Couple of early week thoughts about the Eagles

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yes, but will they?

It takes patience and guys to not necessarily be trying to make a sack, but to play within a larger scheme. Sacks are so tempting for DL.
That's the first thing I saw or thought when I was reading about being able to keep him in the pocket and taking away the big gap I thought that very thing our guys seem to be glory hounds they want the sack the interception the fumble they seem to get out of position a lot is why sometimes they can't stop the run...

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
https://sports.yahoo.com/did-49ers-...-what-it-revealed-about-philly-031707154.html

Just read a good article on Yahoos sports, how the 49ers game plan was to keep Hurts inside the pocket, especially taking away the B Gap. They stayed inside their lanes and took away Hurts rushing abilities.
They did a bad job of it early, and I remember Gregory being one of those guys with poor gap discipline.

But once SF tightened up, they didn't even really have to pressure Hurts. He couldn't make the throws down the field.

Granted, Ward is a bad match-up for Brown and the SF secondary is playing really well right now in conjunction with their LBs.

But keeping Hurts in the pocket limits the damage he can do. Kind of like an early Dak Prescott

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I think that is possible for sure. At least some of the time. I’ve been thinking they may do just that.

He could still be sent after the QB at times… just as a blitzer. However, he would be in coverage a good portion of the time.

We will see if Quinn does that sometimes.
This.

Felt like this was the main problem last week against SEA. A lot of Pass Rushers ending up in the same place, jumping offsides, etc.

Just undisciplined.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Nah, he's nothing special. He's a product of the space created by Brown and Smith's ability to kill man coverage and get vertical. There are dozens of RBs in the league who could put up his numbers.

Swift is performing worse than Sanders in both success rate and ypc.
If not for this big plays against KC, Eagles are no where in that game.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
If not for this big plays against KC, Eagles are no where in that game.
? The Eagles scored 20 points and the offense was mostly anemic. They couldn't throw the ball because the Chiefs played with light boxes because they aren't scared of Swift. That game proves my point lol

His "big" plays are the product of teams focusing on the passing game. He's a pedestrian back.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
https://sports.yahoo.com/did-49ers-...-what-it-revealed-about-philly-031707154.html

Just read a good article on Yahoos sports, how the 49ers game plan was to keep Hurts inside the pocket, especially taking away the B Gap. They stayed inside their lanes and took away Hurts rushing abilities.
Our defense sometimes gets caught up in "making plays" and getting sacks instead of containment. Our defense looked and played undisciplined against the Seahawks and the miscommunication is on film. That will destroy us if we play zone or if they motion and try to confuse the coverage scheme.

Sydla

Reaction score
Have seen a ton of Eagle games this year, here are some of my thoughts:

-When the Eagles struggle they lean on Swift as a runner/receiver and Hurts legs. Take away Swift and the Eagles become easier to defeat.
-Jalen Hurts rarely stays in the pocket, likes to move right, where he makes a ton of big passing plays. Keep him inside the pocket.
-Hurts eats up man coverage, but really struggles against teams who play zone. Jets gave him fits in their loss this yr, will Quinn adjust?
-Eagle Defense plays that shell coverage in which they keep everything in front of them. Cowboys need to take what is giving and successfully run against light boxes.
-Do not know why the national meeting ever talks up Reddick, he is as good as any edge rusher in the entire league. Cowboys cannot allow him to wreck the game again.
-James Bradberry is the corner to watch, he is very instinctive, will leave his man when he sees what is coming, did this to Josh Allen.
-Cowboys must do a better job inside the red zone, this and the penalties got them beat down in Philly.
-Yes, cannot win committing so many penalties, must play cleaner football.
49ers did seem to play a lot of man however and they locked down the Eagles WRs. I think they had 11 PBUs in that game.

Swift/Gainwell is the key. You can't let them run all over you. DL has to play smart and disciplined. You need to put Philly in 2nd and 3rd and longs.

Also, this might be the game to tune down the wild dog mentality on the pass rush. San Fran ran controlled 4 man rushes and tried to keep Hurts in the pocket which worked. If we are just pinning our ears back and running upfield with random abandon, he's going to kill us with his legs.

We have to figure out some sort of run game. San Fran was excellent on first down runs giving themselves a bunch of 2nd and 3rd and shorts. San Fran's OL is not great but they do have McCaffery. This might be a game to let Dowdle carry more because he just looks like a better between the tackle TB than Pollard at this point.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
? The Eagles scored 20 points and the offense was mostly anemic. They couldn't throw the ball because the Chiefs played with light boxes because they aren't scared of Swift. That game proves my point lol

His "big" plays are the product of teams focusing on the passing game. He's a pedestrian back.
Huge play in chunk play in the 2nd half that lead to them taking the lead.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Our defense sometimes gets caught up in "making plays" and getting sacks instead of containment. Our defense looked and played undisciplined against the Seahawks and the miscommunication is on film. That will destroy us if we play zone or if they motion and try to confuse the coverage scheme.
Maybe they are unable to do it, which is totally unacceptable if they claim they have a top defense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
49ers did seem to play a lot of man however and they locked down the Eagles WRs. I think they had 11 PBUs in that game.

Swift/Gainwell is the key. You can't let them run all over you. DL has to play smart and disciplined. You need to put Philly in 2nd and 3rd and longs.

Also, this might be the game to tune down the wild dog mentality on the pass rush. San Fran ran controlled 4 man rushes and tried to keep Hurts in the pocket which worked. If we are just pinning our ears back and running upfield with random abandon, he's going to kill us with his legs.

We have to figure out some sort of run game. San Fran was excellent on first down runs giving themselves a bunch of 2nd and 3rd and shorts. San Fran's OL is not great but they do have McCaffery. This might be a game to let Dowdle carry more because he just looks like a better between the tackle TB than Pollard at this point.
SFO runs all that motion and misdirection, catches players out of position. Agree, they cannot play with that wild dog mentality or it will allow Hurts to be us on the ground. Yes, the 49ers did mix up their coverages, which they rarely did last season.

GMO415

Reaction score
Have seen a ton of Eagle games this year, here are some of my thoughts:

-When the Eagles struggle they lean on Swift as a runner/receiver and Hurts legs. Take away Swift and the Eagles become easier to defeat.
-Jalen Hurts rarely stays in the pocket, likes to move right, where he makes a ton of big passing plays. Keep him inside the pocket.
-Hurts eats up man coverage, but really struggles against teams who play zone. Jets gave him fits in their loss this yr, will Quinn adjust?
-Eagle Defense plays that shell coverage in which they keep everything in front of them. Cowboys need to take what is giving and successfully run against light boxes.
-Do not know why the national meeting ever talks up Reddick, he is as good as any edge rusher in the entire league. Cowboys cannot allow him to wreck the game again.
-James Bradberry is the corner to watch, he is very instinctive, will leave his man when he sees what is coming, did this to Josh Allen.
-Cowboys must do a better job inside the red zone, this and the penalties got them beat down in Philly.
-Yes, cannot win committing so many penalties, must play cleaner football.
Ok.....did MM read any of this?

krs1bro

Reaction score

I always love the forums analysis. The intangibles will always be how the coaching staff can sceam and put us in the best position to win. I have been as critical on the coaching staff and Dak as we have moved thru the season as we all have at some point and rightly so. This is the time of year for DC to put their stamp on its destiny. I'm hoping they can take care of business when it matters most. Please don't let us down DC. Go Cowboys!!!!

CCBoy

Reaction score
If Pollard has a big game that will tell us a whole lot about the entire Cowboys team!