Cowboy fans need to listen to our owner not noise from media

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Everyone is making speculation on what the Cowboys should do in regards to our coaching , QB contract and overall situation but they aren’t soaking in what Jethro is telling us.

Regardless however ridiculous or frustrating we are with our current state of the union it probably isn’t on the same page as our owner.

In order to have a better insight or instincts to our owners priorities and intentions they should at least attempt to take him for his word and what’s he’s trying to communicate.

I’ve invested 35 years now following Jethro . In the early years I met him on several occasions beginning in New Orleans in Sept 1989 as I was part of the initial group of Dallas Cowboys Travel Club which I traveled with team . I was also a season ticket holder and attended all of the Training Camps at St Edwards in Austin, Midwestern Univ in Witchita Falls and Alamodome in San Antonio.

In those early years I was in support and All In because of his hiring of Jimmy . I said from Day 1 that he was a hands on owner we could tolerate as long as we were having success on the field. Once it was revealed after the fallout with Jimmy that his priorities weren’t all about winning placing his personal agendas ahead of what’s best for Cowboys Football is when I begun speaking out against him.

I tell you this because I’ve always felt appreciative of his personal demeanor greeting me and brief converse we had. But that was when we felt his intentions were honorable despite his socks to jocks mantra which initially made us very cautious and uncomfortable.

I’ve been on the forefront calling him out since . After most of 4 decades as season ticket holder at Texas Stadium ( my father had our tickets for first 15+ years) I was part of tens of thousands long time season ticket holders which refused to make the trip over to new stadium.

Anyway, I believe this qualifies me as much as anyone I’ve heard from in this forum to present some insight to what our owner is thinking or what his intent is. I hope fans here will take some credence to this.

In the end it’s still my opinion but it’s based on much history of following the man and his actions which unfortunately have been closer to reality than what I’d prefer. And these thoughts I present don’t necessarily represent my opinions on the matter but rather what I believe his are.

And too many pundits in the media , social media and fans aren’t either taking him for his word or don’t fully understand what makes him tick. But from everything he’s stated in last week suggest he’s still All In on our QB which means another contract . And while he’s not extended our HC he’s giving him his final year on contract in a situation most would probably have made a change.

He still sees this team as being close. At least that’s his perspective he’s perpetuating publicly which is what we need to follow. He’s often brutally honest revealing entirely too much information. He believes more will buy in as he truly believed it. And it appears he believes we aren’t a playoff team without our QB .

I’d suggest fans brace for the reality of the message he’s been sending about these two key elements. Will there be other roster changes , of course as there is always some adjustments needed made with Cap implications, etc.

But this old fool is still All In on our QB. He loves the comfortable situation of being a playoff contender with him even if it comes up short in playoffs. This is a much better situation to him than the risk of starting over and what those unknowns present.

He sold 8-8 as well as we’ve ever seen. I promise you he will sell 12-5 as well. What he can’t sell is 5-12. And that’s his greatest fear and why he will stay with what is a consistent winning situation however frustrating and disappointing these end of seasons are.

I wish I had better news. But if Cowboy fans truly want the change they are seeking will need to root for a collapse or possible career ending injury cause this owner is not about to walk away from this level of success with this QB until he sees another can take him as far like when he let Romo go for Dak.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All I hear is that you had a chance to push him down some stairs ...... or drop a banana peal on the ground for him to slip on ....... or let loose a pack of wild dogs to chew him up, and you were not enough of a hero to do it.

sad

I hate you
When I came in contact with him in those early years we were thankful he brought Jimmy in.

I never came in contact with him again after Jimmy left. I stopped traveling with team.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
One thing you are forgetting is that as we age as individuals our sense of reality changes, and at his age there is no chance Jerry is in the same frame of mind as when he bought the team, and you had pleasant convos with him. He will only get worse as dementia inevitably sets in, so all we have to hope for is that Jr steps up.....Jr stepping up is of course what we fans will be relegated to facing sooner than later. So you are right, things will not get better, will only get worse

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry

gloria-stuart_240-690082e8bddf48fba889e3b86bd8e403.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys

Heart-of-the-Ocean_1200x.jpg

What Jerry does every year

6bcW.gif

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Weird thing is.. thats not the necklace she is wearing... anywayyyy.. I digress......

MikeT22

Reaction score
I’d suggest fans brace for the reality of the message he’s been sending about these two key elements. Will there be other roster changes , of course as there is always some adjustments needed made with Cap implications, etc.

But this old fool is still All In on our QB. He loves the comfortable situation of being a playoff contender with him even if it comes up short in playoffs. This is a much better situation to him than the risk of starting over and what those unknowns present.

He sold 8-8 as well as we’ve ever seen. I promise you he will sell 12-5 as well. What he can’t sell is 5-12. And that’s his greatest fear and why he will stay with what is a consistent winning situation however frustrating and disappointing these end of seasons are.

I wish I had better news. But if Cowboy fans truly want the change they are seeking will need to root for a collapse or possible career ending injury cause this owner is not about to walk away from this level of success with this QB until he sees another can take him as far like when he let Romo go for Dak.
Totally agree. And the only time he made a significant change and stepped back was when he hired Parcells. And that took 5-11 three years in a row, plus needing support for a new stadium.

Even three straight 8-8 non-playoff years with Garrett was good enough since we were relevant and playing in a win-and-get-in season finale each of those years. Even losing all three times Jerry essentially viewed it as a playoff game and being relevant up til the end.

So yeah, having winning seasons and making the playoffs is all it takes for him to be content. He's making money, the team is relevant and marketable, he has his Taj Mahal and can continue being the face of the franchise / GM / de facto HC.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone is making speculation on what the Cowboys should do in regards to our coaching , QB contract and overall situation but they aren’t soaking in what Jethro is telling us.

Regardless however ridiculous or frustrating we are with our current state of the union it probably isn’t on the same page as our owner.

In order to have a better insight or instincts to our owners priorities and intentions they should at least attempt to take him for his word and what’s he’s trying to communicate.

I’ve invested 35 years now following Jethro . In the early years I met him on several occasions beginning in New Orleans in Sept 1989 as I was part of the initial group of Dallas Cowboys Travel Club which I traveled with team . I was also a season ticket holder and attended all of the Training Camps at St Edwards in Austin, Midwestern Univ in Witchita Falls and Alamodome in San Antonio.

In those early years I was in support and All In because of his hiring of Jimmy . I said from Day 1 that he was a hands on owner we could tolerate as long as we were having success on the field. Once it was revealed after the fallout with Jimmy that his priorities weren’t all about winning placing his personal agendas ahead of what’s best for Cowboys Football is when I begun speaking out against him.

I tell you this because I’ve always felt appreciative of his personal demeanor greeting me and brief converse we had. But that was when we felt his intentions were honorable despite his socks to jocks mantra which initially made us very cautious and uncomfortable.

I’ve been on the forefront calling him out since . After most of 4 decades as season ticket holder at Texas Stadium ( my father had our tickets for first 15+ years) I was part of tens of thousands long time season ticket holders which refused to make the trip over to new stadium.

Anyway, I believe this qualifies me as much as anyone I’ve heard from in this forum to present some insight to what our owner is thinking or what his intent is. I hope fans here will take some credence to this.

In the end it’s still my opinion but it’s based on much history of following the man and his actions which unfortunately have been closer to reality than what I’d prefer. And these thoughts I present don’t necessarily represent my opinions on the matter but rather what I believe his are.

And too many pundits in the media , social media and fans aren’t either taking him for his word or don’t fully understand what makes him tick. But from everything he’s stated in last week suggest he’s still All In on our QB which means another contract . And while he’s not extended our HC he’s giving him his final year on contract in a situation most would probably have made a change.

He still sees this team as being close. At least that’s his perspective he’s perpetuating publicly which is what we need to follow. He’s often brutally honest revealing entirely too much information. He believes more will buy in as he truly believed it. And it appears he believes we aren’t a playoff team without our QB .

I don’t usually read posts this long but nice read. Sounds like you are like me. My grandfather worked at the old cowboy building in the Landry era. It was attached to a playboy bunny joint. My earliest cowboy memories were walking through those halls occasionally bumping into a player. I met Mel Renfro and DD Lewis……. Got their autographs. But the ladies in the leotards with the ears and cotton tails were my favorite. The 70’s were a great time to be Dallas Cowboy fan.

I think it’s that connection to my childhood that keeps me putting up with this team under lord jerry and now his boy wonder. In 2001, we had been drafting so poorly for so long it was almost laughable. I sent a copy of Kipers draft guide to Jerry addressed to the team headquarters. lol

Thrill99

Reaction score

Yeah, that is a lot of words to tell us what most already knew. But I do appreciate the effort.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t usually read posts this long but nice read. Sounds like you are like me. My grandfather worked at the old cowboy building in the Landry era. It was attached to a playboy bunny joint. My earliest cowboy memories were walking through those halls occasionally bumping into a player. I met Mel Renfro and DD Lewis……. Got their autographs. But the ladies in the leotards with the ears and cotton tails were my favorite. The 70’s were a great time to be Dallas Cowboy fan.

I think it’s that connection to my childhood that keeps me putting up with this team under lord jerry and now his boy wonder. In 2001, we had been drafting so poorly for so long it was almost laughable. I sent a copy of Kipers draft guide to Jerry addressed to the team headquarters. lol
Awesome. I went by the old Playboys / Cowboys building on Hwy 75 a few times myself.

My best friend moved to Valley Ranch years ago so he could be closer to the Cowboys. We used to go by and look thru the fence at practices. He still lives there .

It was a great childhood and young adult life with the Cowboys. I was so invested , emotionally and financially.