Could be any of ten or so

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Unlike last year when it was pretty clear the pick would be smith or watt (or a trade for peterson) this years board is all over the map, depending on trades of course, would you really be surprised to see us take any of the following in the first?

Decastro
Ingram
Cox
Mercilus
Brockers
Kirkpatrick
Konz
Barron
Poe
Hightower
Upshaw

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
I would be surprised by Hightower or Mercilus, but otherwise, I think I agree.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Teague31;4486321 said:
Unlike last year when it was pretty clear the pick would be smith or watt (or a trade for peterson) this years board is all over the map, depending on trades of course, would you really be surprised to see us take any of the following in the first?

Decastro
Ingram
Cox
Mercilus
Brockers
Kirkpatrick
Konz
Barron
Poe
Hightower
Upshaw

Out of those I only like
Ingram
Cox
Mercilus
Hightower
Barron
Kirkpatrick

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Decastro - Yes if there, but does not look like the boys will pull the trigger
Ingram - Think he will be gone
Cox - Would not mind at all
Mercilus - No thanks
Brockers - Would love to see him in Big D at DE, think he will be a force
Kirkpatrick - Looks like the one, reluctantly would be ok with it
Konz - If we trade back and pick up a pick would like it.
Barron - Not at 14, would love it a little latter.
Poe - Someone will fall in love and he will be gone
Hightower - Would love to see him here at 17 or later, think he has a shot to be a star.
Upshaw - No thanks

supercowboy8

Reaction score
cbow44;4486356 said:
I would even add Coples to the list

not me, I like Coples but not as a 3-4 DE. I agree with Wes Bunting on Coples and think he is a 4-3 DE.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Teague31;4486321 said:

Decastro
Ingram
Cox
Mercilus
Brockers
Kirkpatrick
Konz
Barron
Poe
Hightower
Upshaw

Out of those 11 players I would be shocked, floored and astonished if at least one of them is not the selection. IMO, you hit on the 11 options. Won't be a mock draft I'll criticize or question if it has one of those guys going to us in Round 2.

Heck, it's possible 2 of those 11 could be out first two selections.

I will say the dark horse in this maybe Brandon Thompson depending on how far the Cowboys trade back if they do.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
SDogo;4486376 said:
Out of those 11 players I would be shocked, floored and astonished if at least one of them is not the selection. IMO, you hit on the 11 options. Won't be a mock draft I'll criticize or question if it has one of those guys going to us in Round 2.

Heck, it's possible 2 of those 11 could be out first two selections.

I will say the dark horse in this maybe Brandon Thompson depending on how far the Cowboys trade back if they do.

I think that coming out of the draft with 2 of these players is the Cowboys desired strategy in this draft. To accomplish this goal, I think you see a trade down with the 1st pick and a trade up with the 2nd pick if they can find willing trade partners. I don't think they are in love with any particular player so the main objective will be to get two players with a first round grade on their board.

cbow44

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4486359 said:
not me, I like Coples but not as a 3-4 DE. I agree with Wes Bunting on Coples and think he is a 4-3 DE.

I think he was building a list of players the boys could be interested in at 14. Also at 6'6" and 285 he is plenty big enough to play DE in a 34. He played DT as a junior and was more dominate.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4486383 said:
Gilmore needs to be on the list

I'm starting to believe we will hear more and more about him and the association with the Cowboys will get stronger in the next few weeks.

Bluestang

Reaction score
SDogo;4486412 said:
I'm starting to believe we will hear more and more about him and the association with the Cowboys will get stronger in the next few weeks.

I sent you PM a few days ago about Gilmore and what my opinion is on Jenkins - what do you think there?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we stay at 14, I'm guessing our pick will be one of three players....

1. Fletcher Cox
2. Courtney Upshaw
3. Dontari Poe

JBS

Reaction score
Risen Star;4486424 said:
If we stay at 14, I'm guessing our pick will be one of three players....

1. Fletcher Cox
2. Courtney Upshaw
3. Dontari Poe

Bill jones just said Upshaw is out of the picture

Could be bull****.. Just passing it along

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GloryDaysRBack;4486425 said:
Bill jones just said Upshaw is out of the picture

Could be bull****.. Just passing it along

Interesting.

Now I see I left Brockers off my list. You have to include him.

I still say a trade down is most likely.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Can't wait for the draft. I don't know if I could pass on Decastro if he was there (I think he won't) but I do think the 5 tech is our biggest need. However, the bust rate among interior D-Linemen is pretty big, just a quick FYI here are the DTs and 3-4 DEs picked in the last 10 drafts

Ryan Simms (bust), John Henderson, Wendall Bryant (bust) and Albert Hayensworth
Dwayne Robertson (bust), Jonathan Sullivan (bust), Kevin Williams, Jimmy Kennedy (bust), Ty Warren and William Joeseph (bust)
Tommy Harris, Vince Wilfork and Marcus Tubbs (bust due to injury)
Travis Johnson (bust), Marcus Spears (for a 20th pick he's met expectations imo), Luis Castillio and Mike Patterson
Haloti Ngata, Broderick Bunkley (bust) and John McCargo (bust)
Amobi Okoye (bust), Adam Carriker (bust) and Justin Harrell (bust)
Glenn Dorsey (bust), Sedrick Ellis (bust) and Kentwan Balmer (bust)
Tyson Jackson (bust, but i get the feeling KC is satisfied with him, he was a massive reach), BJ Raji, Peria Jerry (bust) and Ziggy Hood (don't know, was picked 32nd so probably too early to tell)
Ndameukong Suh, Gerald McCoy (bust so far), Tyson Alulu (was a reach but has been ok), Dan Williams and Jared Ordrick

I don't feel like adding it up, but it seems like more than 55-60% are bust. Bust rate does drop a bit for players drafted by 3-4 teams, but it's still high