Could Receiver be a higher priority than we expect?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I mean we are 1 hit away from having Ogletree start.

This time a year ago I didn't think that was a big deal but after watching what happened last season I feel like receiver may be a higher priority for the Cowboys than we think.

Anyone think we could see Dallas go receiver as early as round 2?

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
No. We aren't the Lions.

"The one hit away" argument is dumb because it applies at every position for every team in the league. "They are one hit away from not having Rodgers/Brees/Peterson/Brady/etc"

There is a reason backups are backups. There arent even enough quality WR starters in the league for everyone to have 2. Ogletree isn't a starter but he is a capable backup if he gets his stuff together.

That doesn't mean we are set at WR. We should look WR in the middle rounds if there is a high rated one available. And the team should keep an eye on the free agent market looking for another Robinson type.

But it certainly is not a priority and should NOT be something we do in the first two rounds. I think there is a .05% chance we would go WR in the first two rounds.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
cobra;4500499 said:
No. We aren't the Lions.

"The one hit away" argument is dumb because it applies at every position for every team in the league. "They are one hit away from not having Rodgers/Brees/Peterson/Brady/etc"

There is a reason backups are backups. There arent even enough quality WR starters in the league for everyone to have 2. Ogletree isn't a starter but he is a capable backup if he gets his stuff together.

That doesn't mean we are set at WR. We should look WR in the middle rounds if there is a high rated one available. And the team should keep an eye on the free agent market looking for another Robinson type.

But it certainly is not a priority and should NOT be something we do in the first two rounds. I think there is a .05% chance we would go WR in the first two rounds.

The 1 hit away argument is far more likely than dumb with Austin and Dez.

The Lions also use top 10 picks on their receivers. Year after year.

I just wonder how much of a priority it is to replace Laurent Robinson.

He and Murray changed our season. We need another guy like that and Ogletree just isn't that guy like I had hoped.

Hopefully D. Harris or this other no name that Jerry is pom pom'ing steps up.

rocboy22

Reaction score
I would hope we don't go receiver until the 5th, maybe the compensatory 4th rounder.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
rocboy22;4500512 said:
I would hope we don't go receiver until the 5th, maybe the compensatory 4th rounder.

Im the same way. Im not big on collecting receivers but after what I saw last year Pre-Robinson it's made me think twice.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
WR in round 2...unlikely, but not impossible. Someone with first round talent slides to us that far...highest rated on our board significantly, I would think we'd make the pick and assume we have our #3 or we'd trade down.

rocboy22

Reaction score
CATCH17;4500517 said:
Im the same way. Im not big on collecting receivers but after what I saw last year Pre-Robinson it's made me think twice.

The thing is, if we lose Austin or Bryant we probably would be better of with some veteran FA (like Robinson) than a rookie. I think they are just waiting this out and may pick someone up for the veteran minimum after seeing how guys are doing in camp.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Frankly I would follow the Packers model of taking a WR the top 100 picks of every draft. No primary WR, just 4-5 guys who can exploit any weakness in a coverage matchup. Having 2 stud starters is nice, until one of those studs goes down and you got Kevin Ogletree filling in as a starter.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If extreme value is there after the 2nd or 3rd round...who knows.
But, otherwise, I've rarely heard of a team picking a backup (or at best WR3) in the first two rounds of the draft. If they pick them that high, they expect them to start or contibute heavily...or they expect they may lose a starter to FA in a year.
Again, that assumes a player they (and obviously, only they) consider a star falls into their laps 20-40 picks later than slotted.

I agree that it has worked for Green Bay though. I think they have always felt that they scout WRs better than everyone else, so they have an advantage there. I do think part of the reason they have been picking players early is becasue they knew at some point Driver was going to hang it up or fall off in production.
They hit on Jennings but still flet theywould need another starter, so they kept trying. James Jones was iffy, so they tried some more.... They hit on Jordy, but thought they were losing Jones.
Anyway, it's not a bad idea to keep the cuppard staocked if you're a team that throws it a ton.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DFWJC;4500555 said:
If extreme value is there after the 2nd or 3rd round...who knows.
But, otherwise, I've never heard of a team picking a backup (or at best WR3) in the first two rounds of the draft. If they pick them that high, they expect them to start or contibute heavily...or they expect they may lose a starter to FA in a year.
Again, that assumes a player they (and obviously, only they) consider a star falls into their laps 20-40 picks later than slotted.

Jordy Nelson

9darter

Reaction score
This team needs a true slot WR. But you can have that in rounds 3-4.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Last year the Packers took Randall Cobb in the 2nd round and he was projected to be their 5th WR behind Jennings, Driver, Nelson, James Jones. I don't think they regret it either.

I don't think I would go 2nd round, especially since it's a high 2nd, but the Cowboys should absolutely start having WRs in their radar in the 3rd round. With Austin and Dez's injury problems, and Kevin Olgree as your 3rd WR. That's an issue.

RS12

Reaction score
Theoretically they are in BPA mode. No position would suprise me beyond round 2.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
RS12;4500575 said:
Theoretically they are in BPA mode. No position would suprise me beyond round 2.

This team just has soooo soo many holes. There is no way we can come away from the draft and have filled every hole.

I just know that before Murray and Robinson stepped on the field it was a circus on offense. We looked like the most poorly coached team in the league offensively.

DFWJC

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4500570 said:
Last year the Packers took Randall Cobb in the 2nd round and he was projected to be their 5th WR behind Jennings, Driver, Nelson, James Jones. I don't think they regret it either.

I don't think I would go 2nd round, especially since it's a high 2nd, but the Cowboys should absolutely start having WRs in their radar in the 3rd round. With Austin and Dez's injury problems, and Kevin Olgree as your 3rd WR. That's an issue.
True about Cobb.

I think they were picking him as a potential star return man who would soon be their WR3 though. They know Driver can't go forever and Jones was assummed to have been leaving this year.
Anyway, I agree, they are probably happy with Cobb.

Hmmm, now that you mention it, the Cowboys could use a star return man and a WR3. They have many other issues too, but depending on how much they like the young guys, WR may be one too.

bsheeern

Reaction score
CATCH17;4500467 said:
I mean we are 1 hit away from having Ogletree start.

This time a year ago I didn't think that was a big deal but after watching what happened last season I feel like receiver may be a higher priority for the Cowboys than we think.

Anyone think we could see Dallas go receiver as early as round 2?

Wouldnt surprise me if we went WR in round 1 or 2. Moreso in round 2 but there's always the possibility we trade back.

Your 3rd and 4th WRs have the potential the play close the 50% of your snaps.

The WR position in the nfl becoming a very unique. Teams are using less and less of the FB position and the 2TE set. The WR position is getting the snaps in their place.