Could we let go of Tyron Smith

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I don't think there needs to be any rush to do anything. His salary for 2022 is paid.. I think they need to see what he looks like in the offseason in 2023 and make the call from there. Tyron has been such a good soldier and team player it would not shock me if he went to them and negotiated a team friendly deal with a paycut and incentives based on availability similar to what Sean Lee did. If you can retain him for 5-6 million a year and keep him as injury insurance you do that in a heartbeat. Or even start him knowing that if you need to slide Tyler out when Tyron goes down you will not suffer a huge dropoff. And for however many games you have them both that left side will be Newton/Tuinei level good.

Lol lol this is our problem now he's always the best in shape of his life in the off season fooling us to hold on

lostar2009

Reaction score
One year as back up and see from there. Unless we have hight cap savings.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If the season were to end today, and you're evaluating this roster, seeing how well Smith is playing/has played thus far, is Tyron done in Dallas?

(Sorry for the long sentence). We all love #77, he's been great in Dallas. I would love to see Smith work with Smith to get as strong or close to being as strong as he is in the gym. Please give your thoughts
you have to. his time has come and gone. appreicated him during the time he has been here. one of the best and most dominant LTs in the game. he is sure HOFer. but at this point, given injury histories. the tolls his body has taken. its time to move on.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
He will be a June 1st cut next offseason. That was cemented these last few games when he was injured again and our number 1 pick played way better than expected at his position.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Tyron Smith has handcuffed this franchise for too long. Great player but his health was arguably the biggest liability on the team for years

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If the season were to end today, and you're evaluating this roster, seeing how well Smith is playing/has played thus far, is Tyron done in Dallas?

(Sorry for the long sentence). We all love #77, he's been great in Dallas. I would love to see Smith work with Smith to get as strong or close to being as strong as he is in the gym. Please give your thoughts
Think that is the plan for next offseason, especially now with Tyler playing left tackle.

dfense

Reaction score
It's probably time. Dependability and availability. He hasn't played a full season since 2015.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He was done the minute the injury happened.

There is no doubt they contemplated cutting him in March but decided to give it one more chance to see if he could stay healthy.

Stephen Jones probably pukes everyday when he reviews the cap hits list and see Tyron's cap hit while not playing games...

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We still need a swing tackle with Peters playing G. Might be the perfect role for Tyron to ease back in. But lets not kid ourselves. Though Tyson is exceeding our expectations as a rookie, he is still not as good as a healthy Tyron. Right now, Tyson is the 33rd ranked tackle on PFF, and they do a really good job grading OL. Tyron is annually in the top 10. I'm not sure what Tyson's ceiling is but he's got a long way to go before he is as good as Tyron Smith who is only 31.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was done the minute the injury happened.

There is no doubt they contemplated cutting him in March but decided to give it one more chance to see if he could stay healthy.

Stephen Jones probably pukes everyday when he reviews the cap hits list and see Tyron's cap hit while not playing games...

Not as big as Daks cap hit.

LittleD

Reaction score
Another player who deserved to win a title but wasted his career playing for the worst run franchise in the NFL

Boys not as bad as Cleveland, Jacksonville or the Jets but, you do have a point. Sad to say but ownership is not going anywhere and better prospects don't appear on the horizon.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Contract is to good to let go. if he wants to be done let him retire.

The contract WAS 'to good'. With: injuries, a replacement that, at present, has shown he may be a valid alternative and a potential $10m CAP saving, in a 2023 year where every million will count, we should consider a cut.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Nope. Leave Tyler at LT. Make Tyron a swing tackle. Problem solved.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Tyron has been a great player but this is the NFL and all players reach their limit at some point due to all the physical abuse. Although he is better than many still, I think his time in as an elite NFL player is up