Cowboy free agents, who stays and who goes?

robertfchew

Reaction score
Anthony Brown is a good slot CB. I doubt Dallas over anything over 7mil to Bryon. 3-4mil a yr for Brown is good value

Byron is like a 3 million dollar player. I’d pay ab 1.5 if nothing else was available

DanA

Reaction score
Byron is like a 3 million dollar player. I’d pay ab 1.5 if nothing else was available

He’s worth more than that. He beats the no.1 WR every week. Sure there’s no interception which pushes him out of the top bracket IMO but the ability to shut down a no.1 will get him 10m+

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nate was on hanging with the boys and basically said exactly whats going to happen. He broke it down for these people.

Said he hears about Dallas is going to lose people this and that.

"who are they losing? these guys are 25 yrs old, who are they losing?"

"There are two contracts that are getting done, Dak and Cooper."

" they will offer Jones what they think he's worth and will most likely get offered more somewhere else"

He mentions Antwuan Woods but Woods a exclusive rights FA, he'll be a Cowboy next yr

FREEAGENTS

Dak Prescott: He's getting signed
Amari Cooper: He's getting signed
Byron Jones: More money somwhere else
MIchael Bennett: I dont think either will want another yr
Robert Quinn: Same as Bennett
Randall Cobb: Was he any better then what Dallas had with Beasley? Think they offer but not enough
Jason Witten: Retires
Sean Lee: I think they sign him for another yr.
Christian Covington: no offer
Jeff Heath: I think they will offer low, but i think they want to upgrade. They tried to get Adams
Anthony Brown: bring him back for half of what you offer Jones
Joe Thomas: try to sign him
Tavon Austin: doesnt do enough, not even close...pass
LP Ladouceur: until he says hes retiring hes on the team
Kerry Hyder: see ya
Kai Forbath: i think if he does what he did vs the Rams hes the kicker in 2020
Malcolm Smith: They wont need him
Maliek Collins: Think same with Jones, will get more elsewhere
Xavier Su'a Filo: Dallas has drafted for the future already.
Justin March: most likely comes back cheap
Darian Thompson: His nameplate is probably already gone
CJ Goodwin: who?
Daniel Ross: He's never going to be something in this league
Kavon Frazier: Could be brought back cheap, but have they replaced him with Wilson?
Cooper Rush: bye
Blake Jarwin: will be back RFA
Adam Redmond: RFA will be back

Only 4 difficult decisions:
CB Jones
CB Brown
DT Collins
DE Quinn

They would like to keep all 4 but the Market Price is completely unknown at this point because of questions marks surrounding their part in the overall defense.

How much for a no INT CB?

Brown would have had starter offers if he had played all season.

Collins is under-rated by fans but last season DT Brown from the Pats with NO for 3 years, 15M. The Cowboys would keep Collins for that price.

Quinn played on a 1 year, 8M deal. Both sides might want to do that again.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
JJ, JJ JJ, good news buddy, you really screwed things up. Thanks for that.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
This thread usually doesn’t get started until after the season is over but heck why not.

Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper are headed for the franchise and transition tags, respectively.

Jason Witten should retire but I don’t know that he will. But he can’t come back for another year. I’d take Sean Lee back though; he has shown there’s still fuel in that tank, and he’s depth at a position that sees its share of injuries every season.

Of the long time Cowboys set to become free agents, I would make a run at Byron Jones. It’s not easy to find cornerbacks in this league and he has played well.

The only other one I’d resign is possibly Jeff Heath, unless I could replace him in free agency - Denver’s Justin Simmons is set to be a free agent - he has 4 picks and a crazy amount of tackles.

There’s always huge preseason hype around Maliek Collins but he always disappoints. I’m assuming we’ll have a new defensive coordinator who will favor bigger bodies in the middle too.

Of the 1-year contract free agent signings this year, I’d take both Robert Quinn and Michael Bennett back but Quinn is the more likely of the two. Bennett is playing for his last contract and there’s a good chance that his play deteriorates in another year or two.

Say goodbye to Randall Cobb. He has been a huge disappointment - 15th in the NFC in dropped passes, disappears entirely from games, and he’ll be another year older.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Stephen has his hands full. Long list.

Lots of material for us to talk about after the season is officially over.
Not trying to be a thread buster,, but yeah... agree
Doesn't this team have a really big game this sunday,, relevant to this year?
I don't even want to comment on the offseason until this season is finished.. its not finished at least until sunday.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
High ticket keeps:

Dak, Coop, Amari

Mid:
Quinn, Collins

Low:
Thomas, Looney, Lee, Hyder, LP

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Not trying to be a thread buster,, but yeah... agree
Doesn't this team have a really big game this sunday,, relevant to this year?
I don't even want to comment on the offseason until this season is finished.. its not finished at least until sunday.

this is true, i felt it was over, but Garrett went and did what Garrett does, and at least until Sunday, Dallas is still in it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Quinn has a season of empty sacks. Not one has made an impact. That and he's a first down walking on run plays. Teams dont even run at Lawrence because Quinn is so bad vs the run.

Bennett and Dallas i dont think can make it last another yr. He looks so out of place that theres no chance he's back.

There are cheaper alternatives in FA then Quinn, guys like Ogbah who is younger and more complete instead of a one trick poney that Quinn is. And Dallas still has Randy Gregory for chump change in 2020.

Dallas will be drafting in a spot in RD1 that will be prime for the team taking Derrick Brown, Raekwon Davis, or Javon Kinlaw. You can even add Curtis Weaver in there.

And Lastly Dallas isnt the Cowboys of 2009 where they were signing expensive aging players. Theyre in the business of drafting good. And using FA to fill depth.

Ogbah isn't as good as Quinn getting after the QB.

How does one quantify whether a sack is hollow or not?

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
This list is definitely quantity over quality. 75% of that list can easily be replaced. I am not losing any sleep over it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Only 4 difficult decisions:
CB Jones
CB Brown
DT Collins
DE Quinn

They would like to keep all 4 but the Market Price is completely unknown at this point because of questions marks surrounding their part in the overall defense.

How much for a no INT CB?

Brown would have had starter offers if he had played all season.

Collins is under-rated by fans but last season DT Brown from the Pats with NO for 3 years, 15M. The Cowboys would keep Collins for that price.

Quinn played on a 1 year, 8M deal. Both sides might want to do that again.

If possible, think I'd rather keep Bennett over Quinn. He brings a little more consistency and leadership IMO.......
Don't see them even trying to keep Byron Jones for what he'll like get on the open market. Either way, I'm guessing DB will be at least one of our first three 2020 draft picks.

tm1119

Reaction score
Funny how brain washed into this “we like our guys” and “next man up” thinking some of you are. This team (more so defense) already doesn’t have enough talent, if we lose the players the OP is suggesting we will be terrible.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
You have to bring back one of Quinn or Bennett.

Who is the starting DE opposite Lawrence in 2020? Armstrong? I hope not. I hope they don't also try to half *** it in FA again with retreads.

You also can't count on a rookie so I think it would be a big mistake to not have Quinn or Bennett back.

Yeah because the defense has been so awesome so far this year.

This is like when people were lamenting Claiborne and Carr and Wilcox and Barry Church were free agents. The defense wasn't great to begin with.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I think Gregory coming back next season will allow us to be creative with Quinn and Bennett. I'd prefer to keep Bennett but I have a feeling if we don't make some noise to finish out the season he will not want to return. I hope I'm wrong as he's the perfect fit for what we need going forward. Once we win the SB this year though I think he sticks around.

Creeper

Reaction score
Its a long list and some of these guy contribute even if they are not stars. People are talking about letting Byron Jones go like he just some guy. He is one of the top rated CBs in the league. If other teams are going to offer him more money its because they see him as a player who is worth it. They cannot let Brown and Jones go. They must sign one. I am guessing it Brown too. Jones will get more from someone than Jerry is willing to offer and I would not be surprised if the Giants or Eagles sign him.

The same thing is true with the defensive line. Letting Collins, Hyder, Bennett, Quinn, Covington and Ross go seems like a no brainer but Collins is a starter, and so is Quinn. If you let those guys go you beetter have a backup plan to find guys as good if not better or your defense gets worse.

I think they sign Rush. If for no other reason than he knows the system and he won't cost a lot of money - plus, they have no one else.

Going back to my point. Its a long list and you have to have Jags. A bunch of these guys are going to be re-signed.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Ogbah isn't as good as Quinn getting after the QB.

How does one quantify whether a sack is hollow or not?

Doesn't matter. Players don't have a magic quality of getting sacks when it's most convenient. If Quinn's didn't come at the most convenient time to have them, that doesn't make him any worse a player.