Could Rivers be McCarthy's Garcia or Gannon?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Rivers' career is nearing its end. His chances of adjusting to the Cowboys in time to help them would probably be late in coming around. One of Dak's main advantages over many others right now could likely be his upside to improve -- especially so, with far more effective coaching and schemes. :)

phildadon86

Reaction score
We need to see how the QB chips fall first because Rivers would be down on my list.

I think Derek Carr in our offense would be really good and at worst he would be Dak out there.

Rivers at the right price would be better then Dak but my gosh is he a statue at this point.

Who knows what could happen with Brady, Brees, Cam, and how many other pieces start falling after that.

This offseason could be incredible to see where QB's end up.
So you want to bring in the guy that cooper ran away from! ? Makes sense. Why you’re not the GM of this team is beyond me.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt MM wants anyone but Dak. Working with Dak was one of the primary reasons he chose to sign with Dallas. Dak's agent must be asking for something ridiculous.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Rivers is washed up. Just like Eli, Brady, and Big Ben. The team should focus on getting younger and not older.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s ok making a move for something similar to Dak if it cost us less and shorter commitment.

That’s why a Franchise Tag is best option. But if we do that we should draft some leverage or pursue a more proven backup in FA so we don’t have all of our eggs in one basket with Dak.
Carr is going to be looking for more than a couple of years too, plus if the reporting is true (who knows) one of the hang ups may be that Dak doesn’t want as long a term as Jerry does. As for the draft, the 17th pick is highly unlikely to yield a QB as good as Dak, and grasping at straws is not really a good way to run a team.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The word is the Chargers are hot for Herbert and letting Rivers walk and while I admit I didn't watch him play in 2019 as much as I have in the past, he is still one of the most accurate passers and is that guy that can make every throw. He does throw more picks because he does have a little gunslinger in him but he's also 6'5" with a cannon.

I don't know what Big Mike thinks of him but with this offense around him but I think they could get him on a shorter term deal than Prescott. Garcia and Gannon both became better QB's with a change in coaching and were allowed to use their skills.

He is 38 and I don't know how much he would cost but it is an option if Prescott is too set on his contract demands.

I guess the question comes down to which QB you think is the better one but with these weapons around Rivers, it intrigues me to think of him as the DC QB for 2-3 seasons. He's all about getting the ball out and into a playmaker's hands.

The other QB FA's, Brady, Brees, Bridgewater, Keenum, Tannehill don't do a lot for me but Rivers is that guy that has seldom had a really good team around him and he had to carry it too often. I also don't think Brady or Brees hits the bricks and I don't see Bridgewater as an upgrade over Prescott but he might be more affordable.
I want some of them mushrooms.

shabazz

Reaction score
If all the pieces were in place I wouldn't mind a veteran to "win it now", but until this defense mirrors the Niners D at best or the Chiefs defense at worst, we're not ready to make any noise in the playoffs. Next season is transitional and all the prices wont be in place. Super Bowl run in 3 season from now, at best.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Carr is going to be looking for more than a couple of years too, plus if the reporting is true (who knows) one of the hang ups may be that Dak doesn’t want as long a term as Jerry does. As for the draft, the 17th pick is highly unlikely to yield a QB as good as Dak, and grasping at straws is not really a good way to run a team.
I’m not advocating using 17th pick on a QB. Rather pursuing one earlier in draft than 4th or 5th round for a more suitable backup that could be developed similar to our 4th round pick for Dak.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Here’s the logic of Cowboyszone users. Go and get a guy last year who was old and sucked and bring him to Dallas because....just because lol.
No to rivers but its not just anyone but ion Dak plays hardball, we need a journeymen as a backup.

so one for a long holdout, two for a better backup when Daks hurt or struggles, and lastly why not have a plan just in case...

Rush is an issue if we had a foles type at backup last year im betting that Philly game is won by a solid backup..Dak was injured and he sucked in that game, he cost us that game in the second half..

we need a better backup that can start, we also need to draft a Fromm/Hurts in the 4th round area of the draft..sorry but having no plan is a plan to fail..

MM needs to go to Jerry and go after a quality backup, who that is is up to MM and KM , they can stop playing dont hurt the QBs feelings..had we not drafted Dak that year what would 2016 had looked like?

we are there now Dals at crossroads with his contract but also his up and down play.. we need a plan and fans and the DC FO needs to stop coddling the starters especially at QB, they are avoiding controversy because they dont want to admit maybe Dak isnt the qb you hand 34plus too but also dont want to hurt his feelings..lmao..

Did NE not make sure they drafted QBs behind brady and also some journeymen backups to be sure as Brady got older they had choices and also got trade value late for those QBs..

this is the perfect time for sadplan, new staff and Daks contract issue and threats ofg a holdout..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not advocating using 17th pick on a QB. Rather pursuing one earlier in draft than 4th or 5th round for a more suitable backup that could be developed similar to our 4th round pick for Dak.
I think the Cowboys should always have a young, developing QB, I just don't think it is likely to provide much leverage with Dak though. I think it's grasping at straws to franchise Dak while hoping a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round QB can develop enough to provide leverage in negotiating with Dak.

And honestly, we really don't know what the hangup is in the negotiation. It may be the Cowboys playing hardball as much or more than Dak for all we know.

quickccc

Reaction score
The word is the Chargers are hot for Herbert and letting Rivers walk and while I admit I didn't watch him play in 2019 as much as I have in the past, he is still one of the most accurate passers and is that guy that can make every throw. He does throw more picks because he does have a little gunslinger in him but he's also 6'5" with a cannon.

I don't know what Big Mike thinks of him but with this offense around him but I think they could get him on a shorter term deal than Prescott. Garcia and Gannon both became better QB's with a change in coaching and were allowed to use their skills.

He is 38 and I don't know how much he would cost but it is an option if Prescott is too set on his contract demands.

I guess the question comes down to which QB you think is the better one but with these weapons around Rivers, it intrigues me to think of him as the DC QB for 2-3 seasons. He's all about getting the ball out and into a playmaker's hands.

The other QB FA's, Brady, Brees, Bridgewater, Keenum, Tannehill don't do a lot for me but Rivers is that guy that has seldom had a really good team around him and he had to carry it too often. I also don't think Brady or Brees hits the bricks and I don't see Bridgewater as an upgrade over Prescott but he might be more affordable.

the guy can no longer make every throw at this stage of his age and career. several of his deeper power throws flutters and ends up underthrowing his receivers.
and it's a reason why the Chargers are anxious to move on from him, and start anew. and it's not like he has the age 40'ish left overskills of a Brees or Brady.

if the Chargers had any kind of competent HC, he should have made and tailored the offense thru far more the run game than keep leaning on Rivers to carry the offense.
So of course he is gonna show more wear and mistakes than ever.

It's laughable turning to a near 40 washed up QB and is one of the ultimate sign of pure panic for fear of not being able to re-sign Dak.

Which by the way, its not a question of if we will re-sign Dak,... but more so,.when will we finally be able to seal the deal with him.

irving

Reaction score
It’s obvious some people don’t watch other teams, you are so correct Rivers has two of the better receivers in the league.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
He was terrible this year, so much that I benched his --- and started Stafford from the lions in fantasy. A BIG FAT PASS!

cowboyed

Reaction score
the guy can no longer make every throw at this stage of his age and career. several of his deeper power throws flutters and ends up underthrowing his receivers.
and it's a reason why the Chargers are anxious to move on from him, and start anew. and it's not like he has the age 40'ish left overskills of a Brees or Brady.

if the Chargers had any kind of competent HC, he should have made and tailored the offense thru far more the run game than keep leaning on Rivers to carry the offense.
So of course he is gonna show more wear and mistakes than ever.

It's laughable turning to a near 40 washed up QB and is one of the ultimate sign of pure panic for fear of not being able to re-sign Dak.

Which by the way, its not a question of if we will re-sign Dak,... but more so,.when will we finally be able to seal the deal with him.

Rivers quarterback coach likely is Brad Johnson.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coach, my son was born in San Diego and is a lifelong Chargers fan (poor soul) as a result I have watched PR all his career. Sadly He has hit the wall, that's all I can say.