Reaction score
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=33818

EAGLES, DT SIMON PART WAYS
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

August 28, 2005
By CHRIS McPHERSON

The Eagles announced Sunday night that they have withdrawn the franchise tag on defensive tackle Corey Simon, meaning that he is now an unrestricted free agent.

"We appreciate all that Corey has done for this organization over the last five years," said head coach Andy Reid in a statement. "With the great amount of depth and talent we have along the defensive line, we chose to give Corey an opportunity to sign with another team."

simon_050131.jpg
DT Simon never signed the tender that would have guaranteed him over $5 million this season

Simon, the team's first-round draft pick and the No. 6 overall selection in 2000, was given the franchise tag in the off-season, meaning he could not sign with another team unless that team were to surrender two first-round draft picks as compensation.

By being given the franchise tag, which was done Feb. 10, Simon would have made the equivalent of the top five paid defensive tackles in the league in 2005 - which would have been approximately $5.1 million.

At the time the tag was placed, head coach Andy Reid was happy with that decision.

"As I said earlier this week, Corey's a good player and his personality fits very well in our locker room," said Reid in February. "He's a talented player against the pass and against the run. We're happy to take this step to keep him in Philadelphia."

However, Simon never signed the tender and did not report to any of the team's mini-camps or training camp.

There were published reports that Simon would come in the week of the season opener, but that will never be known. There were also published reports that Simon had been traded by the Eagles, but Simon and the other team involved could not agree on compensation.

In Simon's place, Darwin Walker has teamed up with Hollis Thomas as the starters at the defensive tackle position. Off the bench has been first-round draft pick Mike Patterson, who has been stellar (two sacks in the preseason).

The play of the other tackles has helped defensive coordinator Jim Johnson not worry about Simon's presence.

"I think we are playing pretty good defense right now. To say I wish Corey was not here, no I wish he was here, but he's not here and I said it before, we just move on," Johnson said. "It's an opportunity for those other guys that are playing pretty well. We are just going to see what happens with Corey. I have no idea." In his five seasons as an Eagle, Simon amassed 270 tackles and 35 sacks. He set the rookie record for sacks with 9.5 in 2000. Simon was named to the 2004 Pro Bowl after posting 64 tackles and 7.5 sacks in the 2003 season.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Jets could use him if they hadn't tied all their cash up in Law.

He'll be working very soon.

Gordon

Reaction score
Another smart move by the Eagles, IMO. He's not worth the money.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Jets could use him if they hadn't tied all their cash up in Law.

He'll be working very soon.

How long until the sign Simon and trade Glover threads start?

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Doubt it, SImon is everything glover is, just not as good.

roywilliamsfan1

Benched
Reaction score
dont trade glover , just sign simon , if we had glover, ferguson, and simon as our dts , that would be great

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I don't know much about the eagles cap situation but could this help them out if they happen to part ways with Owens during the year if he acts up.

Gordon

Reaction score
roywilliamsfan1 said:
dont trade glover , just sign simon , if we had glover, ferguson, and simon as our dts , that would be great

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but exactly how much money do you want to put into one position? We have absolutely no use for Simon.

roywilliamsfan1

Benched
Reaction score
think about it , or dts can rotate the whole game , they wouldnt get tired and our defense could benefit from that a whole lot , just sign him and sign clarett too and release thompson

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Gordon said:
Another smart move by the Eagles, IMO. He's not worth the money.

Imagine the outcry if Parcells would have did it. "They just released him without getting anything for him in a trade?!?!"

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Imagine the outcry if Parcells would have did it. "They just released him without getting anything for him in a trade?!?!"
BINGO!!!

boysfanindc

Reaction score
roywilliamsfan1 said:
think about it , or dts can rotate the whole game , they wouldnt get tired and our defense could benefit from that a whole lot , just sign him and sign clarett too and release thompson

Yes, let's have $40M tied up in 3 DT's. That makes sense.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We don't need another DT. Simon will get a job. He'll get to pick and choose a little although I would be mad at getting released this far into camp.

Better to pick up an OL or even another WR. Better yet an OLB.