Coples or Decastro

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
DFWJC;4480658 said:
DeCastro seems safer, imo.
But Coples could easily get to 295-300 lbs and not lose a step. He will be very good and his upside is sick.

Tough call, imo.

Packing on 20-30 lbs to play DE (In a 3-4,) or dropping 15-25 lbs to play OLB.. Hmmmm

Sounds like an experiment (Not something to be done with a 1st rounder..)

Leadbelly

Reaction score
It's a dead heat.

I go Coples because there will be quality Guards available with our pick in round 2. Amini Silatolu has an Erik Williams kind of aggressiveness.

But there's also Brandon Brooks, Kevin Zeitler, Brandon Washington, etc.

Or maybe Center with Peter Konz or Ben Jones.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I would say Coples, only because there will still be a good crop of guards available in rounds 2 & 3....As for 3-4 DE, this is a relatively weak class for the position, so if we are in a position to get the best available, take it.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;4480677 said:
Packing on 20-30 lbs to play DE (In a 3-4,) or dropping 15-25 lbs to play OLB.. Hmmmm

He is almost exactly the size of Mario Williams (Williams 6-6 283, Coples 6-6 284) so the Cowboys would more than likely use him in the same manner that most envisioned for Williams.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 Arizona is "hearing" that the Cardinals prefer Stanford OG David DeCastro over Stanford OT Jonathan Martin, assuming both make it to the No. 13 overall pick.

DeCastro better fits the Cardinals' mentality from a physicality standpoint. This also suggests Arizona is looking more for interior linemen than tackles at this point, although the team needs help in both areas. There's little doubt DeCastro is a better prospect than his college teammate, regardless of position.

DFWJC

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;4480677 said:

"packing" on about 10-20 lbs would be all he would need.
The guy already gained 20 lbs and you can't even tell.

Hey, I voted DeCastro....just sayin'.

dez_for_prez

Reaction score
I would be happy with either but DeCastro seems to be more of a sure thing, if there are "sure things"

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I think Decastro is more of a sure thing too but feel that Coples has more upside potential. Would love to finally put pressure on opposing teams QB's and then let our CB's/ secondary shine. We could then pick up some offensive line help with our next pick or 2. If Coples turns into a Mario Williams type player... it could be HUGE for our team. It's very possible both of these guys could be gone before 14 though.

Fredd

Reaction score
well, I think that DeCastro is the safer pick to ensure less "bust-dome"...but, I think that Coples could be dynamic and cause enough issues for opposing QB's that our D would take off...

...my preference is Coples, although it is close

GREAT QUESTION!

BTW, it is posted above by Cowboy Ron that the Cards may prefer DD to Martin? That is a tantalizing issue to have for the Cowboys (if they want an OL)...if the cards go with DD, then we pick Martin who could play RT since he is a beast and then move Free back in to the interior of the line....they you decide what to do with center (would bernie play center?) and BAM you have a very good OL...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Murphy's Law is a fickled tag-along. It's possible that both could be gone by fourteen.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I've been clear I want DeCastro, but in this case, I'd go Coples.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
AsthmaField;4480644 said:
DeCastro, but then I like him for Dallas just about more than any player in this draft... and I worry about Couples desire and love of the game.

DeCastro could play center if we need him to. If both Livings and Bernadeau play well in camp and look like starters, then DeCastro learns to play center and make the line calls. He would probably be very good, very fast at the pivot.

If we end up drafting Blake later in the draft, then DeCastro goes to G and the best of Livings/Bernadeau plays at the other G spot. A totally new interior OL with better than solid backups.

It's a dream scenario for me.

It would certainly solidify our offensive line for years to come but what about defense? I'm looking for some kind of balance between the 2. I think there is more depth in the draft for oline than the defensive line.. so I would like to take Coples or similar first and then focus a little more on our oline with the next couple of picks. I think that is the direction the Cowboys are headed too. Although I could be wrong.

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField;4480644 said:
DeCastro, but then I like him for Dallas just about more than any player in this draft... and I worry about Couples desire and love of the game.

DeCastro could play center if we need him to. If both Livings and Bernadeau play well in camp and look like starters, then DeCastro learns to play center and make the line calls. He would probably be very good, very fast at the pivot.

If we end up drafting Blake later in the draft, then DeCastro goes to G and the best of Livings/Bernadeau plays at the other G spot. A totally new interior OL with better than solid backups.

It's a dream scenario for me.

I'm on board with this. I still want DeCastro at 14, but I'm also starting to think that won't happen.

Duane

Reaction score
My head tells me passrushers are more valuable than interior linemen but my heart really wants DeCastro.

rash

Reaction score
Duane;4481560 said:
My head tells me passrushers are more valuable than interior linemen but my heart really wants DeCastro.
ditto.
If both of these guys are on the board, and we don't take one of them, I will be pretty disappointed...

Unfortunately, I think both guys will be gone by 14...

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
As a Tar Heel fan I've watched a lot of Coples and I feel like he has a very high bust quotient in him. Meanwhile I believe DeCastro is both a safe and dynamic pick.

This one is easy for me.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Screw The Hall;4481717 said:
As a Tar Heel fan I've watched a lot of Coples and I feel like he has a very high bust quotient in him. Meanwhile I believe DeCastro is both a safe and dynamic pick.

This one is easy for me.

That is a good take. I didn't watch either player much in college but I like it when someone who watched them a lot chimes in.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I dont think either guy will be there at #14 and would be ecstatic if Dallas could get either one.

DeCastro is as close to a sure thing as you can get, but at the same time you cant keep passing on pass rushers because you are playing it safe. As much as I have been crying about the offensive line the last decade I would probably take Coples.