Cowboy Tweets 10/24

Reaction score
Playing for the wild card.

This season sucks. This team can not handle any success. We blew our opportunity last year being gutless.
not so fast......if we take care of our own business, including 2 games against the Eagles, the division is very much doable. I don't buy the strength of schedule angle, their remaining schedule is no cake walk

Carson

Reaction score
not so fast......if we take care of our own business, including 2 games against the Eagles, the division is very much doable. I don't buy the strength of schedule angle, they're remaining schedule is no cake walk

It’s pretty easy for them.

San Fran
Denver
@ Dallas
Chicago
@ Seattle
@ Rams
@ New York
Raiders
Dallas

I’ve got wins over SF, Denver, Chicago, New York, Raiders. That’s 11-5 ... that means we sweep them.

They could be like us like season sitting at 10-1 or 11-1 easily

I’ve got them 12-4 on the year

Reaction score

San Fran
Denver
@ Dallas
Chicago
@ Seattle
@ Rams
@ New York
Raiders
Dallas

I’ve got wins over SF, Denver, Chicago, New York, Raiders. That’s 11-5 ... that means we sweep them.

I hear you and on paper, yes, but any given Sunday.

Cowboys remaining:
@ Wash
KC
@ Atlanta
Phily
LAC
Wash
@ NYG
@ Oak
SEA
@ Phily

We could make a run and like last season, the Eagles stumble. New Years Eve could make for an interesting day!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This season sucks. This team can not handle any success. We blew our opportunity last year being gutless.
I've been saying for a while that Garrett runs the team using statistical probabilities. While in theory, that's a good strategy, you don't win in sports using that mindset. At best, it keeps you just ahead of most teams, and at worst you fall just behind most teams.

If you notice with Garrett, he gets more aggressive against teams they should beat and more conservative against tougher teams. Great teams (aka: teams that win the big games) do so because they play to win the game.

The strategy of playing not to lose while hoping the other team makes more mistakes than you has time and time again not worked for the Cowboys. At some point, you have to say let's go for it (and I don't mean 4th downs). You have to start changing things up. Offense is struggling? Throw the ball deep and DOWN the middle of the field, not just those highly-safe-deep-sideline throws that other teams expect. Defense is struggling? Blitz a little more but not every play .. and don't use the same type of blitz all game.

Most importantly, change it up. The 49ers are not a great team, but they played a lot of good teams to close games. The Cowboys changed things up with them and they were not prepared at all. Their own quarterback even said they did a lot of things they had not seen. They need to stop limiting creativity to easier games.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

San Fran
Denver
@ Dallas
Chicago
@ Seattle
@ Rams
@ New York
Raiders
Dallas

That's assuming they have no injuries and everyone keeps playing like the have. Look at the Cowboys. If they had Sean Lee they might have won one or two of the games they lost. You just never know how games will turn out because you never know what players you will have available, what players the other team will have available and what mistakes the teams will make in the game. This season has already seen some unexpected losses by teams that should have won.

The key for any team is to focus on remaining in control of their destiny.

Right now, if the Cowboys win out, they win the division no matter what else the Eagles do. I am not saying the Cowboys will win every game. I am saying that as of now, the Cowboys are in complete control over their playoff destiny.

zack

Reaction score

San Fran
Denver
@ Dallas
Chicago
@ Seattle
@ Rams
@ New York
Raiders
Dallas

If anything, having the best record hasn't done anything for Dallas in the playoffs. Let's hope Dallas gets in the playoffs. I don't care if they are 9-7 as long as they get hot and maybe win a couple of playoff games.

Plankton

Reaction score
I've been saying for a while that Garrett runs the team using statistical probabilities. While in theory, that's a good strategy, you don't win in sports using that mindset. At best, it keeps you just ahead of most teams, and at worst you fall just behind most teams.

If you notice with Garrett, he gets more aggressive against teams they should beat and more conservative against tougher teams. Great teams (aka: teams that win the big games) do so because they play to win the game.

The strategy of playing not to lose while hoping the other team makes more mistakes than you has time and time again not worked for the Cowboys. At some point, you have to say let's go for it (and I don't mean 4th downs). You have to start changing things up. Offense is struggling? Throw the ball deep and DOWN the middle of the field, not just those highly-safe-deep-sideline throws that other teams expect. Defense is struggling? Blitz a little more but not every play .. and don't use the same type of blitz all game.

Most importantly, change it up. The 49ers are not a great team, but they played a lot of good teams to close games. The Cowboys changed things up with them and they were not prepared at all. Their own quarterback even said they did a lot of things they had not seen. They need to stop limiting creativity to easier games.

Good post.

This is where Jimmy Johnson excelled. He would roll the dice more against equal or superior opponents. Look at what he did against the 11-0 Commanders in 1991, and what he did in ordering Turner to throw to win the game against the 49ers in the 1992 NFC Championship Game. Onside kicks, Hail Mary passes, going for it on 4th down. Johnson did it as much to alter the psychology of the teams involved - show his team that he believes in both sides of the ball to execute, and to show the opposition that he will pull out all the stops to win.

mardwin

Reaction score

We lost two home games we should have won, all because we believe Ron Marinelli is going to turn this defense in to the next Bucs/Bears super bowl teams.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post.

This is where Jimmy Johnson excelled. He would roll the dice more against equal or superior opponents. Look at what he did against the 11-0 Commanders in 1991, and what he did in ordering Turner to throw to win the game against the 49ers in the 1992 NFC Championship Game. Onside kicks, Hail Mary passes, going for it on 4th down. Johnson did it as much to alter the psychology of the teams involved - show his team that he believes in both sides of the ball to execute, and to show the opposition that he will pull out all the stops to win.
Very true! When you change things up often enough, it gets the other team's players on their heels and if you have some success doing it, you get the other team's coaches on their heels as well.

The great coaches play to their strengths, but know when to take chances. They know how to prepare the players and they know the perfect moments to take chances. Some coaches get lucky with their timing and it goes to their head. Some coaches get unlucky and become too scared to take any more chances. No coach will be perfect, but the key is to pick the right moments so if it doesn't work, you haven't flipped the momentum.

What I have seen from Garrett is that if he takes a chance on something early in the game and it works, he's quite likely to take a chance at least 1-2 more times during the game. However, if he takes a chance and it backfires, he's retreats back to his usual conservative plays for the rest of the game until the end when there is little to lose.

Reaction score
Very true! When you change things up often enough, it gets the other team's players on their heels and if you have some success doing it, you get the other team's coaches on their heels as well.

The great coaches play to their strengths, but know when to take chances. They know how to prepare the players and they know the perfect moments to take chances. Some coaches get lucky with their timing and it goes to their head. Some coaches get unlucky and become too scared to take any more chances. No coach will be perfect, but the key is to pick the right moments so if it doesn't work, you haven't flipped the momentum.

What I have seen from Garrett is that if he takes a chance on something early in the game and it works, he's quite likely to take a chance at least 1-2 more times during the game. However, if he takes a chance and it backfires, he's retreats back to his usual conservative plays for the rest of the game until the end when there is little to lose.
I'd like to see the offense go no huddle a couple of times a game.

Give defenses something to think about.

Ground and pound is great. But it can become too predictable. Need to change it up at times. Not just when we are behind trying to catch up.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post.

I don't know, that 35 yard pass on 4th and 2 in GB was a pretty aggressive decision against a good team where they somehow thought they had indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Sometimes you just don't get the break. It only takes one or two tough breaks to end a season when the margins between teams is that slim.

Sydla

Reaction score
This coming Skins game is about as must a must win game as you'll find on the schedule.

You lose in Washington, you are staring at trying to right the ship and get back to .500 playing the Chiefs. Then have @Atlanta after that.

And FWIW, the Cowboys opened as a 2.5 point road favorite. That's a Cowboys line.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
One of the first times he didn't fold under a block from an oncoming OLineman. Good sign!

I think limiting his snaps might help a lot

There was a lot he was asked to do as a rookie in the defense. He's going to look a lot better without having to be the brains of the defense.