Could we be hiring a run game coordinator?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, just have ONE OC, and an assistant as usual for film prep or whatever.

Ever hear of too many irons in the fire. Well this would be the case. Too many mouths yapping and no one listening.
What is the other saying, too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

blueblood70

Reaction score
To pair up with Moore as passsing game coordinator? Would that soften the blow for some of you/us?
why we have Gary Brown dont we, just give him those dutys, im sure he can have enough input to not need anew RGC per sey in title, call GB a RB coach slash RGC..done..

_sturt_

Reaction score
No, just have ONE OC, and an assistant as usual for film prep or whatever.

Ever hear of too many irons in the fire. Well this would be the case. Too many mouths yapping and no one listening.
What is the other saying, too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

But, so, there seems to be some reason it's worked for the Rams.

We can argue why it would or why it wouldn't work here, but it works there.

And all I'm suggesting is, that framework appears to be where we're headed.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I feel like they’re just throwing everyone tog and hope it works. Random coaches who some have never coached before in Moore to kitna who is coming in to an unknown position suggested by jerry and have to work together to make it work.

Cowboyfan8

Reaction score
Why not try to bring romo in as oc he seems to know a lot about the game and what offenses should do

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But, so, there seems to be some reason it's worked for the Rams.

We can argue why it would or why it wouldn't work here, but it works there.

And all I'm suggesting is, that framework appears to be where we're headed.

Several factors involved there.

1st, when you have a very talented roster, it makes the coaches look better.
2nd, when you have the HC with some very good to great OC & DC, it makes all the coaches below them look better, regardless of how many or the set up and titles.

If Jason can get the DC & OC worked out, and they improve the roster, then it doesn't matter. As those guys are the main ones on game day. As the position coaches aren't calling the plays. Then, yeah, it may not be an issue.
Heck, maybe more the merrier, as to brain storming, and get different ideas.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Because Garrett has an Ivy League education, I am inclined to presume that he has a good analytical sense, and that he's looked at the problem as a matter of how the framework/system itself is efficient or inefficient, productive and non-productive... and that, independent of the talent side of the equation.

I don't know what, otoh, to presume about how Jerry and Stephen think about it, other than, I think Jerry revels in taking risks, and Stephen seems to be adept at reining-in his dad's revelry.

And so I don't know the pros and cons, and I don't honestly even know how the Rams system functions in comparison to the traditional system we're used to.

But I can imagine that Red wants to exert greater control over the play calling since that ultimately holds so much weight in answering the question of how much longer he will be head coach.

For better or worse, we appear to be waiting for a run game coordinator to be decided, and will see a Rams-type set-up and system established for 2019.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The rams also have a coach that makes sure McVay doesn’t run into officials.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/am...la_rams_have_an_assistant_coach_whose_job_is/
I just saw some clips of him in action on GMF.

lolololol! They should give the guy a leash. Or even better, a shock collar.

JayFord

Reaction score
We would be a joke with a run game and pass game coordinator

I’m sure Moore can do both

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The Rams don't have anyone with the title of OC.

Apparently they have the run/pass game coordinators to help Mcvay with his combo HC/OC duties.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Who knows what is merely new and trendy... like the west coast offense... and what is new for the moment, but turns out to be enduring... like the 3-4 defense.

None of us mortals have that kind of Nostradamus wisdom.

Maybe McVay's on to something and it works better for us as well... or maybe it doesn't.

But it appears pretty likely there's enough reason to think it might work better that we're going to be giving it a try.

cern

Reaction score
don't see the need with zeke as the #1 rb.

_sturt_

Reaction score
2019-01-23_1303.png

Out of 100 plays in 2018, we ran on about 43 of those. The Rams, about 44.

Our RB was #1 in most rushing categories, theirs' #2.

I don't see any serious difference in philosophy or talent there, do you?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gary Brown - Running Game Coordinator
Kellen Moore - Passing Game Coordinator

Yes. It could easily play out that way and I got a Cowboys!! waiting for it if it does.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

Yes. It could easily play out that way and I got a Cowboys!! waiting for it if it does.
My god the biggest of nightmares are these two running the offense. I'd rather have Jerrah calling plays.

_sturt_

Reaction score
One thing I think I'm understanding based on some reading some Rams content, but please correct me if anyone has more precise insight....

Under McVay's system, McVay takes the lead in constructing the game plan, but with heavy input from the two coordinators who, each, study the opposition's tendencies during the week, and help in scheming specific plays that they believe will be successful against certain defensive looks. During games, they are in constant communication with McVay making recommendations based on what they're seeing the defense actually doing, though he is the one making the calls.

Here's a link to one of the articles that I read...

https://www.therams.com/news/mcvay-offensive-staff-excelling-in-play-design-to-get-best-of-matchups

_sturt_

Reaction score

Maybe.

I think there's a reason we're in a holding pattern, though, and the only sense to be made of that is they're waiting on the results of pursuing an outsider.

And fwiw, if that pursuit proves unsuccessful, I'd be inclined to think Nussmeier would become the running game coordinator based on his previous experience as an OC and to a lesser extent, coaching some of the guys whose job it is to block.

visionary

Reaction score
To pair up with Moore as passsing game coordinator? Would that soften the blow for some of you/us?

Yes
Also need to hire several coordinators to coordinate between these coordinators and then one to coordinate between them and the OC

Garrett can't get enough help apparently