 24-9. But these NFL games usually tighten up late. How did the Raiders give up a 13-point lead with less than two minutes left?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Full transparency, I wanted Cooper Rush out of here this preseason. Said it so here. He looked lifeless and weak-armed, and it instilled no confidence in me at all. I wanted a fresh Will Grier for a change of scenery and a more dynamic option.

I was wrong.

Let us finally accept the truth. Cooper Rush is very much a legitimate backup quarterback in the NFL. He's cool and calm, and he gives you a chance to win. And that's all you can expect from a backup quarterback in the end, isn't it?

Rush is one of those weird NFL players who only looks good in actual games. He's the last guy to get your attention in practice or a preseason game, but when the lights come on, he's not overwhelmed or hurried or scared of the moment. He manages the game just fine.

Cliche warning alert....he's a "gamer."

Certainly, there's nothing amazing about his performances, but it is clear the rest of the players trust him to do his part as a backup. He knows the offense very well, and gets the ball out quickly so receivers can do something with it when they catch it.

Twice now he's engineered drives to win a game against a good team. Yes, the defense was good in both of those games, as they've been early in this season. But that only matters if Rush does his part, which he has.

Some are saying that the league will get the book on him, but that's not really pertinent here. He doesn't have a "game" per se to prepare for. He just takes what's given and delivers the ball where it needs to be on time most of the time. He's moving the team pretty well, especially when it matters most.

The Cowboys have a real chance to be 3-1 in two weeks if they keep their minds and focus about them and support Rush.

I don't care if he throws 5 int out there at least we have a QB who throws it downfield without a 2nd thought.
Unlike the lego man......jeez like watching paint dry with that Prescott.
Think our WR agrees with the above!!!

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dalton doesn't fumble, that game could have been over at 24-9. But these NFL games usually tighten up late. How did the Raiders give up a 13-point lead with less than two minutes left?
We would have scored again if not for that fumble. He'll get ball-holding drills this week.
Browns and Raiders have to run extra laps this week. Lot of tight games yesterday.

Reaction score
Full transparency, I wanted Cooper Rush out of here this preseason. Said it so here. He looked lifeless and weak-armed, and it instilled no confidence in me at all. I wanted a fresh Will Grier for a change of scenery and a more dynamic option.

I was wrong.

Let us finally accept the truth. Cooper Rush is very much a legitimate backup quarterback in the NFL. He's cool and calm, and he gives you a chance to win. And that's all you can expect from a backup quarterback in the end, isn't it?

Rush is one of those weird NFL players who only looks good in actual games. He's the last guy to get your attention in practice or a preseason game, but when the lights come on, he's not overwhelmed or hurried or scared of the moment. He manages the game just fine.

Certainly, there's nothing amazing about his performances, but it is clear the rest of the players trust him to do his part as a backup. He knows the offense very well, and gets the ball out quickly so receivers can do something with it when they catch it.

Twice now he's engineered drives to win a game against a good team. Yes, the defense was good in both of those games, as they've been early in this season. But that only matters if Rush does his part, which he has.

Some are saying that the league will get the book on him, but that's not really pertinent here. He doesn't have a "game" per se to prepare for. He just takes what's given and delivers the ball where it needs to be on time most of the time. He's moving the team pretty well, especially when it matters most.

The Cowboys have a real chance to be 3-1 in two weeks if they keep their minds and focus about them and support Rush.

Temperament/ mindset is a huge thing IMO, it's what derails Dak in those "mojo moments" when he stresses out and can't read what's in front of him.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I think the temperament is there , may be underneath all calm , there is competitive spirit also. Those are some of the biggest factors for a QB.

of course Arm strength ( some high passes , some with no zip ) those are the drawbacks, but give him adequate OL and decent catchers he will execute the game plan to the best he can.

it has to be seen , now there is some tape, And DCs game plan for him, how he upps his game.
Gallup and Peters are on their way

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I know guys are filling up on the Coop bandwagon, but I wouldn't exactly rush to load up too quickly.
There's not enough tape on him.
The better coaches will get a few game tapes and decipher very quickly his strengths and weaknesses.
I'm playing it cool with Coop.
Like what I saw, but we still got several games left.
He's a backup for a reason.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Everybody wanted Cooper out of here. There was not one person on this board advocating for Cooper Rush to be the back-up QB. We argued all off season about how screwed we would be if Dak went down. So, its not just you. Cooper just surprised everyone. This is way more impressive than the game against MN last year as Cincy is a much better team and defending AFC champs. I don't think any game is unwinable if he can execute the offense as he did yesterday.
I think this is a Testament to Kellen and Micah . . . we can't give all the credit to Rush for the Victory but at the same time he showed Moore's game plan can be effective

Even with a PS QB that nobody wants. . . and a group of Free agent Pickups an over rated Bust who will never be a true number #1 and a Wide out who is nothing more then a glorified TE. . . and oh yeah The O Line is in Shambles and has been over rated for years now

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know guys are filling up on the Coop bandwagon, but I wouldn't exactly rush to load up too quickly.
There's not enough tape on him.
The better coaches will get a few game tapes and decipher very quickly his strengths and weaknesses.
I'm playing it cool with Coop.
Like what I saw, but we still got several games left.
He's a backup for a reason.
For sure. KMO has to give them a chance, too. Just win baby!!

NotForLong

Reaction score
He did good. Made the throws he needs to. But the run game made the day. Got away from it in the second half and ended up with a nail biter. Even when they stack the line we have to run through it. Thats where Elliot is good. But I hope Moore learned from it. That last second FG gave me a heart attack. I thought he missed it until I saw them celebrating. Lol
I believe Peters elevates the Run Game by allowing Smith to play guard

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Everybody wanted Cooper out of here. There was not one person on this board advocating for Cooper Rush to be the back-up QB. We argued all off season about how screwed we would be if Dak went down. So, its not just you. Cooper just surprised everyone. This is way more impressive than the game against MN last year as Cincy is a much better team and defending AFC champs. I don't think any game is unwinable if he can execute the offense as he did yesterday.
Actually I did. Won't look for the thread but to me neither Grier nor Thenooch looked better than Rush. Actually I signed up to support him last year before the Minny game.

Of course he has some serious limits which will hold him back but what's important to me is that the team seems to connect with him. His offense, his coordinator and the HC all kinda work for him and tailor the game to fit his skill set. This won't be enough for beating some true contenders but Cincy isn't exactly a bad team. And with him we can beat any team in the NFC east.

If only our starter could find whatever he had during the first 6 games last year. Whatever it was, he lost it with the calf injury and never got it back. I really hope he watches this team closely now and just shuts the F up. No more of that "bump in the road" or "best off season ever" crap. Some people thought that was leadership lol. But it was just nonsense. So Dak, just shut up and work your arse of. For the team. Lead by example, not by Twitter posts.

Then I can take you serious as a fan again.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

I was wrong.

Yep!
He is super bus driver!
Can he drive us all the way to the SB ?

NotForLong

Reaction score
Will be a good thing. Maybe he plays this week against the giants. Gallup also…
That would be ideal . . . would take a lot of pressure off the team to add that amount of talent (Assuming Peters has something left in the tank)

At the same time this young o line looks like they are willing to step up to the occasion if called upon which makes that unit a strength

While some may be againstoving Smith around I think He is unique and has already shown the ability to handle the transitions. . . . If Peters allows Smith to move over . . . I say do it . . . Smith would be an animal in the run game and Peters can hold down the edge in the passing game

Almost makes perfect sense but then again we are talking about the Jerry Jones Cowboys and His Will reigns supreme

My fingers are crossed

8FOR!3

Reaction score
His arm strength might be a matter of confidence, but he had some bullets to the receivers and a long overthrow that looked like it had power. Some of his passes could have been INTs.

Hmm I do tend to agree that a few throws looked like bullets so that might have something to do with it