Couple of early week thoughts about the Eagles

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Perhaps this might be a good game for Parsons to play more off the ball linebacker.
I think that is possible for sure. At least some of the time. I’ve been thinking they may do just that.

He could still be sent after the QB at times… just as a blitzer. However, he would be in coverage a good portion of the time.

We will see if Quinn does that sometimes.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That depends on success of other techniques in the interim. Combinations are tough against their offensive line. Things go better if the Eagles are just popped in their jaws...starting at their center. Yea, the Cowboys can match up there...(your views are always good) :starspin:
They’ll have to forgo much of the stunting that Quinn loves to do. We will see…

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Swift has had a fantastic season and has played a major role why this team has won 10 games.
Nah, he's nothing special. He's a product of the space created by Brown and Smith's ability to kill man coverage and get vertical. There are dozens of RBs in the league who could put up his numbers.

Swift is performing worse than Sanders in both success rate and ypc.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Have seen a ton of Eagle games this year, here are some of my thoughts:

-When the Eagles struggle they lean on Swift as a runner/receiver and Hurts legs. Take away Swift and the Eagles become easier to defeat.
-Jalen Hurts rarely stays in the pocket, likes to move right, where he makes a ton of big passing plays. Keep him inside the pocket.
-Hurts eats up man coverage, but really struggles against teams who play zone. Jets gave him fits in their loss this yr, will Quinn adjust?
-Eagle Defense plays that shell coverage in which they keep everything in front of them. Cowboys need to take what is giving and successfully run against light boxes.
-Do not know why the national meeting ever talks up Reddick, he is as good as any edge rusher in the entire league. Cowboys cannot allow him to wreck the game again.
-James Bradberry is the corner to watch, he is very instinctive, will leave his man when he sees what is coming, did this to Josh Allen.
-Cowboys must do a better job inside the red zone, this and the penalties got them beat down in Philly.
-Yes, cannot win committing so many penalties, must play cleaner football.
good points,
  • limiting their running game, specially swift. I don't mind hurts running as much as he tends to slow down as the game goes on
  • Limit big pass plays
  • offensively we need to run and similar game plan to Seattle. we did a lot of methodical marching down the field and converted inside the redzone. then it opened up the big pass plays down field.
  • provide help to Steele specially early on to see how he does. last time he struggled badly, so a TE, a FB or RB to help in pass protection and give them a nudge. Dak and WRs need just that little extra time for big plays.

limit penalties. limit penalties. limit penalties.

rambo2

Reaction score
Have seen a ton of Eagle games this year, here are some of my thoughts:

-When the Eagles struggle they lean on Swift as a runner/receiver and Hurts legs. Take away Swift and the Eagles become easier to defeat.
-Jalen Hurts rarely stays in the pocket, likes to move right, where he makes a ton of big passing plays. Keep him inside the pocket.
-Hurts eats up man coverage, but really struggles against teams who play zone. Jets gave him fits in their loss this yr, will Quinn adjust?
-Eagle Defense plays that shell coverage in which they keep everything in front of them. Cowboys need to take what is giving and successfully run against light boxes.
-Do not know why the national meeting ever talks up Reddick, he is as good as any edge rusher in the entire league. Cowboys cannot allow him to wreck the game again.
-James Bradberry is the corner to watch, he is very instinctive, will leave his man when he sees what is coming, did this to Josh Allen.
-Cowboys must do a better job inside the red zone, this and the penalties got them beat down in Philly.
-Yes, cannot win committing so many penalties, must play cleaner football.
Eagles cry on the sideline.

Swagger

Reaction score
Ultimately, the game will likely come down to a few key plays.

Enjoy the ride!

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Flags, Flags, Flags, Flags

If refs call a tight game Dallas is screwed
If they let them play, they got this

CCBoy

Reaction score
They’ll have to forgo much of the stunting that Quinn loves to do. We will see…
That depends on early success and point differentials to alter choices from there. I say 10 points ahead and entrance on into the second half.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Flags, Flags, Flags, Flags

If refs call a tight game Dallas is screwed
If they let them play, they got this
I'm an American and veterans...flags have a place upon sacrifice and effort.

Play it and let the team earn momentum and their own rhythms...fairly. For all!! :starspin:

Opening whistle, pop their center squarely in his jaw! Start there!!

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think that is possible for sure. At least some of the time. I’ve been thinking they may do just that.

He could still be sent after the QB at times… just as a blitzer. However, he would be in coverage a good portion of the time.

Oh Quinn will be working it for all he's good for. I'll eagerly be watching also...:starspin:

CCBoy

Reaction score
That depends on early success and point differentials to alter choices from there. I say 10 points ahead and entrance on into the second half.
Then I drift to this:

Kurt: I think the idea that there are still shutdown cornerbacks in today's game, a la Deion Sanders, is a myth. These wideouts are just too talented and the offensive schemes too complex to expect any one defensive back to completely smother an opponent. Who would you consider a shutdown corner this season? The Jets' Sauce Gardner? Pro Football Focus has him graded as the NFL's third-best coverage cornerback at 90.3, but his passer rating against is 97.0 and quarterbacks have completed 65.9 percent of their passes when throwing at him. Denver's Patrick Surtain earns praise, but PFF has him at 67.6 in coverage while allowing a 57.9 completion percentage with an 85.9 rating. Chicago's Jaylon Johnson? He's got PFF's top coverage grade at 90.4, but is giving up an 84.6 completion percentage and 98.4 rating. These guys are considered three of the best, and deservedly so, but are those truly shutdown numbers? There is a certain risk/reward with ball-hawking cornerbacks. Yes, they're going to give up some plays, but if they have a short memory, they're also going to make them – just like Bland. So try to exploit him if you dare, but consider this: PFF has Bland graded second overall in coverage at 90.3 with a completion percentage allowed of 60.9 and a passer rating against of just 64.1. If he's not a shutdown corner, I'd say he's at least in pretty good company.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-can-bland-be-a-shutdown-cornerback

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://sports.yahoo.com/did-49ers-...-what-it-revealed-about-philly-031707154.html

Just read a good article on Yahoos sports, how the 49ers game plan was to keep Hurts inside the pocket, especially taking away the B Gap. They stayed inside their lanes and took away Hurts rushing abilities.
In order for this to be successful, you need to hold up on the back end, because the pass rush will be slower getting to the QB (as we saw in the game last weekend). I'm not sure they can hold up and I'm not sure Quinn thinks they can. It's why we've done so much blitzing ever since Diggs went out.

Still think it's probably the best approach though.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score

they did a mix of the two last meetup, wonder if DQ will favor the LB role more this game