Corners Confront Wade About Coverage

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
jackrussell;2303175 said:
Well I hope it's not true...and would think we have a coaching staff that could recognize any deficiency and correct it without players 'confronting' them.

El-Nailo..............

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The more I think about the more and more I'd rather risk the occassional 50 yarder bomb rather than give them 7 and 8 minute drives of dink and dunk momentum killing drives.

We proved against Philly that if someone scores on the occassional quick bomb we're more than capable of answering.

Eskimo

Reaction score
We have Newman and Pacman who are both upper echelon man corners with great recovery speed.

We have the rookie Jenkins who was considered a superlative man corner in college, also with good recovery speed - just a bit green with zones and playing off receivers.

Finally, Henry, whose talents are basically wasted if you don't let him get physical with WRs since he is not fast or quick anymore. He just needs a bit of help over the top due to lack of recovery speed.

We probably have the best man cover secondary in the league and yet we hardly ever let them play to their strengths. I agree with the DBs here - let them play their game and if we start giving up tons of long completions, then we'll have to reconsider.

I agree you can't play tight man coverage all of the time but I think you have to give the QBs and WRs different looks. Some zone, some soft man coverage, some disguised zone blitzes and some bump and run. We have just been way too plain, predictable and timid.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Who would doubt that the secondary has gotten frustrated over the coverage? Let them play it some Wade. Maybe it's time.

I can tell you this though. Should we do so and get burned enough to lose this game......well you can imagine. 3-2 losing to Cin at home because we gambled. How stupid can Wade be? What good coach bows to his players. Wade is waaaaaay tooooo soft.

My guess is you may see them play a little tighter but we'll basically play the same. We don't need to gamble a lot to beat these guys.

Jake0

Reaction score
Uh.... that's such a stupid way of thinking. I'd rather get used to manning up RIGHT NOW in this easy 3 week stretch, cause we'll beat them even if we get burned. Get used to it now, there'll be no time to practice this in the bigger games. Besides, what can be worse than playing 10 yards off and letting chad and housh catch 5 yard slants all game for repeated first downs?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I've been asking that if we were to get burned in the secondary, at least let it be because of aggressiveness

for 3 years now!

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
what most concerns me is that the coaching staff doesnt see anything wrong with how they are running the D... haha it makes no freakin sense...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Jake0;2303949 said:
Uh.... that's such a stupid way of thinking. I'd rather get used to manning up RIGHT NOW in this easy 3 week stretch, cause we'll beat them even if we get burned. Get used to it now, there'll be no time to practice this in the bigger games. Besides, what can be worse than playing 10 yards off and letting chad and housh catch 5 yard slants all game for repeated first downs?

Yeah, it's stupid which is why we've been playing that way to a 16-4 record in the regular season the last two years. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The coaches are stupid or they suck. What do they know. The head coach only grew up with it and learned from his stupid father who sucks, too.

Give me a break. Some of you have brains the size of a BB in a box car.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;2304028 said:
Yeah, it's stupid which is why we've been playing that way to a 16-4 record in the regular season the last two years. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The coaches are stupid or they suck. What do they know. The head coach only grew up with it and learned from his stupid father who sucks, too.

Okay. That's one that I've never heard before. If you have this one trademarked already, please please please please let me borrow it. :)

zeromaster

Reaction score
Eskimo;2303892 said:
We have Newman and Pacman who are both upper echelon man corners with great recovery speed.

We have the rookie Jenkins who was considered a superlative man corner in college, also with good recovery speed - just a bit green with zones and playing off receivers.

Finally, Henry, whose talents are basically wasted if you don't let him get physical with WRs since he is not fast or quick anymore. He just needs a bit of help over the top due to lack of recovery speed.

We probably have the best man cover secondary in the league and yet we hardly ever let them play to their strengths. I agree with the DBs here - let them play their game and if we start giving up tons of long completions, then we'll have to reconsider.

I agree you can't play tight man coverage all of the time but I think you have to give the QBs and WRs different looks. Some zone, some soft man coverage, some disguised zone blitzes and some bump and run. We have just been way too plain, predictable and timid.
There is far too much logic in this post for this thread :D

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
DallasEast;2304076 said:
Okay. That's one that I've never heard before. If you have this one trademarked already, please please please please let me borrow it. :)

It's yours. :cool:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;2304028 said:

do you know why Wade runs our zone?

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
CATCH17;2303218 said:
Its not about whether we run man to man or Zone with me. Its about not lining up 8 yards off the receiver.

You have to run zone and you have to run man.

But our zone coverage would be 10 X more effective if we just didn't LET the other teams guys have chunks of yards.

Oh_Canada;2303511 said:
I would rather the occasional 50 yd bomb, than a series of seven or eight minute drives that kill the offense's momentum.

dmq;2303533 said:
As mentioned in a previous thread, what good is man coverage when you play 15 yards off the guy? They will still get the underneath stuff. We need more press coverage to throw off the timing of offenses and stop the short passes. Wade has gone loco if he doesn't see a change is needed. He will prevent defense himself right out of a job.

What is disconcerting is that Wade doesn't see the problem and is reluctant to change the gameplan when we are getting toasted every week. This defense reminds me of the bend don't break defense we played under Parcells, but Parcells wouldn't even allow stunts. I'm starting to wish Jerry Jones was our coach. He would be a risk taker no doubt.

Eskimo;2303892 said:

Da Hammer;2303994 said:
what most concerns me is that the coaching staff doesnt see anything wrong with how they are running the D... haha it makes no freakin sense...

I agree with all of the above. Very solid points.
Bob Sacamano;2304157 said:
do you know why Wade runs our zone?

Remember before Wade got here when we used to get beat deep, like, all the time? Well I think when Wade was brought in, one of the biggest issues that Jerry wanted fixed was getting beat deep. I think Jerry drove in that point to Wade. So now Wade, out of fear for losing his job and responding to upper management's demands and outlined goals, has chosen to do whatever it takes to not have the players getting beat deep and consequently lose his job.

Just my 2 cents.

Jake0

Reaction score
jobberone;2304028 said:

Yeah 16-4 record... all thanks to our elite, fly all over the field defense. Shut the hell up moron. The offense has carried this team to that record. We live and die by our offense, while the VAST MAJORITY of our drafting resources have been dedicated to our defense.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Jake0;2304459 said:
Yeah 16-4 record... all thanks to our elite, fly all over the field defense. Shut the hell up moron. The offense has carried this team to that record. We live and die by our offense, while the VAST MAJORITY of our drafting resources have been dedicated to our defense.

Dude............uncalled for.