Could Reggie Robinson have a future at Safety?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
so if Robinson moves to safety, where he basically has to totally learn that position from scratch
as from i understood he was not a safety in college. And to make it that more complex, with Woods, Ha Ha already in front, and the odd talk of moving Awuzie to safety ...and along with Donovan Wilson already joining
his ex-college A&M coach (Marquis Lindquist)
So at safety this year, where on the depth chart will Robinson end up at ?

As a CB, where early on there's several candidates in the mix as possible starters and backup nickel guys.
i'm assuming the team plans to have Anthony Brown among the three CB roles, though admittedly i'm not a fan of Brown, and definitely don't want him starting outside. That leaves two others which may be opening competition camp and on.
- Will team keep Awuzie at CB ?
- Could rookie Diggs emerge as one of the immediate starters at one of the starting roles ?
- What about vet Darryl Worley who was signed on as a game experience stop gap role ?
- Could we possibly see one of the leftover CBs Awuzie or Jourdan Lewis traded away
before the season ?
- Unless Robinson can impress new coaching regime at some point this year in just his rookie year
to be promoted as the 4th CB and there is a trade that includes leftover CBs Lewis or Awuzie, i just
don't see where Robinson playing time comes from.

-I explained my reasoning on one of my responses. CB Depth is going to make it very difficult for him to see the field this season, where at Safety he may have a quicker path for this season.

-He was a converted safety who was switched to CB on the college level. Nolan's scheme has his safeties play more like corners then the traditional roles.

-I believe the team wants to get his feet wet this season within the defensive sub-packages, we just don't know what type of role they envision him in year 1. Next year is a whole different story as many fa's won't be back and the team will have a entire off-season to work on his development.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-I think this is the reason why many media scouts loved C.J. Henderson from Florida. He was extremely smooth in his transitions and he had elite timed speed. We heard very little about his poor technique, lack of physicality and him being such a poor tackler. Sounds like Mo Claiborne to me, he is a truly boom/bust prospect.

I was not a big fan of drafting Henderson. He was obviously the best athlete off all the CBs and might be great, but I could see him being a Claiborne type of underachiever.[/QUOTE]

He's the type of athlete this front office usually covets. The Cowboys had two prospects linked to them for most of the process, Henderson/Chaisson, both were selected by Jax, it will be interesting to see how both them perform.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Most definitely being we have the right coaches now. The kid has explosive speed and ballhawking instincts, too. That could put Robinson in a prime position to contribute early on special teams.

In college, he showed a particular knack for blocking kicks, doing it four times in 45 games with the Golden Hurricane.

The Cowboys as a team haven’t blocked a single kick attempt in their last 43 outings. Courtesy of O'Quinn. :rolleyes:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't know about that at all.

He is definitely going to dress because he fits the bill to improve the special teams, so I can see him in some dime packages early on.

I also think the team is going to aggressively try to overhaul the secondary, and I certainly hope they worry more about implementing the younger guys than appeasing the ones who wont be here next year.

In that case youd be starting over this time next year. I wouldnt think anyone wants that.
He could pass someone, but right now he's behind Chido, Brown, Lewis, Worley, Diggs, and Canady.

His best bet to see the field this year is injuries or playing S, and there's nothing to suggest he can other than his physical traits.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He could pass someone, but right now he's behind Chido, Brown, Lewis, Worley, Diggs, and Canady.

His best bet to see the field this year is injuries or playing S, and there's nothing to suggest he can other than his physical traits.
Let's see what happens.

What I hope doesnt happen is they try to play press with Awuzie and Lewis.

What I hope doesnt happen even more is they tweak the scheme to start those two, then start all over again next year.

If they are all in on remaking the secondary....and I believe they are...Reggie needs to get on the field this year. This team is in no position to be redshirting 4th round picks in a deep draft. Not defensively anyway.

Theres a lot we dont know about the staffs plans for the defense. Maybe we leave it at that.

conner01

Reaction score
Maybe he has a future at corner...
I always think CB is more important than safety and we have depth issues at cb going forward
That said part of coaching is seeing what a guys does best and take advantage of that
If he has more skills that translate to safety then I’d look at it
But I think we hurt jones trying to make him a safety so you have to be right about your evaluation

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Don't see why not. Dallas is still average or below at safety.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
All the talk recently has all been about acquiring Jamal Adams and upgrading the safety position. We could have an intriguing safety prospect already on the roster not name Donovan Wilson, but rather Reggie Robinson:

-He is a former High School Safety
-Came from a zone heavy, defensive scheme at Tulsa
-Considered to have strong ball skills, is tenacious run defender
-Is considered a project at CB needing a lot of development with his technique, footwork
-Needs work in adapting to press coverage

It will be interesting to see if they start him at Safety as that is the quickest way to get him playing meaniful snaps. If they develop him as a CB, he probably won't be able to see the field in any capacity outside of special teams until 2021. Corner is the more important position, so it's quite possible they play the long game.

There was talk of him as a safety prospect after the draft.

Very good draft for us means a very bad season for us to have Voldemort ruin rookie training. In a normal year, maybe Robinson does something useful for us this year. I don't see it happening this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He is definitely going to dress because he fits the bill to improve the special teams, so I can see him in some dime packages early on.

I'd rather do that than use the short timer free agent vets to fill out special teams.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Let's see what happens.

What I hope doesnt happen is they try to play press with Awuzie and Lewis.

What I hope doesnt happen even more is they tweak the scheme to start those two, then start all over again next year.

If they are all in on remaking the secondary....and I believe they are...Reggie needs to get on the field this year. This team is in no position to be redshirting 4th round picks in a deep draft. Not defensively anyway.

Theres a lot we dont know about the staffs plans for the defense. Maybe we leave it at that.

After finishing this post, I convinced myself that Robinson is only considered at Safety if Westry is clearly ahead of him at CB. Looking at 2021 and players that are under contract is my primary basis.

The issue for Robinson in 2020 is that Diggs is also a rookie.

Coaches will prefer to avoid having two rookies in the secondary.

Coaches have to take the approach of winning now. They can't play Robinson in 2020 because it's better for 2021.

The exception is that they can give players like Robinson snaps if the Cowboys are way up or way down on the scoreboard late in the game.

With Diggs, Awuzie, Brown, Worley, Lewis, Robinson, Westry and others, they'll find 3 that are reasonable fits within the scheme without forcing anything.

The Quarter scheme is fairly flexible in the types of secondary players that can fit into it.

The Kris Richard scheme from the past 2 seasons was one of the least flexible in terms of types of secondary players that were good fits.

Safety vs CB
There are more bodies at CB, but it is likely that Worley or Awuzie practice at Safety.

CB
Diggs
Brown
Robinson
Westry

Safety
Donovan Wilson
Darian Thompson

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There was talk of him as a safety prospect after the draft.

Very good draft for us means a very bad season for us to have Voldemort ruin rookie training. In a normal year, maybe Robinson does something useful for us this year. I don't see it happening this year.

My guess he's a core special teamer and hopefully a small role within our defensive sub-packages to get his feet wet so to speak.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
After finishing this post, I convinced myself that Robinson is only considered at Safety if Westry is clearly ahead of him at CB. Looking at 2021 and players that are under contract is my primary basis.

The issue for Robinson in 2020 is that Diggs is also a rookie.

Coaches will prefer to avoid having two rookies in the secondary.

Coaches have to take the approach of winning now. They can't play Robinson in 2020 because it's better for 2021.

The exception is that they can give players like Robinson snaps if the Cowboys are way up or way down on the scoreboard late in the game.

With Diggs, Awuzie, Brown, Worley, Lewis, Robinson, Westry and others, they'll find 3 that are reasonable fits within the scheme without forcing anything.

The Quarter scheme is fairly flexible in the types of secondary players that can fit into it.

The Kris Richard scheme from the past 2 seasons was one of the least flexible in terms of types of secondary players that were good fits.

Safety vs CB
There are more bodies at CB, but it is likely that Worley or Awuzie practice at Safety.

CB
Diggs
Brown
Robinson
Westry

Safety
Donovan Wilson
Darian Thompson

Coaches may prefer not to play multiple rookies, but they have done just that in the Cowboys recent history. Awuzie, Lewis and Woods had a lot of snaps as rookies, the latter two mainly due to injuries and a surprise cut. I remember Mike Jenkins/Orlando Scandrick playing a lot as rookies under Wade Phillips.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coaches may prefer not to play multiple rookies, but they have done just that in the Cowboys recent history. Awuzie, Lewis and Woods had a lot of snaps as rookies, the latter two mainly due to injuries and a surprise cut. I remember Mike Jenkins/Orlando Scandrick playing a lot as rookies under Wade Phillips.

They didn't plan on playing the rookies that much in 2017 (Awuzie, Lewis and Woods).

Nolan Carroll was signed to be a stop-gap but he had 1 super terrible game and got injured. Since he was on a 1 year deal, they didn't want to use a roster spot to wait for him to get healthy; therefore, they just cut him.

They thought CB Duke Thomas would be in the mix to play some snaps but he went to IR at the end of training camp.

Scandrick only played a little over half the snaps and ended up on IR only playing 11 games that season.

They started training camp with Anthony Henry, Terence Newman, Pacman, Alan Ball plus Scandrick and Mike Jenkins.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They didn't plan on playing the rookies that much in 2017 (Awuzie, Lewis and Woods).

Nolan Carroll was signed to be a stop-gap but he had 1 super terrible game and got injured. Since he was on a 1 year deal, they didn't want to use a roster spot to wait for him to get healthy; therefore, they just cut him.

They thought CB Duke Thomas would be in the mix to play some snaps but he went to IR at the end of training camp.

Scandrick only played a little over half the snaps and ended up on IR only playing 11 games that season.

They started training camp with Anthony Henry, Terence Newman, Pacman, Alan Ball plus Scandrick and Mike Jenkins.

History tells us these prospects may be forced to see the field sooner then the coaches would like.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Especially with brand new coaches who aren't attached to the current vets and who also had a hand in bringing in these rookies. McCarthy made a comment that after watching the tape he wondered why Robinson wasn't considered with the earlier-drafted corners.

Full disclosure, Robinson is my 2020 pet cat.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Worley or Canady would be easy cuts if they think Robinson is up to it. Barely any guaranteed money.

ghst187

Reaction score
Really need to hit on Diggs and Robinson this season. Well help fill the void in2021.

Exactly, CB is a premium position so getting cheap talent without losing quality is a huge win.