Cowboy Joe's 2nd Mock draft with the Underclassmen declaring

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I posted an article earlier about record breaking underclassmen coming out for the NFL draft, now is the time to possibly consider trading down if some players you think are going to be there, and your board is loaded in 1st round. That's 94 underclassmen declaring, with your superior scouting department that you say you have Jerry Jones, now we will find out, maybe this will be a super draft like in 1975, when the Cowboys got the dirty dozen or in 90s when Jimmy Johnson made the super trades too and got super players to boot. Keep in mind, in 2006, the cowboys got a steal in the 3rd round, because teams didn't know him well and that player was Jason Witten.

Cowboys trade down to the Green Bay packers slot in first round, in return the Cowboys swap number 1 picks,

While adding in the Packers 3rd and 4th rounder, the 85th and 117th picks.

So, picking 21st in the first round the Dallas Cowboys take Louis Nix, DT, if Nix
Is gone the Cowboys take DT/DE DT RaShede Hageman Minnesota

Like the Chargers the offense is clearly in good hands with Chip Kelly who is helping Nick Foles look like an All-Pro. The 3-4 defense really seems to succeed when the front line has versatile and athletic guys capable of playing multiple spots. Ra’Shede Hageman is an athletic freak with size, strength and explosive potential that could help push that unit over the top.

School: Notre Dame | Conference: FBS Independents
College Experience: Junior | Hometown: Jacksonville, FL

Vitals

Height

6-2

Arm Length

-

Weight

352 lbs.

Hand Length 5.17 in the 40,, going to have knee surgery, so should fall some in the draft.

Overview

The Florida native comes from a tough background, but the 325-pounder has a bright football future if he stays dedicated to the game. Nix was highly recruited out of high school and chose Notre Dame over several in-state programs, including Florida, Florida State and Miami (Fla.).

After redshirting in 2010, he started 11 games as a first-year player at the nose guard position, anchoring the middle of the Irish's three-man front. Nix finished with 45 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and a half-sack.

After a breakthrough 2012, Nix was overweight to start the '13 season. Just as he started to round into shape, he missed two games with knee tendinitis that ultimately turned out to be a torn meniscus. When healthy, Nix displayed the unique blend of power and burst that has earned him first round buzz throughout much of his career.

He earned All-Independent first team honors from the media, and hired an agent in December to prepare for the 2014 NFL Draft despite ongoing rehab for his knee injury - which was due to require platelet-rich plasma therapy and surgery after the 2013 season, according to Irish coach Brian Kelly.

Nix has struggled with the pressure and expectations of playing for a high-profile program away from home, but he also flashes a rare skill-set for a player his size and strength.

Add the hustle, competitive drive and love of football and Nix presents an enticing prospect for NFL evaluators and he will receive attention by teams drafting in the top-10. The knee injury does create some concern, but few prospects have his combination of fluid athleticism, natural power and sheer size.

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Built like a full-grown man with a large frame and strong muscle definition throughout his body. Nimble feet with the lateral quickness to explode in any direction and chase down the action in pursuit. Carries his weight so natural for a 340+ pounder, shifting his weight well with the agile footwork to quickly change directions.

Plays hard with a feisty motor. Applies quick pressure by splitting gaps, using a quick arm-over swim move and bull-rushing his opponent deep into the pocket. Has the hand strength and initial get-off momentum to bully blockers on their heels, showing leverage and active limbs. Keeps his eyes on the ball and shows the awareness to anticipate and track plays.

WEAKNESSES: Entered the 2013 season a bit overweight and struggled to dominate early in the year following a breakout 2012 campaign. Needs to develop counter moves after he's initially stonewalled at the point of attack and didn't have many answers for the consistent double-teams he saw in South Bend. Strong, but needs to consistently use his power at the point of attack to wreak havoc and dispose of blockers.

High character kid, but needs to control his emotions on the field and play consistently focused and level-headed for all four quarters. Medical check will be important with expected postseason knee surgery.

COMPARES TO: B.J. Raji, Packers -- While he flashes terrific talent, Nix wasn't able to consistently make the type of impact that many expected in 2013. Nix is light on his feet and carries his weight tremendously for a 340+ pounder with range to make plays up and down the line of scrimmage.

In 2nd round, the Cowboys trade back up, using one of their 7th round picks, to the rams for their 2nd round pick. With that pick, the Cowboys take DE Stefon Tuitt, if Tuitt, at 6-5 ½ 298, I kinda like taking Tuitt, because Nix & Tuitt played with each other and knows each other, but if Tuitt isnt there the cowboys take

DE Kony Ealy. ,4.77 in 40, at 6-5 245, kinda lightweight at DE.

In 3rd round with the Cowboys own 3rd rounder the Cowboys take Sentrel Henderson OT, with the Cowboys extra 3rd rounder in trade with Green Bay the Cowboys take Yawin Smallwood LB.

In 4th round the Cowboys take Ryan Groy OG from Wisconsin, with the Packers 4th rounder acquired in a trade, the Cowboys take Kelcy Quarles DT, now the front defense is fixed for the Cowboys. I feel that yeah, Heath took some punishment last year, but will only get better, and with our other safety J J Wilcox, our safety position will be fixed. There still is a possibility that Matt Johnson will be finally able to play and show what he can do, but only mother time can tell that.

In 5th round the Cowboys take QB Jeff Matthews or QB Zach Mettenberger

The Cowboys do luck out in the 6th round by getting an supplemental draft pick, with 3 more coming in the 7th round. The Cowboys take Jeff Janis WR Saginaw Valley State 6-3 218 4.43 This guy has speed to burn, something our offense needs, and can replace Austin.

In 7th round, with still 2 picks in 7th round due to trades, etc and 3 extra picks in supplemental picks the Cowboys load up on potential picks.

7th round Larry Webster – DE – Bloomsburg – 6’6, 240– Larry is an athletic freak of nature. Larry is a converted basketball center, who has great family genes. His father was a former NFL Standout for the Ravens. Keep any eye on this kid., this kid is very raw, will take a year to develop, some teams are even looking at him as a TE.

Kadeem EdwardsOG Tennessee State6' 4"290

7th round:
Billy TurnerOT North Dakota State6' 6"314 Steal at this round, granted I have heard that the OT
Turner maybe taken in 6th round, you just never know.

7th round:
Matt HazelWR Coastal Carolina6' 3"190 Another speed wr.

7th round: Supplemental pick
Glenn CarsonILB Penn State6' 3"235 One of those productive linebakers at Penn St.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Nice work cowboyjoe. I don't like Louis Nix because he got absolutely dominated by Alabama in the National Championship game last year, but there are some other interesting picks.

The pick I like the most is Ryan Groy, OG, Wisconsin.

tm1119

Reaction score
Do we also sign Byrd, Hardy, and Starks?

Sorry, don't mean to knock you, because you obviously put a lot of effort into that, but about 90% of it was wildly unrealistic.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This would be a pretty great draft....if it were at all possible.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
decent qb with average size, 6-2, 4.78 in 40, but tends to push passes in tight windows, which he wont be able to get away with in the NFL, because he doesn't have the cannon arm, good but not great, probably with right qb coach, can really push it maybe, not real great on the run throwing, so that's a negative, but has uncanny ability to sense pressure, work inside pocket,

Leadbelly

Reaction score
I'm with you on Jeff Janis. One of my favorite later round WRs.

Same on Billy Turner, though I think he eventually moves up into the 3rd/4th round area once folks see him against a higher level of competition. He's playing at the Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl. (assuming no medical or off-field issues)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1-21 (trade down nets 85 and 117)
Louis Nix
(alternate is RaShede Hageman)
Height 6-2 Weight 352 lbs.
5.17 in the 40, going to have knee surgery, so should fall some in the draft.
Would be by far heaviest DL that Marinelli has had. He has good quickness for his size, but does not seem like a Marinelli type.

2-2 (trade up, giving up a 7th)
DE Kony Ealy
(alternate Stephon Tuitt, 6-5 ½ 298)
4.77 in 40, at 6-5 245, kinda lightweight at DE.
I think Ealy is more like 285. A 7th won't get you from the 16th pick in the round to the 2nd pick in the round.

3 (Cowboy’s original pick)
Sentrel Henderson OT

Huge bust potential. Super sized with very good athleticism, but has had personal issues every year of college. I would wait to see if he is available in round 4 or 5.

3 (acquired in trade)
Yawin Smallwood LB.

OK.

4 (Cowboy’s original pick)
Ryan Groy OG from Wisconsin

Good.

4 (acquired in trade)
Kelcy Quarles DT

Zero possibility of him falling to this spot, IMO. Most likely a 2nd rounder.

QB Jeff Matthews or QB Zach Mettenberger

OK.

The Cowboys do luck out in the 6th round by getting an supplemental compensatory draft pick, with 3 more coming in the 7th round.

6 (compensatory)
Jeff Janis WR

Saginaw Valley State 6-3 218 4.43 This guy has speed to burn, something our offense needs, and can replace Austin.
Good find. That's a terrific size/speed combo.

Larry Webster – DE

Bloomsburg – 6’6, 240 (alternate Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State 6' 4"290)
Larry is an athletic freak of nature. Larry is a converted basketball center, who has great family genes. His father was a former NFL Standout for the Ravens. Keep any eye on this kid., this kid is very raw, will take a year to develop, some teams are even looking at him as a TE.
Good find.

7(compensatory)
Billy Turner OT

North Dakota State 6' 6"314 Steal at this round, granted I have heard that the OT Turner maybe taken in 6th round, you just never know.
Good.

7 (compensatory)
Matt Hazel WR

Coastal Carolina 6' 3"190 Another speed wr.
Good.

7 (compensatory)
Glenn Carson ILB

Penn State 6' 3"235 One of those productive linebackers at Penn St.
OK.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Louis Nix
Would be by far heaviest DL that Marinelli has had. He has good quickness for his size, but does not seem like a Marinelli type.

DE Kony Ealy
I think Ealy is more like 285. A 7th won't get you from the 16th pick in the round to the 2nd pick in the round.

Sentrel Henderson OT

Huge bust potential. Super sized with very good athleticism, but has had personal issues every year of college. I would wait to see if he is available in round 4 or 5.

3 (acquired in trade)
Yawin Smallwood LB.

OK.

Good.

4 (acquired in trade)
Kelcy Quarles DT

OK.

The Cowboys do luck out in the 6th round by getting an supplemental compensatory draft pick, with 3 more coming in the 7th round.

6 (compensatory)
Jeff Janis WR

Saginaw Valley State 6-3 218 4.43 This guy has speed to burn, something our offense needs, and can replace Austin.

Larry Webster – DE

Larry is an athletic freak of nature. Larry is a converted basketball center, who has great family genes. His father was a former NFL Standout for the Ravens. Keep any eye on this kid., this kid is very raw, will take a year to develop, some teams are even looking at him as a TE.
Good find.

7(compensatory)
Billy Turner OT

North Dakota State 6' 6"314 Steal at this round, granted I have heard that the OT Turner maybe taken in 6th round, you just never know.
Good.

7 (compensatory)
Matt Hazel WR

Good.

7 (compensatory)
Glenn Carson ILB

OK.

Walker you are so far ahead of me in your Draft Data knowledge, wow and I watched a significant amount of games this year. thanks for posting your insight as to the selections.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Walker you are so far ahead of me in your Draft Data knowledge, wow and I watched a significant amount of games this year. thanks for posting your insight as to the selections.

Thanks. I was primarily trying to format Joe's post to the point that I could get a feel for what he was proposing.

I studied guys like Henderson and Nix last year because I thought they might enter the draft. As a draftnik, there is a strong draw towards a physical freak like Seantrel Henderson. Years ago I would have freaked out over a guy with his size and athleticism, but I've come to realize that more draft picks fail due to poor mental-makeup than lack of physical ability. Especially in the top 4 rounds. If his something clicks in his brain, he could be one of the best ever. Unfortunately, there's a higher probability that he'll screw up and be cut.

Spending time analyzing players has drastically lowered my frustrations when the Cowboys lose. A season like 2013 was really good in terms of getting to see and evaluate young players. Win or lose, I was anxious to review the game footage to see how individual players performed.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I am not primarily focused in on Seantrel Henderson, he is alittle stiff, I don't want to reveal my picks until at least april, just wetting some of your appetites. I am like Jason Garrett in that I want guys that play for the team, give it their all, and love the game. No more just guys on potential. You have to research, and like cowboys scouts, and xwalker, look at guys way back in their sophomore years, and junior years, even some of their high school stuff. For example you all remember way back, when ware and lights out came out for the draft, a ton of fans wanted lights out, but what did parcells do, he went and talked to lights out high school coach, he told parcells some things that changed the cowboys mind and they went with ware.

A guys character, if he uses drugs, got into trouble etc is well worth investigating, we don't need any knuckleheads on the cowboys teams. Granted players that have an attitude like Charles haley did, but they play the game, give it their all, and wont accept losing.

Henderson doesn't do that to an extent.

Also, I wait on a buddy of mine that gives us his excel board of players that the cowboys have talked to and interviewed, that board is always a very good sign of what type of players, offensively or defensively that the cowboys are interested in.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Louis Nix
I threw Nix in there, because some draft boards have us taking him. I don't want him, 2 main reasons, 1st he had knee surgery, probably will fall some (we don't need another injury plagued player like Lee or Carter or Murray, those 3 players alone had injuries in college. I believe like Parcells said, you are what you are. If your injured in college, most likely you will have injuries in the pros. Second, granted alittle heavy at DT, and like you said does he fit Marnelli system, but keep in mind, Warren Sapp wasn't little either in college at that time for defensive linemen coming out of college.
DE Kony Ealy
I still think if Ealy falls, and could be a possibility, then you can trade a 7th rounder up to get him within the 12th to 14th range in 2nd round. Most likely ealy wont fall, but some draft boards have him falling because your basically drafting ealy with just one really good year coming out of college. That high in the draft, that kind of player must have showed production for several years, not a one year wonder.

Sentrel Henderson OT

3 (acquired in trade)
Yawin Smallwood LB.

OK.

Good.

4 (acquired in trade)
Kelcy Quarles DT

I am thinking in all likelihood, 3rd rounder, but again like mentioned in previous post above, im not going to give players I say cowboys would draft till april the latest.

OK.

6 (compensatory)
Jeff Janis WR

Larry Webster – DE

Good find.

7(compensatory)
Billy Turner OT

Good.

7 (compensatory)
Matt Hazel WR

Good.

7 (compensatory)
Glenn Carson ILB

OK.

Kristen82

Reaction score
Cowboys trade down to the Green Bay packers slot in first round, in return the Cowboys swap number 1 picks,

Why would GB give up a 3rd and a 4th just to move up 5 spots?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
that maybe a team desperate to get a top defender, generally that happens around the 15th to 24th pick, a few teams will trade up, but this year, with all underclassmen declaring, some teams may try to trade down to pick up extra picks

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I posted an article earlier about record breaking underclassmen coming out for the NFL draft, now is the time to possibly consider trading down if some players you think are going to be there, and your board is loaded in 1st round. That's 94 underclassmen declaring, with your superior scouting department that you say you have Jerry Jones, now we will find out, maybe this will be a super draft like in 1975, when the Cowboys got the dirty dozen or in 90s when Jimmy Johnson made the super trades too and got super players to boot. Keep in mind, in 2006, the cowboys got a steal in the 3rd round, because teams didn't know him well and that player was Jason Witten.

So, picking 21st in the first round the Dallas Cowboys take Louis Nix, DT, if Nix
Is gone the Cowboys take DT/DE DT RaShede Hageman Minnesota

Like the Chargers the offense is clearly in good hands with Chip Kelly who is helping Nick Foles look like an All-Pro. The 3-4 defense really seems to succeed when the front line has versatile and athletic guys capable of playing multiple spots. Ra’Shede Hageman is an athletic freak with size, strength and explosive potential that could help push that unit over the top.

School: Notre Dame | Conference: FBS Independents
College Experience: Junior | Hometown: Jacksonville, FL

Vitals

Height

6-2

Arm Length

-

Weight

352 lbs.

Hand Length 5.17 in the 40,, going to have knee surgery, so should fall some in the draft.

Overview

The Florida native comes from a tough background, but the 325-pounder has a bright football future if he stays dedicated to the game. Nix was highly recruited out of high school and chose Notre Dame over several in-state programs, including Florida, Florida State and Miami (Fla.).

After redshirting in 2010, he started 11 games as a first-year player at the nose guard position, anchoring the middle of the Irish's three-man front. Nix finished with 45 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and a half-sack.

After a breakthrough 2012, Nix was overweight to start the '13 season. Just as he started to round into shape, he missed two games with knee tendinitis that ultimately turned out to be a torn meniscus. When healthy, Nix displayed the unique blend of power and burst that has earned him first round buzz throughout much of his career.

He earned All-Independent first team honors from the media, and hired an agent in December to prepare for the 2014 NFL Draft despite ongoing rehab for his knee injury - which was due to require platelet-rich plasma therapy and surgery after the 2013 season, according to Irish coach Brian Kelly.

Nix has struggled with the pressure and expectations of playing for a high-profile program away from home, but he also flashes a rare skill-set for a player his size and strength.

Add the hustle, competitive drive and love of football and Nix presents an enticing prospect for NFL evaluators and he will receive attention by teams drafting in the top-10. The knee injury does create some concern, but few prospects have his combination of fluid athleticism, natural power and sheer size.

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Built like a full-grown man with a large frame and strong muscle definition throughout his body. Nimble feet with the lateral quickness to explode in any direction and chase down the action in pursuit. Carries his weight so natural for a 340+ pounder, shifting his weight well with the agile footwork to quickly change directions.

Plays hard with a feisty motor. Applies quick pressure by splitting gaps, using a quick arm-over swim move and bull-rushing his opponent deep into the pocket. Has the hand strength and initial get-off momentum to bully blockers on their heels, showing leverage and active limbs. Keeps his eyes on the ball and shows the awareness to anticipate and track plays.

WEAKNESSES: Entered the 2013 season a bit overweight and struggled to dominate early in the year following a breakout 2012 campaign. Needs to develop counter moves after he's initially stonewalled at the point of attack and didn't have many answers for the consistent double-teams he saw in South Bend. Strong, but needs to consistently use his power at the point of attack to wreak havoc and dispose of blockers.

High character kid, but needs to control his emotions on the field and play consistently focused and level-headed for all four quarters. Medical check will be important with expected postseason knee surgery.

COMPARES TO: B.J. Raji, Packers -- While he flashes terrific talent, Nix wasn't able to consistently make the type of impact that many expected in 2013. Nix is light on his feet and carries his weight tremendously for a 340+ pounder with range to make plays up and down the line of scrimmage.

In 2nd round, the Cowboys trade back up, using one of their 7th round picks, to the rams for their 2nd round pick. With that pick, the Cowboys take DE Stefon Tuitt, if Tuitt, at 6-5 ½ 298, I kinda like taking Tuitt, because Nix & Tuitt played with each other and knows each other, but if Tuitt isnt there the cowboys take

DE Kony Ealy. ,4.77 in 40, at 6-5 245, kinda lightweight at DE.

In 3rd round with the Cowboys own 3rd rounder the Cowboys take Sentrel Henderson OT, with the Cowboys extra 3rd rounder in trade with Green Bay the Cowboys take Yawin Smallwood LB.

In 4th round the Cowboys take Ryan Groy OG from Wisconsin, with the Packers 4th rounder acquired in a trade, the Cowboys take Kelcy Quarles DT, now the front defense is fixed for the Cowboys. I feel that yeah, Heath took some punishment last year, but will only get better, and with our other safety J J Wilcox, our safety position will be fixed. There still is a possibility that Matt Johnson will be finally able to play and show what he can do, but only mother time can tell that.

In 5th round the Cowboys take QB Jeff Matthews or QB Zach Mettenberger

The Cowboys do luck out in the 6th round by getting an supplemental draft pick, with 3 more coming in the 7th round. The Cowboys take Jeff Janis WR Saginaw Valley State 6-3 218 4.43 This guy has speed to burn, something our offense needs, and can replace Austin.

In 7th round, with still 2 picks in 7th round due to trades, etc and 3 extra picks in supplemental picks the Cowboys load up on potential picks.

7th round Larry Webster – DE – Bloomsburg – 6’6, 240– Larry is an athletic freak of nature. Larry is a converted basketball center, who has great family genes. His father was a former NFL Standout for the Ravens. Keep any eye on this kid., this kid is very raw, will take a year to develop, some teams are even looking at him as a TE.

Kadeem EdwardsOG Tennessee State6' 4"290

7th round:
Billy TurnerOT North Dakota State6' 6"314 Steal at this round, granted I have heard that the OT
Turner maybe taken in 6th round, you just never know.

7th round:
Matt HazelWR Coastal Carolina6' 3"190 Another speed wr.

7th round: Supplemental pick
Glenn CarsonILB Penn State6' 3"235 One of those productive linebakers at Penn St.

As always- you are a pleasure to read, CJ.
Thank you.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Why would GB give up a 3rd and a 4th just to move up 5 spots?

Why would a good looking guy ask out a girl leagues under him?
Vice versa applies, but the thought process is usually different.

There are always underlying reasons...

I'll keep that as vague as I can so not to hurt anyone's feelings.