Count Me In on the Byron Jones Bandwagon...

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Good read right here...

"I had a high grade on him before, that's why I still like him," ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper said after the NFL Combine. "You can't like a guy after a workout if you didn't like him before. Fluid hips, real physical. He's a press corner. He had a shoulder injury in late October. He had 19 starts at cornerback the last two years and 20 starts at safety the first two years. He was a captain in high school, captain at UConn, team leader."

Read more: http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-byron-jones-espn-0418-20150417-story.html

dallasdave

Reaction score
Good read right here...

"I had a high grade on him before, that's why I still like him," ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper said after the NFL Combine. "You can't like a guy after a workout if you didn't like him before. Fluid hips, real physical. He's a press corner. He had a shoulder injury in late October. He had 19 starts at cornerback the last two years and 20 starts at safety the first two years. He was a captain in high school, captain at UConn, team leader."

Read more: http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-byron-jones-espn-0418-20150417-story.html

Sounds like a good pick. He has a lot of upside.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yep, I think he'll be a good one.

Many people don't like him because they think he was a "workout warrior" from the combine, like Mike Mamula was. However, that simply isn't the case. He was a very good prospect prior to his combine workout, who has terrific intangibles to go along with his good college production. His combine just got mainstream attention for him but he is a good player regardless of his measurables.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
Good read right here...

Great fit and matches what Dallas needs.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Didn't really see the fluid hips personally. It looks like he loses a lot of speed when it comes time to flip his hips and he ends up chasing as guys fly by him. He may be faster in a testing environment vs KJ or Peters, but they're better in transition. Maybe it's technique rather than stiff hips. He also seems consistently late to react.

I'd really rather stick to guys from major college programs/conferences. UConn and the AAC isn't it.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I only see 4 CBs worthy of a 1st round pick: Waeynes, Johnson, Peters and this guy. I can see a team (maybe us) spending a 1st on a guy like Rowe, but I don't think he's a 1st round talent. I also see one RB worthy (Gurley). I guess Gordon would be a decent pick if everyone else was off the board. And I like the two big DTs Shelton and Brown. If one of them happens to fall, I'd jump all over them. If not then take Gurley, and if he's gone take one of the 4 remaining CBs. Otherwise, trade back and try to get more picks. That's what I would do.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't really see the fluid hips personally. It looks like he loses a lot of speed when it comes time to flip his hips and he ends up chasing as guys fly by him. He may be faster in a testing environment vs KJ or Peters, but they're better in transition. Maybe it's technique rather than stiff hips. He also seems consistently late to react.

I'd really rather stick to guys from major college programs/conferences. UConn and the AAC isn't it.

Can you point out a game/play where that is an issue?

FYI - He is #16.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I don't buy it. He has the skills to get drafted on the first couple days, but he isn't and never was worthy of a first round pick.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
I don't see it. With all the hype on this guy I just had to rewatch the two games they have on draftbreakdown. He impressed me on one play against South Florida. Either they were playing zone or he got beat but was able to recover to tip the ball. He had two interceptions which were give mes. I mean it's a heads up play that he capatilized on but I don't see the BIG WOW with him.

Weaknesses: Very passive Tackler. I mean, if you hate how passive Jenkins was, this guy is worse. He's around the ball but never really uses that shoulder. Trys to grab and use his hands first for a tackle. I mean EVERY tackle. And trys to avoid contact Even in help situations. Gets banged up twice in both games. I'm talking about on the floor grimacing after very minimal contact. Just screams fragiley.

Hips are ok. Not gonna stick with slot receivers with those hips for sure. He does need to gather himself once turned around and yes I'm talking about #16. In the south Florida game the last seconds showed a player down. May have been him. I'm not sure.

I mean if you want to point out something to me show me some film where he is consistently winning match ups through out the game Id love to see it. If you are going by "measurables" sounds GREAT. The film doesnt match though. I am going with the two film on draftbreakdown. So please point out what makes him so special.