Could we let go of Tyron Smith

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'd entertain another year or 2 affordably. We know he probably won't ever play an entire season, but he's still valuable. Even though Tyler Smith has been named his replacement, we went and got Peters. I would solidify the LG and RT positions before I start cleaning out the bin.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You have to wonder what we'd do with Tyron, if the FO decides to keep him around.
I'm sure it's more than likely that we've found a home for Tyler! Got a guess? :huh:

It's anyone guess if he'd, somehow, be willing to accept a backup spot at this stage.

Last edited:

Loso86

Reaction score
If the season were to end today, and you're evaluating this roster, seeing how well Smith is playing/has played thus far, is Tyron done in Dallas?

(Sorry for the long sentence). We all love #77, he's been great in Dallas. I would love to see Smith work with Smith to get as strong or close to being as strong as he is in the gym. Please give your thoughts

Loso86

Reaction score
I'm sure he is soon, but its still a wait and see situation with Tyler

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I'm going to say his future all depends on how he comes back from this injury if he can be plugged in somewhere on this offensive line and be better than Steel or McGovern by all means we should do it and keep him.

I mean this isn't rocket science we want the best five guys out there I don't care if Tyron plays center if he's better than the one we have.

If he comes back a shadow of his former self and is even more of an injury prone liability unfortunately it'll be time to move on but at this point it's really just a waiting game to see how he recovers
Why not swing tackle? He wouldn't probably have to play a lot and could stay healthy longer giving his veteran wisdom up to the youngsters.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Why not swing tackle? He wouldn't probably have to play a lot and could stay healthy longer giving his veteran wisdom up to the youngsters.
He certainly could play swing tackle if he'd be cool with that type of a demotion not being a starter and also probably a cut in pay

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The team should not be counting on Tyron to start in 2023... no way.

I think between injuries and his contract, the Cowboys and Tyron will have to part ways. But for a Hall of Famer who's been nothing but a good soldier for the last decade, I hope the team respects him enough to give him his choice on how to finish his career. Keep him as a swing tackle on a reduced salary if he wants to stay, trade him to a team of his choice, or let him retire with no pressure. IMO he has earned that deference.

Cebrin

Reaction score
If the season were to end today, and you're evaluating this roster, seeing how well Smith is playing/has played thus far, is Tyron done in Dallas?

(Sorry for the long sentence). We all love #77, he's been great in Dallas. I would love to see Smith work with Smith to get as strong or close to being as strong as he is in the gym. Please give your thoughts
It wouldn't surpise me if he stays, but if I'm Dallas I'm cutting ties soon, but as respectfully as possible.

TS is one of the greatest to ever play the game. I'm heartbroken for him, but my tiny wallet is not.

TheCritic

Reaction score
All for cutting him loose after the season, but nothing is gained cutting him now. Salary cost is already sunk. plus at some point during the season, there will be a need for him and he will be better than anything available on the open market. Of course, he will likely get about 3 practice plays in and he'll trip over his shoe laces and be done for the rest of the season. I get it.

Acceptablename

Reaction score

My hats off to Tyron but it’s time

Ren

Reaction score
He'll probably retire after the season, dude can't stay healthy at all. I can imagine constantly rehabing injuries gets old no matter how much money you make

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Selfishly I want to keep him in a more limited role like swing tackle or right tackle. I think this is his last year. Had a hall of fame level career. If he wants to play they should stick by him since his salary isn’t that much.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Maybe as a back up, with a lower dollar contract?
He has missed games 7 seasons in a row.
No way should he be counted on as a starter.

Last edited:

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score

We could but should we? No. He’s still elite when healthy.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He needs to be protected from himself and placed on IR. Dude needs to retire while he can still walk.

conner01

Reaction score

Today, no
After the season I could easily see it