Count Me In on the Byron Jones Bandwagon...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think he might have been playing through a shoulder injury in 2014 before the injury eventually put him out for the final 5 games.

His tackling was better in previous years.

I record dozens of college games, so I did see some that probably are not available on the internet.

That's what I'm guessing as well. although, admittedly, it is a guess on my part.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
This is not true. I've seen him in pass coverage. What this kid can do is highpoint the ball and make plays on the ball. That's clear in his game film. He has some issues with his footwork and he could be a stronger tackler but he has ball skills, he has speed, he is intelligent and he has size. It's not a situation where nobody knows nothing.

Roy Williams was a thumper. He was as physical as you could ever want a DB to be. He couldn't cover very well but he could hit. We spent a 1st round pick on him. If you want a player like Roy Williams, you could probably get that player in the 3rd or 4th round. There are actually a lot of those players in this draft. However, if you want a guy who can cover, that's a little more difficult. There are not a lot of those guys in this draft, IMO. All but maybe 2 have issues there.

I understand the new rave of the evolving FSafetys Like Earl Thomas. The thing is, he is a CB that we will try out at CB and if that experimemt fails, then next year he'll try out as a FS and hopen that experiment works. Doesn't sound like a first round pick we expect to start just by saying that. Now, if we bring him to play a position he doesn't have a lot of experience at, he still needs to compete with Church and Wilcox who are steady, not great Safetys. Just seems the odds are against him and I'm not sure I personally would take him as a 1st with those possibilities.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I understand the new rave of the evolving FSafetys Like Earl Thomas. The thing is, he is a CB that we will try out at CB and if that experimemt fails, then next year he'll try out as a FS and hopen that experiment works. Doesn't sound like a first round pick we expect to start just by saying that. Now, if we bring him to play a position he doesn't have a lot of experience at, he still needs to compete with Church and Wilcox who are steady, not great Safetys. Just seems the odds are against him and I'm not sure I personally would take him as a 1st with those possibilities.

As I said before, he would not be my 1st choice either if I could have any of the CBs in this draft. I just think that he is one of the players that will be available at our pick and it is certainly a need position, IMO. To me, the possibility of being able to play FS is a plus.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Byron Jones will be drafted as a CB. Talking about him playing Safety is a waste of time.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
You know where I stand. Just can't get behind the hype on this kid. Even at 27, I'd rather wait for round 2 or trade down. I don't see a treasure filed bandwagon to hop on. Just uncertainty. He just screams Claiborne 2.0.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know where I stand. Just can't get behind the hype on this kid. Even at 27, I'd rather wait for round 2 or trade down. I don't see a treasure filed bandwagon to hop on. Just uncertainty. He just screams Claiborne 2.0.

Claiborne's problems are all mental. There is nothing to indicate a problem with Jones' mental makeup. The Cowboys should have taken Claiborne's 6 on the wonderlic as a warning that he was either stupid or a quitter or both.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Claiborne's problems are all mental. There is nothing to indicate a problem with Jones' mental makeup. The Cowboys should have taken Claiborne's 6 on the wonderlic as a warning that he was either stupid or a quitter or both.

Pointing out the uncertainty with Jones. Same movement, unproven tackler, physicality? and injuries.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pointing out the uncertainty with Jones. Same movement, unproven tackler, physicality? and injuries.

Jones blows Claiborne out of the water athletically: All of his times (including the agility drills) are better despite weighing 11 pound more. The explosiveness as seen in the jumps is drastically better.

Byron Jones
Height: 6005
Weight: 199
40 Yrd Dash: 4.43
20 Yrd Dash: 2.52
10 Yrd Dash: 1.50
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 44 1/2
Broad Jump: 12'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.94
3-Cone Drill: 6.78

Morris Claiborne
Height: 5111
Weight: 188
40 Yrd Dash: 4.50
20 Yrd Dash: 2.61
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.12
3-Cone Drill: 7.01

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Jones blows Claiborne out of the water athletically: All of his times (including the agility drills) are better despite weighing 11 pound more. The explosiveness as seen in the jumps is drastically better.

Byron Jones
Height: 6005
Weight: 199
40 Yrd Dash: 4.43
20 Yrd Dash: 2.52
10 Yrd Dash: 1.50
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 44 1/2
Broad Jump: 12'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.94
3-Cone Drill: 6.78

Morris Claiborne
Height: 5111
Weight: 188
40 Yrd Dash: 4.50
20 Yrd Dash: 2.61
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.12
3-Cone Drill: 7.01

I don't need to see that or read It. He doesn't play like His measurables.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
There is no doubt in game footage that he runs fast and jumps high.

I'm done with Jones. No one can really prove me to like him. Sure there are other film out there but his "highlight" filmmdoesnt even look that great. If he's there I hope we pass on him because he is an uncertainty in my book. If we take him then I'll look at positives but right now, he doesn't interest me.

If you want to talk about film he had two interceptions because the QB was running for his life. Like I said on page 1, he has that going for him. Heads up play but it wasn't him blanketing the WR or giving them problems. I hope for the life of our team that every CB on our team can pick off a scrambling Quarterbacks pass. I want a guy who can guard Dez. This guy, Jones seems too fragile and passive Ala Claiborne.

I feel like my posts are repetitive. I'll just stop here.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't really think anybody is trying to prove to you that you should like him. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions. If some like him, that's cool. If some don't, that's also OK.

In the end, if we take him, he will be a Cowboys and like him or not, I will pull for him to be great.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I'm done with Jones. No one can really prove me to like him. Sure there are other film out there but his "highlight" filmmdoesnt even look that great. If he's there I hope we pass on him because he is an uncertainty in my book. If we take him then I'll look at positives but right now, he doesn't interest me.

If you want to talk about film he had two interceptions because the QB was running for his life. Like I said on page 1, he has that going for him. Heads up play but it wasn't him blanketing the WR or giving them problems. I hope for the life of our team that every CB on our team can pick off a scrambling Quarterbacks pass. I want a guy who can guard Dez. This guy, Jones seems too fragile and passive Ala Claiborne.

I am in the same boat with you, as are others. I actually think its laughable that some of the guys jumping on his bandwagon were the very same people to caution against it after his jump at the combine.

On tape, he isn't a first day pick. He takes some chances and plays aggressive, which I really like, but his hip turn is atrocious. If he doesn't get a solid jam (which he wont in this defense) at the LOS, he has a very hard time turning and running. He plays the ball well in the air, but he was the beneficiary of some awful QB play too. When you watch Peters, Johnson and Waynes and then come back to Jones, the difference is obvious and glaring. I think Peters will be there at our spot and is the better pick.

I think Jones could become a solid player, don't get me wrong. However, I have no doubt in my mind there are 27 other better players in this draft. If we were to trade back into the second and pick up an extra pick, I might be ok with that. I would welcome his swagger and demeanor. Im not drafting for locker room guys in the first round though.

locked&loaded

Reaction score

He played 43 games and you are judging him off of two games where he was more than likely beaten up. His highlight film wasnt made by someone that had access to all his games, otherwise all of his interceptions would be on it. It is stupid to be so against the guy when you have literally seen less than 5% of his snaps.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I did not say, no film. I said little film, two games that I found. You, yourself said you saw him on film. Obviously, there is film out there, there is just not much. Having said this, what we see is not what scouts have access to. They have every game the kid has ever played. Just because we don't see it doesn't mean they don't. I've read no evaluation on this player that says he can't tackle or is unable to tackle. In fact, most say he needs work but is a willing tackler.

In a different draft, where there might be more talent at CB, he might not be a 1st round pick. In this draft, he may very well be.
There are more than two games out there. It's closer to 4 or 5, can't remember. It'd be nice to see a dozen of them, but after 3 or so games if you can't tell generally what type of player someone is, watching 7 more isn't going to help.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am in the same boat with you, as are others. I actually think its laughable that some of the guys jumping on his bandwagon were the very same people to caution against it after his jump at the combine.

On tape, he isn't a first day pick. He takes some chances and plays aggressive, which I really like, but his hip turn is atrocious. If he doesn't get a solid jam (which he wont in this defense) at the LOS, he has a very hard time turning and running. He plays the ball well in the air, but he was the beneficiary of some awful QB play too. When you watch Peters, Johnson and Waynes and then come back to Jones, the difference is obvious and glaring. I think Peters will be there at our spot and is the better pick.

I think Jones could become a solid player, don't get me wrong. However, I have no doubt in my mind there are 27 other better players in this draft. If we were to trade back into the second and pick up an extra pick, I might be ok with that. I would welcome his swagger and demeanor. Im not drafting for locker room guys in the first round though.

Can you point out specific plays that demonstrate this "hip turn" issue?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There are more than two games out there. It's closer to 4 or 5, can't remember. It'd be nice to see a dozen of them, but after 3 or so games if you can't tell generally what type of player someone is, watching 7 more isn't going to help.

Probably true.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I think he might have been playing through a shoulder injury in 2014 before the injury eventually put him out for the final 5 games.

His tackling was better in previous years.

I record dozens of college games, so I did see some that probably are not available on the internet.

I believe the coach even alluded to that after he went down for the year. Think he said he had been dealing with it for a while before that game.