Corey Simon is a Free agent

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
roywilliamsfan1 said:
think about it , or dts can rotate the whole game , they wouldnt get tired and our defense could benefit from that a whole lot , just sign him and sign clarett too and release thompson
And La'Roi would still probably end up on 85 % of the plays.

Clarett fell out of favor with Shanahan..exactly why?

Because relatively minor injuries kept him off the practice field during the most critical time of his young career.

Soft bodied and softer minded.

Sounds like a guy who'd last about half a day with Parcells.

Hoov

Reaction score
jobberone said:
We don't need another DT. Simon will get a job. He'll get to pick and choose a little although I would be mad at getting released this far into camp.

Better to pick up an OL or even another WR. Better yet an OLB.

yeah, seems like the eagles waited till now so he'll be scrambling to sign with a team and settle for a lower offer than he would have been able to get if he was released at start of FA period.

Doubt he gets a contract where he is paid among the top 5 DT's which is what he would have got playing for the eagles as franchise player.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Way to much cap room to tie up on a 3rd string DT
I remember reading that no defensive tackle had more sacks than Simon over the past two years. Unfortunately, he's really not a good fit for this system. He also wants big bucks.

montgod

Reaction score
jobberone said:
We don't need another DT. Simon will get a job. He'll get to pick and choose a little although I would be mad at getting released this far into camp.

Better to pick up an OL or even another WR. Better yet an OLB.

Exactly! Shoot...at this point...can I get a decent kicker????

HeHateMe

Displaced but Dedicated
Reaction score
I would go after him.

With Fergy gimping around for much of camp, Im not sold he will be 100% this season.

we need a backup plan just in case.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hoov said:
yeah, seems like the eagles waited till now so he'll be scrambling to sign with a team and settle for a lower offer than he would have been able to get if he was released at start of FA period.

Doubt he gets a contract where he is paid among the top 5 DT's which is what he would have got playing for the eagles as franchise player.

Sounds as if they are punishing him. Being hard line is ok but the Eagles don't need to pick up a rep as being a bad team to play for. I think they need to be careful. I know I would be hesitant to play for them.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
montgod said:
Exactly! Shoot...at this point...can I get a decent kicker????

You are right. That's a better idea. Let's get a better kicker. But the next question is where. Parcells would say, "I can't call 1-800-KICKERS".

I'd love to pick up a better kicker. Where's Morton Anderson? He's my favorite old guy.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Corey Simon could not replace Fergy. He's a guy who shoots gaps, not a guy holds up the point of attack. He's very weak against the run. If his measurables make him look like a nosetackle, its only because he's so ridiculously flabby and out of shape. If he were in shape, he would weigh around 290-295 and would probably play a DE in a 3-4.

I'm just glad that I'll never have to watch him blow up Andre Gurode again. For whatever reason, Gurode simply could not block the man if his life depended on it.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
I'm an FSU fan and love Simon but DT are the least of our concerns right now with that type of contract he'll be looking for. If it was a more "friendly" contract then I'd support it, Glover has impressed and hopefully Ferg comes back in time and healthy.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
i dont know, i do remember something was said about him having a shoulder problem, but if you also remember it was reported that the cowboys were interested in corey simon, jerry jones said they would keep their eye on simon, and then, remember, that jerry jones said they had the money if a big player came available, that would solidfy our defense till jason fergueson would come back, only thing that worries me, our other defensive lineman, first you have greg ellis, glover, fergueson, cason, canty, spears, coleman, ratliff, that gives you 8, add in de obliglu, not sure how to spell his name, parcells said he was 3rd best pass rusher on team, then you add in simon, thats 10 defensive lineman, im afraid a young ratliff, would be let go, yet at same time, corey simon knows eagles plays, he knows offensive lineman tendencies, could help us beat them, and he still has probably 4-5 years left in him, if his shoulder is ok, along with being pumped up wanting to beat eagles. cowboyjoe

Eskimo

Reaction score
You've got to admire the way the Eagles do business.

They play hardball with TO and it looks like they have won for now.

Simon looks like a holdout so they draft his replacement. The replacement is looking good and Simon looks like a protracted holdout so they cut his *** after all the FA money has dried up.

I guess the basic message for Eagles' players is don't screw around with Eagles management. You can and will be replaced. You will not win the battle against the FO.

montgod

Reaction score
jobberone said:
You are right. That's a better idea. Let's get a better kicker. But the next question is where. Parcells would say, "I can't call 1-800-KICKERS".

I'd love to pick up a better kicker. Where's Morton Anderson? He's my favorite old guy.

True, but Elling wouldn't be a bad option depending on when Minnesota cuts him for Edinger.

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Simon will sign with someone.....

BOOK IT!!!

The eagles are presently 15 million under the cap with the release of corey simon.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Imagine the outcry if Parcells would have did it. "They just released him without getting anything for him in a trade?!?!"

At least we do try though ... you gotta give us that. ;)

dwmyers

Reaction score
I don't know how much Corey Simon wants, but if franchise money isn't good enough for him..

We're deeper at DT than we have been in ages, with Glover, Ferguson, and Pepper Johnson all looking pretty good when healthy. Further, Canty and Spears can play some DT, if we need more inside bodies.

David.

Sifillest

Reaction score
the guy could be good, but he would be a lot of money just sitting on teh bench...and the position is pretty much taken care of anyway....plus i dont ever want to trade glover, the guy just screams cowboys and is a beast.....AND hes undersized,so he has great heart...

kmd24

Reaction score
dwmyers said:
I don't know how much Corey Simon wants, but if franchise money isn't good enough for him..

IIRC, the issue is he wants a long term deal.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Plenty of wiggle room under the salary cap (14 - 15 Million $$$) with Corey SImon being sprung. Probably some of it will be spent of tweaking some depth at RB or possibly WR. Not concerned at all about the "D" ...

Simon is replaced, by Darwin Walker, wh has teamed up with Hollis Thomas as the starters at the defensive tackle position. Off the bench has been first-round draft pick Mike Patterson, who has been stellar (two sacks in the preseason thus far).

Cory will provide depth to somone soon -- whoever pays the most under their respective cap purse strings. He's a sound player that would probably fit into any mediocre defensive squad at a time where defensive squads are be solidified.