Corners Confront Wade About Coverage

khiladi

Reaction score
We have been getting beat deep, so the issue of Wade not wanting to get beat deep doesn't hold any water. We have blown zone coverages on deep plays. FOr example, the Santana Moss catch that went for around 30 across the field, Henry left Moss to the LB, who had no idea.

Let this team play, especially considering all the investment in it.

khiladi

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2303402 said:
I'd like to see us play more man but I don't like that it might happen because the players are basically complaining to the coaches in an effort to get things their way. That could set a really bad situation up here if things like that are allowed to happen.

Well, Wade prides himself on being a player's coach, and listening to them. Now it is time for him to actually step up to the plate. Sometimes the players need to step in, because that is the only way a coach is going to change. It is almost a mockery to these players, thinking that they aren't good enough to cover their men...

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
khiladi;2303417 said:
Well, Wade prides himself on being a player's coach, and listening to them. Now it is time for him to actually step up to the plate. Sometimes the players need to step in, because that is the only way a coach is going to change. It is almost a mockery to these players, thinking that they aren't good enough to cover their men...

Maybe so. I just get really nervous when the players seem to start running the place, ya know.

Boysboy

Reaction score
DandyDon1722;2303125 said:
From Another Site....And From A Bengal Fan...And God I hope it's true!

"I was listening to the radio and they had Allan Ball on. He was talking about how hard it is to break into the lineup in Dallas.

He said that all the corners went to the coaching staff and expressed their desire to play more man to man.

Ball says that Wade just doesn't want to get beat deep. But does realize that he has the talent at CB to play man to man this year.

He said the corners are taking it personal as they believe the coaching staff doesn't have faith in them.

He said even the D-line is hoping for a change. They don't like that teams are able to sustain such long drives due to Wade's bend don't break defense.

T.O is expected to get more deep plays per his request. He said that the WR's are worried because they believe that the Jerry has begun to look out of house for a #2 WR. Allan said that the WR's have been busting their butts in practice in an effort to show Jerry that he has all the talent he needs in house.

He also said that Felix has almost doubled his snaps since last week and that we should all expect to see MUCH more from him."

IF Alan Ball really said these things, then we would have heard this 100 X's by now.

This Bengals finally obviously has too much time on his(or her) hands. I mean WAY too much.

khiladi

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2303421 said:
Maybe so. I just get really nervous when the players seem to start running the place, ya know.

I don't think it is actually running the place. Every good leader listens to those in their command. If they don't, they aren't true leaders and need to be canned.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2303209 said:
Nate Newton mentioned on the Talking Cowboys show here in SA, that Newman was very upset and frustrated about the lack of man to man coverage and took his concerns to Stewart.

He didn't say if anything was changing though.

So are you saying TO ISN'T the only one frustrated?:laugh1:

khiladi

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2303209 said:
Nate Newton mentioned on the Talking Cowboys show here in SA, that Newman was very upset and frustrated about the lack of man to man coverage and took his concerns to Stewart.

He didn't say if anything was changing though.

I bet you it was a pride issue as well... It is clear this defensive coaching staff over-reacts, going into a cowardly shell of passivity. It is akin to playing in such a way of hopinh the other team makes a mistake before we do. It is amazing how aggressive our offense is from a coaching philosophy stand-point, and our defense is not. When this offense makes a mistake, they attack again. The same cannot be said for our defense, and it is about time that Wade and Stewart start taking some notes from Garrett.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I would rather the occasional 50 yd bomb, than a series of seven or eight minute drives that kill the offense's momentum.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
As mentioned in a previous thread, what good is man coverage when you play 15 yards off the guy? They will still get the underneath stuff. We need more press coverage to throw off the timing of offenses and stop the short passes. Wade has gone loco if he doesn't see a change is needed. He will prevent defense himself right out of a job.

What is disconcerting is that Wade doesn't see the problem and is reluctant to change the gameplan when we are getting toasted every week. This defense reminds me of the bend don't break defense we played under Parcells, but Parcells wouldn't even allow stunts. I'm starting to wish Jerry Jones was our coach. He would be a risk taker no doubt.

Boysboy

Reaction score
dmq;2303533 said:
As mentioned in a previous thread, what good is man coverage when you play 15 yards off the guy? They will still get the underneath stuff. We need more press coverage to throw off the timing of offenses and stop the short passes. Wade has gone loco if he doesn't see a change is needed. He will prevent defense himself right out of a job.

Did you see the Ravens/Steelers game the other night?

I can honestly say we have more talent than both of those teams, but, en yet, 90% of the time, their secondaries were playing their receivers close and tight at the LOS. You gotta love their DCs Rex Ryan and Dick LeBeau, their Ds just play with an ATTITUDE...you just don't see that mentality with us. No wonder why we crash and burn in Dec.

Rudy

Reaction score
Why are Alan Ball and Bobby Carpenter doing interviews??!! Is this weird to anyone else?? Who's next - Bollinger or that punter we cut in training camp?? I don't get it.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2303135 said:
nope. But I'd rather see some proof before I believe this.

What do you want to see? The link to the other site the OP talked about? What would that prove. The guy he quoted said he heard it on the radio. Unless you think the original poster is lying about seeing this on another site, there isn't anything to see is there?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Rudy;2303572 said:
Why are Alan Ball and Bobby Carpenter doing interviews??!! Is this weird to anyone else?? Who's next - Bollinger or that punter we cut in training camp?? I don't get it.

We are the Cowboys and there is alot of noise in the sports world about the Cowboys. The media is taking anything they can get.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Boysboy;2303540 said:
Did you see the Ravens/Steelers game the other night?

I can honestly say we have more talent than both of those teams, but, en yet, 90% of the time, their secondaries were playing their receivers close and tight at the LOS. You gotta love their DCs Rex Ryan and Dick LeBeau, their Ds just play with an ATTITUDE...you just don't see that mentality with us. No wonder why we crash and burn in Dec.

I agree. We need to bump and run with receivers. Even if they have man coverage responsibilities those dink and dunk offenses are going to eat them alive if they are playing several yards off the line

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
We have a Lamborghini stuck in 2nd gear:bang2:

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nick Eatman mentioned Newman's frustration on The Lunch Break yesterday. He said Newman is really tired of all this playing off the receivers nonsense. Oddly, I think it was supposed to be an off-the-record comment, but Eatman divulged it anyway. So the OP's story might have some truth to it.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2303664 said:
Nick Eatman mentioned Newman's frustration on The Lunch Break yesterday. He said Newman is really tired of all this playing off the receivers nonsense. Oddly, I think it was supposed to be an off-the-record comment, but Eatman divulged it anyway. So the OP's story might have some truth to it.

Well-TO gets frustrated, and all of a sudden he's poison in our locker room.

Really-it was a frustrating loss all around-the last thing you want to do is to lose to an NFCE opponent at HOME. We're in the toughest division in all of football, and we need to protect our own territory.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
CATCH17;2303218 said:
Its not about whether we run man to man or Zone with me. Its about not lining up 8 yards off the receiver.

You have to run zone and you have to run man.

But our zone coverage would be 10 X more effective if we just didn't LET the other teams guys have chunks of yards.
I agree with this.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2303597 said:
What do you want to see? The link to the other site the OP talked about? What would that prove. The guy he quoted said he heard it on the radio. Unless you think the original poster is lying about seeing this on another site, there isn't anything to see is there?

I'm pretty sure if something like this happened there would be some press and WG would come in with an article and link. Since neither happened I doubt the truthfulness of what the OP said.