Could Receiver be a higher priority than we expect?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4500552 said:
Frankly I would follow the Packers model of taking a WR the top 100 picks of every draft. No primary WR, just 4-5 guys who can exploit any weakness in a coverage matchup. Having 2 stud starters is nice, until one of those studs goes down and you got Kevin Ogletree filling in as a starter.
Agree 100% with this. There's a reason they seem to have a never ending supply of receivers and have one of the best passing games in the NFL.

rocboy22

Reaction score
theogt;4500604 said:
Agree 100% with this. There's a reason they seem to have a never ending supply of receivers and have one of the best passing games in the NFL.

Jimmy Robinson may have had something to do with that, too. Maybe we will start to see our young guys stepping up a lot more.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;4500604 said:

Yep and the Packers Oline isn't much better than ours.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
CATCH17;4500609 said:
Yep and the Packers Oline isn't much better than ours.

You don't need a great OL when you can hit a quick 3 step drop quick slant to Randall Cobb matched up against some other team's equivalent of Frank Walker and he takes it 30 yards.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I have no doubt they will take a WR at some point but I doubt it will be in the top 3 rounds. I think they will also look to add a veteran near the end of camp like they did with Robinson last year. When something works, you stick with it. There will be servicable WRs available when teams have to get down to 53 and I think Dallas will be in that market.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
basstapp;4500633 said:
I would love for Blackmon to drop :)

He probably will because he is overrated.

Wright and Floyd will be the best 2 pro's out of the top prospects.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;4500467 said:
I mean we are 1 hit away from having Ogletree start.

This time a year ago I didn't think that was a big deal but after watching what happened last season I feel like receiver may be a higher priority for the Cowboys than we think.

Anyone think we could see Dallas go receiver as early as round 2?

Yes. I think you're right. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we drafted a WR in the first three rounds.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't know why, but Mohamed Sanu seems to fit the mold for what the Cowboys like in WRs. Big, strong, good run blocker and tough to bring down after the catch. They just don't seem to be overly enthralled with the short, speedy shifty guys.

DFWJC

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4500676 said:
I don't know why, but Mohamed Sanu seems to fit the mold for what the Cowboys like in WRs. Big, strong, good run blocker and tough to bring down after the catch. They just don't seem to be overly enthralled with the short, speedy shifty guys.
They need one though. The have a slot vacancy, so a guy just like Cobb would get a ton of reps regardless of the injury situation. He would be the R3/slot guy, so bascially a starter.
If we bring in another Austin/Bryant type guy, his value could be great if there are injuries, or he could play in 4 WR sets right away if everyone stays healthy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we'll consider players who represent value at any position, but I'd be surprised if WR is a position where we're enticed to make a luxury pick.

This team does well with developing its WRs, anyway, and seems to like the young guys we've got. As for Ogletree, I don't think he makes it out of camp. We'll pick up somebody with a bit of starting experience after the draft if we don't end up drafting a player we really like. For example, Patrick Crayton's still available for you guys who were fond of him in his first go-round with the Cowboys.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4500676 said:

Sanu does fit the mold, but I'd like to break the mold a bit and get a guy with either big speed (AJ Jenkins) or real ability in the slot as a great route runner (Broyles, Adams). I think the little quick guys that catch 8 yard passes are underrated with the illegal contact rules being more strict than even in college. Manning, Brees and Brady have won 12 games a year throwing downfield far less than Dallas or the Giants. It takes a ton of pressure off of olines too.

I would not do it at 45 unless they have Jeffrey or Randle rated as 1st rounders and nobody else is close on the board.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
DFWJC;4500689 said:
They need one though. The have a slot vacancy, so a guy just like Cobb would get a ton of reps regardless of the injury situation. He would be the R3/slot guy, so bascially a starter.
If we bring in another Austin/Bryant type guy, his value could be great if there are injuries, or he could play in 4 WR sets right away if everyone stays healthy.

I just think they like guys who can line up at all three slots and can step into any position at a moments notice. There have been no shortage of the slot/return guys that everyone likes out on the market ... they could have gotten Roscoe Parrish for a flier for nothing.

Then again, they seem to be after Broyles hot and heavy, so maybe they prove me wrong.