Could the Big12 and PAC10 Combine?

DFWJC

Reaction score
jterrell;3435624 said:
TAMU was negotiating the offer, when the big 12 deal was revived. It was official enough that the SEC commish had the authority to get the deal done and was in town.

Like the Pac-10 did with Utah nothing was going to be official until it was actually agreed to but it certainly existed.

Most Aggies are really upset because they wanted to get away from Texas and go to the SEC but I agree with you that they came out better by far.

Selfishly I'd have liked to see Tech go to the Pac-16 and become part of the first super conference. I think they'd recruit West of Lubbock very well and end up better overall as they are used to working with lesser recruits.

At the same time I didn't want to see both SEC and Pac-10 schools playing games in Texas every season because of the recruiting impact for all the Texas majors.
All good points.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
jterrell;3435619 said:
You really must not be following this very closely.

The Big 10 could and would accept Texas with little thought. They have made overtures long before now.

The championship game revenue isn't an issue right now.. Fox already said they wouldn't ask for any money back with it gone the next two seasons and would guarantee no less in renegotiation than it pays now. Like I stated in the very first thread on this topic the Big 12 had plenty of tv draw in the next round of negotiations to make money. The big 12 likely expands back to 12 teams for future revenue purposes but doesn't need to do so right now.

Nebraska, Texas, Notre Dame are the only schools the Big 10 wants because they are the only ones who would up revenue. Everyone else just divides the revenue further.

If another major conference wants to offer Kansas and Kansas State more than the 14 mil they are guaranteed, please do. The Big 12 would be stronger without them.

There were never any overtures from the Big 10 to Texas. If you heard differently, you heard wrong.

Notre Dame wouldn't really make a dent in revenue, Rutgers means more to the Big 10 than any other school when it comes to revenue. You have to remember the TV contract is small potatoes compared to the .70 vs. .10 rates they get for in-market vs. out of market of the BigTen Neywork. The state of Indiana is covered by Indiana and Purdue.

The Big 10 is waiting on Notre Dame for the prestige and easy travel. The second they say yes, and they will someday soon when they start negotiating their next NBC deal and the money isn't there, they'll go after Rutgers, Maryland and Missouri.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;3437331 said:
There were never any overtures from the Big 10 to Texas. If you heard differently, you heard wrong.

Notre Dame wouldn't really make a dent in revenue, Rutgers means more to the Big 10 than any other school when it comes to revenue. You have to remember the TV contract is small potatoes compared to the .70 vs. .10 rates they get for in-market vs. out of market of the BigTen Neywork. The state of Indiana is covered by Indiana and Purdue.

The Big 10 is waiting on Notre Dame for the prestige and easy travel. The second they say yes, and they will someday soon when they start negotiating their next NBC deal and the money isn't there, they'll go after Rutgers, Maryland and Missouri.

No, you heard wrong.
try google...
texas to big 10

drew 77 million results but the top few headlines should provide all the info you need on the subject. Most of those hits didn't even come from Texas papers by the way.

Texas received overtures more than a year ago about joining the Big 10.
Texas seriously contemplated it because of the Academic reputation and grant money. Plus Texas views itself as a sophisticated school who likes playing in Chicago and Dallas instead of small college towns. BUT, Texas moved on from the idea and Missouri peeped up about wanting in. With that commotion Nebraska also starting flirting with them.

Texas was never going to consider the SEC because they consider them back wood hicks outside of a few schools.

ANY conference would gladly take Texas. They resulted in more revenue last year than even Notre Dame. They field nationally ranked programs in pretty much every sport and send untold numbers to the Olympics in those sports.

In fact if the Big 12 did disband in 2 years I expect you'd see:
UT, Kansas to the Big 10
TAMU, OU to the SEC
Tech, OkSt to the Pac-10
Baylor, Iowa State, K State, Missou would be scrambling to join an expanded ACC or MWC. Missou might even try to go to the Big East.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
jterrell;3437687 said:
No, you heard wrong.
try google...
texas to big 10

drew 77 million results but the top few headlines should provide all the info you need on the subject. Most of those hits didn't even come from Texas papers by the way.

Texas received overtures more than a year ago about joining the Big 10.
Texas seriously contemplated it because of the Academic reputation and grant money. Plus Texas views itself as a sophisticated school who likes playing in Chicago and Dallas instead of small college towns. BUT, Texas moved on from the idea and Missouri peeped up about wanting in. With that commotion Nebraska also starting flirting with them.

Texas was never going to consider the SEC because they consider them back wood hicks outside of a few schools.

ANY conference would gladly take Texas. They resulted in more revenue last year than even Notre Dame. They field nationally ranked programs in pretty much every sport and send untold numbers to the Olympics in those sports.

In fact if the Big 12 did disband in 2 years I expect you'd see:
UT, Kansas to the Big 10
TAMU, OU to the SEC
Tech, OkSt to the Pac-10
Baylor, Iowa State, K State, Missou would be scrambling to join an expanded ACC or MWC. Missou might even try to go to the Big East.

I'll just say that the person who personally told me there were never any overtures would know.

StylisticS

Reaction score
On many of the blogs pertaining to the Big 10 and the expansion throughout the internet, they did indeed make overtures to get Texas. The Big 10 wants Texas and Notre Dame and could get them in a couple years if all the conferences switch to superconferences.

I also read on the blog (mostly Frankthetank) that the bylaws about the states and borders is a myth.

BigWillie

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;3438035 said:
I'll just say that the person who personally told me there were never any overtures would know.

Too bad he is wrong, really wrong actually.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;3438035 said:

It could have been the commish of the Big 10 himself and he'd still be full of crud. This is the same guy who said he'd consult with Beebe before offering any team a spot then openly courted Nebraska and Tom Osbourne.

All conferences have by-laws and some require unanimous votes but they all can be changed. As the Big 10 wanted to have a championship game and get to 12 teams they really wanted Notre Dame but with Texas as their fall back. They've wanted that for a couple years now.