Cotton Bowl: Break a leg Patrick!

Reaction score
realtick;3790301 said:
Just curious Canuck, how many catches/yards did Peterson give up to Julio Jones last time they met?

IIRC, about 4/40 or 50. In other words, half of Jones' yards.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
realtick;3790322 said:
Wrong, see Canuck's answer above.

I don't watch every single game and record the stats, and they usually don't make college stats like that available, so i must apoligize.

However, i would assume that for the majority of the time during LSU's games, if they're playing a top WR, they are going to line up their top CB over them.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3790344 said:
I don't watch every single game and record the stats, and they usually don't make college stats like that available, so i must apoligize.

However, i would assume that for the majority of the time during LSU's games, if they're playing a top WR, they are going to line up their top CB over them.

No biggie...

Peterson was covering 'Bama's #4 Maze a lot that game as well.

In '09, Peterson had a great game against Julio Jones. Someone brought up the stats of Jones that game, 4 rec. for 102 yards and 1 TD. Problem is that's misleading; Jones got 73 of those yards (and the TD) from a short screen he broke in which Peterson wasn't even on his side of the field.

Similiar situation with his game against A.J. Green in '09; a game in which he won the battle against Green. Green made a spectacular circus catch for a TD in the endzone, but that wasn't on Peterson.

LSU is a lot like the way Dallas was with Newman early on in his career, that is to say they don't have Peterson following around a WR on either side of the ball. He simply covers the man that lines up in front of him.

burmafrd

Reaction score
If I was a college coach and had a player like Peterson, I would man him on the best WR on the other team every play.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
CanuckCowboysFan;3790229 said:
Now this is funny. Prince allowed something like 27% of throws his way to be completed this year. What was Petersons? And Peterson did not shut down Jones last times they faced.

You're probably one of the guys that looks at the boxscore of the Nebraska Ok State game and thought Prince got bullied. Stop hating on a prospect for no reason at all.

Actually I'm not, which is why I'm not one of the morons who are saying Peterson struggles with Big time WRs because the box score looks that way, when in reality Peterson did not give up all the catches or yards. Quit hating on posters when you're wrong, you have no reason at all. FYI, it's a lot easier to back yourself in an argument when you actually WATCH the game with your own eyes, and not just read some post game stats.

I've watched almost every game both of these guys played this year, and I'll take Peterson every day of the week, he's a freak.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
TheFinisher;3790615 said:
Actually I'm not, which is why I'm not one of the morons who are saying Peterson struggles with Big time WRs because the box score looks that way, when in reality Peterson did not give up all the catches or yards. Quit hating on posters when you're wrong, you have no reason at all. FYI, it's a lot easier to back yourself in an argument when you actually WATCH the game with your own eyes, and not just read some post game stats.

I've watched almost every game both of these guys played this year, and I'll take Peterson every day of the week, he's a freak.

Peterson let up pretty much every one of Fuller's 7 catches and 84 yards last night, and its common knowledge that other top WR's have had big games against LSU as well. Peterson definately didn't help "shut them down", and i assume he covers the oppositions best WR the majority of the time. If he only covers a guy for half the game and he still gets 4 or 5 catches for 50 yards.. that's still far from shutting them down over HALF of a game.

But yea.. morons.

:laugh2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I watched Peterson very closely last night and what I didn't see was that sudden explosion to the ball. I didn't see that quick break ability that the great CBs, I've seen in the past exhibit. It's what I remember seeing in the past. I am not saying he is without skills. I think that would be a lie but I am saying that I still don't see the shut down CB that some believe could go 1st in the draft. I'm going to watch this again right now and I'll come back and update this post.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3792666 said:
I watched Peterson very closely last night and what I didn't see was that sudden explosion to the ball. I didn't see that quick break ability that the great CBs, I've seen in the past exhibit. It's what I remember seeing in the past. I am not saying he is without skills. I think that would be a lie but I am saying that I still don't see the shut down CB that some believe could go 1st in the draft. I'm going to watch this again right now and I'll come back and update this post.

That's kind of what I was getting at. I don't know if doesn't have the burst but he didnt seem in a hurry to do ANYTHING during the game.

He's gotta have explosiveness to be as good a returner as we hear he is, but in the game he was almost in cruise control the entire time.