1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Cowboy history: Biggest waste of talent (self inflicted)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by OmerV, Jul 1, 2022.

1. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

48,134 Messages
    32,247 Likes Received
    AFLAC!!!

America's Cowboy and kskboys like this.
  2. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

7,544 Messages
    3,384 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

America's Cowboy likes this.
  3. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

6,380 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    I am one of those who thought Carter a good QB, and that's because I became a fan of the Cowboys in 1999. (Too young to know anything earlier.) Never saw Aikman in his prime, never saw a Cowboys team better than 8-8 until Carter's second season. In fact, to this day, I've never seen Dallas advance beyond the divisional round, or win a road playoff game, in my life.

To me, Quincy was "good," and Romo in 2006-2014 might as well have been Joe Montana.

4. Floatyworm

Floatyworm The Labeled One

19,070 Messages
    16,999 Likes Received
    Think you can add.....

Taco Charlton
    LVE
    Byron Jones
    Dez
    Jaylon

Afraid they are gonna mess up Parsons too...he was great getting after the QB...wasted him the last month of last year....playing LBer.

5. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

34,861 Messages
    37,565 Likes Received
    Hey, I forgot about that!!! My nickname for Carter was Quincy the Duck!!!!!! I have never seen an NFL QB throw that many ducks!!!!!!

6. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

34,861 Messages
    37,565 Likes Received
    Yeah, and we already covered that.

Quincy had a horrible comp %, a terrible TD/INT ratio(17-22), very low yardage totals(3,301), and was drug to the playoffs by the #1 D in the NFL. He was an absolutely awful passer. Strong arm, but not a good one.

7. jsb357

jsb357 Well-Known Member

5,041 Messages
    5,460 Likes Received
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

48,134 Messages
    32,247 Likes Received
    ABC was what we called him. Anyone But Carter.

kskboys likes this.
  9. terra

terra Well-Known Member

2,353 Messages
    2,369 Likes Received
    Anyone who thinks Q was a good QB is someone that probably thought Jeff George, Jumongus Russell, and Ryan Leaf were sure Hall of Famers.

kskboys likes this.
  10. nate dizzle

nate dizzle Well-Known Member

4,118 Messages
    6,184 Likes Received
    He put his hat on backwards and derailed his career.

11. nate dizzle

nate dizzle Well-Known Member

4,118 Messages
    6,184 Likes Received
    Kevin Smith is someone I think was on their way to having a great career if he hadn't blown out his achilles.

lwehlers and kskboys like this.
  12. eromeopolk

eromeopolk Well-Known Member

3,360 Messages
    3,490 Likes Received
    It is hard to say Harvey Martin, Duane Thomas, Hollywood Henderson, and Lance Rentzel were waste of talent when they all have Super Bowl rings, started for the Cowboys, some were All Rookie, All Pro, Pro Bowlers, and NFL Defensive Players of the Year (Martin).

Basically from 1994-present was a waste of talent by Jerry Dumbo GM Jones and Stephen Executed VP Jones. Leave the real Dallas Cowboys out of the wasted talent discussion and stick with the Arlington Jonesboys era.

13. Tractor1

Tractor1 Active Member

374 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Not sure Irvin had a drug problem, but he had girl problem where drugs became an issue.

14. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

43,558 Messages
    21,889 Likes Received
    If drugs become an issue you have a problem.

15. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

24,371 Messages
    20,904 Likes Received
    How are Martin's 11 years "far longer" than Bruce Smith's 19 years and Deacon Jones 13 years?

I understand he had those great sack seasons. That's why I say he could have been considered among the elite pass rushers ever had he stayed at that level longer. He did not maintain the consistency over time the way Bruce Smith and Deacon Jones did. Bruce Smith, for example, had 13 double digit sack seasons.

As for declining real fast, he had 8.5 sacks in 9 games in 1982 and in his last year of 1983 he had 2 sacks in 16 games. How would that not be a rapid decline?

As for his drug problems contributing to his demise as a player, Martin retired because he refused to take a mandated drug test, and he subsequently admitted his cocaine addiction.

As for Michael Irvin, I wouldn't say he would have been thought of in the same vein as Jerry Rice. I feel Martin could have been thought of in the same vein as other elite pass rushers. But that's my opinion If you have a different opinion, so be it. But one thing to note is Michael didn't retire because of drug problems, he got injured.

ottawacowpoke likes this.
  16. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

24,371 Messages
    20,904 Likes Received
    I agree. There were a few games that Irving dominated like he was one of the elite players in history. If he could have kept his head together and at least played close to that level he would have been great.

CWR likes this.
  17. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

24,371 Messages
    20,904 Likes Received
    I don't disagree. Mrtin at least had a great career, even if not as great as it could have been. Some of the others stopped short of ever reaching their peak potential at all.

Diehardblues likes this.
  18. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

24,371 Messages
    20,904 Likes Received
    In part, but it also speaks to their priorities.

19. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

24,371 Messages
    20,904 Likes Received
    "Waste" may not be the right word, because you are right that they all got some great results. But all fell short of the careers they could have had, some well short. Martin is the only one of that group that at least had something close to the career he could have.

20. CWR

CWR Well-Known Member

18,706 Messages
    27,365 Likes Received
    100%, it's certainly not a performance enhancer, and in a sport where you can be shot up and then pop an oxy to dull the pain their take on marijuana is absurd. Ask Bret Farve...

Fastpitch Dad and nate dizzle like this.