News: Could DT Payne compare to Russell Maryland if picked?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Im trying to find someone to placate Marrinelli and his definition of what he wants in a 1-tech. This is why I Have trouble mocking Vita Vea to the Cowboys, but want to put Payne there.
In the end, his definition has not worked - at all, we havent stuffed the run, and the inside guys havent got much of a push. So, Rod - you will get DaRon Payne and you will like it !
Now get out there with the talent we just got you, and make it work !
This is not true, they were #1 against the run in 2016 and #8 against the run in 2017. In 2017 they had issues with injuries at the 1T but were fine with Collins at the 1T. What hurt was injuries to Sean Lee, Hitchens and how long it took Jaylon to get healthier and knock the rust off. At the end of the season when Sean Lee had returned they were holding the run to the 80s in yds which was right in line with the eagles who were #1 in 2017 against the run.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
This is not true, they were #1 against the run in 2016 and #8 against the run in 2017. In 2017 they had issues with injuries at the 1T but were fine with Collins at the 1T. What hurt was injuries to Sean Lee, Hitchens and how long it took Jaylon to get healthier and knock the rust off. At the end of the season when Sean Lee had returned they were holding the run to the 80s in yds which was right in line with the eagles who were #1 in 2017 against the run.
And think how much better it would be if we just used a decent draft resorce to add talent to that position.
Collins was not fine, he's a 3-tech not a 1. And played with a broken bone in his foot. It was a diservice to him having to play because the FO screwed the pooch. Lets stop getting by, and make it a position of strength. Now is the time and place to do it !

waving monkey

Reaction score
Its so weird the love for Payne.

He had 1 TFL in 14 games. 1!!!! There's never been a top 2 round Dlineman with close to just one TFL. Only 1 sack as well. Im not a big sack column stat guy, but come on.

He was a monster in the two playoff games, but was JAG throughout the season.
If his lazy with loads of talent that's a killer for me

waving monkey

Reaction score
That's true - and that is exactly what we need, our 1-tech is not supposed to be a sack man. The occasional sack here and there would be helpful, but a space eater who gobbles up guards and tackles and keepers your LBers clean, while stuffing the run IS exactly what this team needs. A talented big man, not just a big body.
Thanks why Nellie says you can get D1's down the draft if all you want is a trash full of dirt

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
is Payne lazy?
In the offseason, Cristobal called me and started asking questions about him,” Smith said. “(Alabama) didn’t offer him on that phone call, but about a month later, he got his first offer — from Ole Miss.”

More offers soon followed. Alabama, South Carolina, Clemson.

“It just exploded,” Smith said.

Smith had no problem making the pitch for Payne. In many ways, he was a dream player. “His whole four years that I coached him, I don’t recall that he ever missed a workout,” Smith said. “He was never late for meetings or workouts. I never got one e-mail or phone call from another teacher, saying, ‘Can you help me with Da’Ron Payne he’s missing class, he’s tardy, he’s being disrespectful.’ He’s done things the right way.”

Doesn’t sound like it to me.

waving monkey

Reaction score
In the offseason, Cristobal called me and started asking questions about him,” Smith said. “(Alabama) didn’t offer him on that phone call, but about a month later, he got his first offer — from Ole Miss.”

More offers soon followed. Alabama, South Carolina, Clemson.

“It just exploded,” Smith said.

Smith had no problem making the pitch for Payne. In many ways, he was a dream player. “His whole four years that I coached him, I don’t recall that he ever missed a workout,” Smith said. “He was never late for meetings or workouts. I never got one e-mail or phone call from another teacher, saying, ‘Can you help me with Da’Ron Payne he’s missing class, he’s tardy, he’s being disrespectful.’ He’s done things the right way.”

Doesn’t sound like it to me.
I like him but in our system is Nellie correct that the D1's can be gotten down the draft.
I'm as frustrated as everybody else with the D1 position but can we address with a less premium pick

exciter

Reaction score
I’ll never understand Rod having pull in the organization. It’s funny to me. Mr 0-16 just needs to stay in his lane and coach. Keep quiet on player acquisition
I think Jerry may have used Marinelli as cover considering he was popular with fans at the time. In reality it's jerrys philosophy inherited from Jimmy. Remove the dt, have end play dt, lb play end, ss play lb. Jerry sticks with what was successful in the past. That's why there still playing an antiquated offense developed in the 70s.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I think Jerry may have used Marinelli as cover considering he was popular with fans at the time. In reality it's jerrys philosophy inherited from Jimmy. Remove the dt, have end play dt, lb play end, ss play lb. Jerry sticks with what was successful in the past. That's why there still playing an antiquated offense developed in the 70s.
:facepalm:

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I like all 3 of the DTs...Hurst,Vea and Payne.
I think Vea is off the board before 19.
Payne could be our Vince Wolfolk...but will they draft a NT at 19?
Hurst seems to fit the template but JJ hasnt drafted a DT in Rd 1 since Jimmy left.
Id love any of these 3 to be the pick.
Wasn't Spears a DT?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Payne is a better/younger Jernigan so get him!
BS. He's not a quick penetrator or have quick agility. He's a 2 gap space eater that has been inconsistent who turned it on for the playoffs and championship game specifically. Prior DL from Alabama have been better players.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
BS. He's not a quick penetrator or have quick agility. He's a 2 gap space eater that has been inconsistent who turned it on for the playoffs and championship game specifically. Prior DL from Alabama have been better players.
When the combine says different you’ll still be stubborn

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Wasn't Spears a DT?

In essence yea. He was a 3-4 DE that was 6'4 300 pounds. He played DE in college, but there was no way he would be a 4-3 DE in the pros and was only ever going to be a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT in the NFL.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
When the combine says different you’ll still be stubborn
What are you talking about?

From what speedkillz said, its literally impossible for the combine to say any different. There would be no evidence to disprove it.

How can the combine determine if Payne was a space eater, inconsistent, turned it on only for the playoffs, or that there were better prior Bama players?