Count Me In on the Byron Jones Bandwagon...

texbumthelife

Reaction score

Not a hip turn issue, but this is embarrassingly bad technique @1:34
Then, @2:14 you see the hip issue, he can't just turn and run because he's so stiff. He is actually beat pretty bad but makes a good play on a very poorly thrown ball.
@3:12 he leaves his jock on the ground because he is so slow out of his turn. He is bailed out by a horribly run route and an even worse thrown ball.

The guy has some ability, but he is consistently a step late to the play and very sluggish in his turn. That's why, even with his incredible athletic ability, he isn't consistently better.

This is just the Michigan tape. I can grab others if you need. Byron Jones is just very underwhelming as a "lock down" prospect. His ceiling looks like a good number two, to me. Maybe after some time and refinement, he can be a good number one. He actually reminds me quite a bit of Scandrick when he first broke in. No one was trying to paint Scandrick as a first rounder though.

Watch that tape and then go watch ANY tape on Peters and the difference should be glaring. One guy has all-world potential and is consistently making the play. The other is consistently a step late and is the beneficiary of some atrocious QB play. Go watch the tape on Johnson and his upside is staggering.

*Edit* I just realized that 2013. So it's not entirely accurate. I am searching for the vidoe I watched earlier. I remember being greatly underwhelmed by his highlights even.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
This is ECU 2014:

@ :28 You can see his sluggish hips. He doesn't whip around, it's like he's in quick sand. Because of it, he can't adjust and greatly overruns the route allowing a very easy completion.

On the very next play in the video @:44 you see it again, it's like he takes one or two steps in quick sand. This one he should have even been flagged for.

@1:05 before the ball is thrown, you see it again plain as day. One or two steps of sluggish deceleration.

I can't see to tell for sure, but based on the route and the outcome, I am pretty sure his turn is what gets him beat @1:16 too.

His jam @1:58 is incredible though! LOL

@2:05 you should be able to spot the trend...

Notice how he is almost always a step slow out of the break, even though he has incredible speed and athleticism. There is one reason for that. It sluggish hips. It's not an impossible work around, but it is generally frowned on in a CB you're taking that high and projecting to be your #1 of the future.

I mean, I can keep going if that's not enough...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Then, @2:14 you see the hip issue, he can't just turn and run because he's so stiff. He is actually beat pretty bad but makes a good play on a very poorly thrown ball.
@3:12 he leaves his jock on the ground because he is so slow out of his turn. He is bailed out by a horribly run route and an even worse thrown ball.

The guy has some ability, but he is consistently a step late to the play and very sluggish in his turn. That's why, even with his incredible athletic ability, he isn't consistently better.

This is just the Michigan tape. I can grab others if you need. Byron Jones is just very underwhelming as a "lock down" prospect. His ceiling looks like a good number two, to me. Maybe after some time and refinement, he can be a good number one. He actually reminds me quite a bit of Scandrick when he first broke in. No one was trying to paint Scandrick as a first rounder though.

Watch that tape and then go watch ANY tape on Peters and the difference should be glaring. One guy has all-world potential and is consistently making the play. The other is consistently a step late and is the beneficiary of some atrocious QB play. Go watch the tape on Johnson and his upside is staggering.

*Edit* I just realized that 2013. So it's not entirely accurate. I am searching for the vidoe I watched earlier. I remember being greatly underwhelmed by his highlights even.

1. Technique will obviously be less refined in 2013.
2. 1:34 - I don't know what he was doing, but it was not a physical issue and probably something he has already corrected.
3. 2:14 - You can't even see him turn his hips because this is not the All-22. He was far from "beaten badly".
4. 3:12 - I have no idea what you're talking about. He is right on the WR.

In your examples, in 1 of 3 he had an INT, in another he had a pass defensed and in the 3rd he was penalized but there was no catch.

You had 3 examples of his "bad" play and there was no a catch in any of them.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is ECU 2014:

@ :28 You can see his sluggish hips. He doesn't whip around, it's like he's in quick sand. Because of it, he can't adjust and greatly overruns the route allowing a very easy completion.

On the very next play in the video @:44 you see it again, it's like he takes one or two steps in quick sand. This one he should have even been flagged for.

@1:05 before the ball is thrown, you see it again plain as day. One or two steps of sluggish deceleration.

I can't see to tell for sure, but based on the route and the outcome, I am pretty sure his turn is what gets him beat @1:16 too.

Notice how he is almost always a step slow out of the break, even though he has incredible speed and athleticism. There is one reason for that. It sluggish hips. It's not an impossible work around, but it is generally frowned on in a CB you're taking that high and projecting to be your #1 of the future.

If you really believe those things then I doubt that your understanding is such that we can really have a conversation about this, but I'll give it a try.

Let's focus on the play at 44 because there is a good camera view of it and he is not turning while pressing. He played this exactly as it should be. He had a back peddle with no right/left bias until the WR cut because he had that entire back corner of the end zone to defend as well as the inside slant. It seems that you think his hips should somehow be aligned differently, but they should not. I think that you think his hips should be pointed towards the end zone and not towards the WR, but that is not the technique that he is playing nor should it be.

The only issue at 2:05 is that he needs to get his head turned better. There was no hip issue.

In several of these plays he is pressing (has contact with the WR) when turning. His turn is going to "look" differently when engaged with a WR and when he isn't.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
1. Technique will obviously be less refined in 2013.
2. 1:34 - I don't know what he was doing, but it was not a physical issue and probably something he has already corrected.
3. 2:14 - You can't even see him turn his hips because this is not the All-22. He was far from "beaten badly".
4. 3:12 - I have no idea what you're talking about. He is right on the WR.

In your examples, in 1 of 3 he had an INT, in another he had a pass defensed and in the 3rd he was penalized but there was no catch.

You had 3 examples of his "bad" play and there was no a catch in any of them.

In college. Against ECU. And we aren't talking about the results of the play. You asked me to show you a cases of his sluggish hips. If you can't see it, then you don't know what to look for.

But since you think I'm making things up or don't know what I am looking at:

From his NFL.com profile:
"WEAKNESSES
Plays with high center of gravity. Has difficulty gearing down quickly and changing directions. Doesn't always play with feet under him. Will lose balance and footing too often. Not a quick-twitch athlete. Feet show noticeable stall before firing forward out of backpedal. Willing to tackle but not a physical player. Suffered season-ending shoulder injury in seventh game of 2014 season."

CBSSports.com
"WEAKNESSES: Underwent surgery on his left shoulder in October and remains limited while he recovers. Wasn't viewed as a particularly physical defender even prior to the injury and therefore there is some concern as to how aggressive he'll be following surgery. Good lateral agility and balance but his feet tend to get stuck when breaking back toward the quarterback, leaving receivers a sliver of space to haul in passes."

National Football Post
"Jones needs to improve his footwork. He can get tall with his pedal and isn’t as smooth as his workout numbers would suggest with his turn. He also takes an extra step at times with his transition to close."

From NFL scout Chris Landry:
"He's explosive and fast. He's got size and balance. He doesn't play to that type of explosiveness. I had him as a 6.0. Mid-second-round value. That's what he is."

NFL Mocks.com
"His change-of-direction skills are below average at this point partly due to him playing with poor balance. He can read the play flawlessly, but the ability to actually make the play is to be questioned."

Do you need me to keep going? He has footwork issues, fluidity issues and stiff hips. I am not saying you can't like the guy, Im just saying, he is a workout warrior. Everyone can fight and argue and BS all they want. No one would have sniffed this kid in the first round before his combine and workout. His tape doesn't show what his measurables do. Like I already said, he is a good and smart kid and has room to get better, he is definitely not first round material though.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
If you really believe those things then I doubt that your understanding is such that we can really have a conversation about this, but I'll give it a try.

Let's focus on the play at 44 because there is a good camera view of it and he is not turning while pressing. He played this exactly as it should be. He had a back peddle with no right/left bias until the WR cut because he had that entire back corner of the end zone to defend as well as the inside slant. It seems that you think his hips should somehow be aligned differently, but they should not. I think that you think his hips should be pointed towards the end zone and not towards the WR, but that is not the technique that he is playing nor should it be.

The only issue at 2:05 is that he needs to get his head turned better. There was no hip issue.

In several of these plays he is pressing (has contact with the WR) when turning. His turn is going to "look" differently when engaged with a WR and when he isn't.

If you want to be a sarcastic, arrogant dbag, you can do that and we are done. I know what I am looking at and clearly, the PROFESSIONALS getting paid, see the same thing. You can take your snarky attitude somewhere else. I am done with you.

locked&loaded

Reaction score

The first one ...yeah he freaked out and committed a penalty that didnt need to be committed. As to your second two points...I have no idea what the hell you are talking about and dont see what you are seeing at all? Left his jock on the ground? Beat pretty bad? Holy Hyperbole... Do you have a vendetta against the guy because you are seeing things that just arent there..

locked&loaded

Reaction score
This is ECU 2014:

You have a tenuous grasp of the word quicksand..... I think you just dont like his stance, which maybe could be tweaked but beyond that...Did Byron Jones take your sister to dinner and not call her the next day?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
You have a tenuous grasp of the word quicksand..... I think you just dont like his stance, which maybe could be tweaked but beyond that...Did Byron Jones take your sister to dinner and not call her the next day?

Seriously, the arrogance some of you show... Yes, I know what quicksand means, wise ***.

It has nothing to do with his stance. It's his break. It's his fluidity. It's his footwork. It is also his hips. When he transitions, he loses all his speed. That's why he is so handsy, because if he wasn't, he'd get beat worse. You tell me the other reason why some one with such blazing speed and measurables is consistently a step behind his receiver. Even against what should be very inferior talent.

Am I nitpicking? Yes. It's called scouting. I was expressing my opinion non-chalantly and was asked for evidence. I also said originally that I thought his issues were correctable, but that it would take time and that's one of the reasons I didn't consider him a first rounder.

I've already provided links and quotes from others. Apparently there are quite a few people whose sisters he has taken out and not called them. Maybe even smashed there faces into a car windshield. We must all be delusional and have vendettas.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The first one ...yeah he freaked out and committed a penalty that didnt need to be committed. As to your second two points...I have no idea what the hell you are talking about and dont see what you are seeing at all? Left his jock on the ground? Beat pretty bad? Holy Hyperbole... Do you have a vendetta against the guy because you are seeing things that just arent there..

So then, I'm wrong? Because you don't see it? Is that how it works?

Maybe you have a tenuous grasp of what a good, fluid backpedal and turn look like.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Seriously, the arrogance some of you show... Yes, I know what quicksand means, wise ***.

It has nothing to do with his stance. It's his break. It's his fluidity. It's his footwork. It is also his hips. When he transitions, he loses all his speed. That's why he is so handsy, because if he wasn't, he'd get beat worse. You tell me the other reason why some one with such blazing speed and measurables is consistently a step behind his receiver. Even against what should be very inferior talent.

Am I nitpicking? Yes. It's called scouting. I was expressing my opinion non-chalantly and was asked for evidence. I also said originally that I thought his issues were correctable, but that it would take time and that's one of the reasons I didn't consider him a first rounder.

I've already provided links and quotes from others. Apparently there are quite a few people whose sisters he has taken out and not called them. Maybe even smashed there faces into a car windshield. We must all be delusional and have vendettas.

Cornerbacks are always a step behind the receiver... its because the receiver runs the route and the cb follows him...