Cowboy Wire: 8 potential Dak replacements

Creeper

Reaction score
If we want a QB who will take us further than Dak, why take any of these QBs?

And by the way, if you recall when Lawrence was in college everyone was drooling over the possibility of drafting him. It just shows drafting a QB is never a sure thing. I expect the same will happen with the #1 pick from this year's draft too.

Carnes

Reaction score
Can we.please stop all these posts about Dak gees yall make it impossible to come on here and read anything positive about our team

erod

Reaction score
If Dak isn’t around after this season the guys from this list I would want is Trey, Fields.
Trey: he’s in the building as if this year and knows the offense. Good bridge QB with upside.
Fields: good bridge with upside and young.

I wouldn’t want Lawrence, Cousins, Wilson or Carr. All of them fall into the same category: veterans that haven’t done much and would be expensive. Well Wilson has won Super Bowls but he’s far removed from those days. The only way I would want one of these guys is if they took 25 million or so. But signing one of these guys to a 50 million APY would be a waste. Might as well keep Dak then.

Lance and Fields could be had for much cheaper and could blossom. All the other guys have peaked. JMO
Fields came out the same year as Lawrence. And Fields is horrible, a train wreck.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Good article by K.D. ........ our 2025 starting QB could very well be on this list.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...them&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

8 potential Prescott replacements and the Penix perpendicularity​

K.D. Drummond
follow
May 8, 2024 7:19 am CT

While it comes across to some that the Dallas Cowboys front office no longer has a plan, rest assured they do. Whether it’s a good plan or not is definitely up for debate. The Cowboys have chosen to not yet open up their wallets for franchise quarterback Dak Prescott, and as such he appears ready to enter his ninth year in the league on the final year of his contract.
There’s still time to make a deal, but it would be foolish to think the front office is not building contingency plans if he should walk in free agency following the season. Part of those plans involve potentially drafting a QB next year, but it also must include considering veteran QBs who could be available next offseason. Much of the focus of Cowboys Nation has been on where Prescott could land next year, but Dallas will have various levels of replacement options to pursue.
Here we’ll look at each, and whether or not they would be considered a bridge to someone else as the team rebuilds, or a franchise quarterback candidate. None of these players are as good as Prescott, but that’s why they’d be cheaper alternatives for the club

QB Trey Lance​

It’s assumed Lance will move up to QB2 for the Cowboys this year, getting the majority of the reps not given to Prescott, instead of Cooper Rush. The third-overall pick from the 2021 draft was acquired last offseason for a fourth-round pick, and the team bragged about how he’s the QB they drafted. The problem is he had little collegiate experience, little pro experience and is now on the final year of his contract.

Even if he balls out in the three preseason games that Prescott likely won’t play in, his worth will likely be evaluated by the Cowboys removing Prescott from any blowout victories early enough to give Lance a couple series throughout the season.

Ceiling: Franchise, but most likely bridge

Jaguars QB Trevor LawrenceCow​

Many expected Lawrence to take the leap into the elite club in 2023 but that never materialized. The third-year starter couldn’t lead Jacksonville to double-digit wins and regressed from his top-10 MVP campaign of 2022. The Jaguars placed the fifth-year option on him, so he’d have to be put ont the trade market in order for the Cowboys to acquire his services, but if the former No. 1 selection doesn’t turn the corner, he could be available for trade if Jacksonville goes another direction in the draft next year, or he could come free in 2026 if Dallas lands a bridge QB if Prescott leaves town.

Ceiling: Franchise

Nothing exciting in that group.

Carnes

Reaction score
What's positive about this team?
According to this site nothing is positive. The only things that are posted are from couch coaches and talen evaluators yet non of them are actually working as coaches or talent evaluators.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I love the title of this thread! Lawrence is the only name on that list that makes sense, and the Jaguars aren't letting him go. Most of the other names are a lateral move at best, and some worse than what Dallas has now.

Gambit

Reaction score
What's positive about this team?
There is actually a lot of positives if one looks.

But there seems to be some unwritten rule that fanhood must include negativity about everything if a team doesn't win the Superbowl.

Not just here, but it's the same all around the fan boards.

plasticman

Reaction score
Thank you.

I admit, there have been times when I contemplated Dak being replaced. I questioned his positioning among the ranks of NFL quarterbacks.

This article absolutely restores my faith in Dak.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Thank you.

I admit, there have been times when I contemplated Dak being replaced. I questioned his positioning among the ranks of NFL quarterbacks.

This article absolutely restores my faith in Dak.
I have no problem replacing Dak. However, you actually have to have a legitimate plan to do so and GM Jethro has no clue at this point.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I love the title of this thread! Lawrence is the only name on that list that makes sense, and the Jaguars aren't letting him go. Most of the other names are a lateral move at best, and some worse than what Dallas has now.
This is true but I think the question is can you get similar results with any of these players for approximately 1/2 (or less) of what Dak is asking?

Chasing6

Reaction score
I believe the Cowboys are intentionally not extending Dak now, so it does not free up cap space to extend CD and Parsons.

They want both to play on their cheaper 5th year option and maybe even on their cheaper franchise tags after that.

They are just using Dak as a convenient excuse.

plymkr

Reaction score
3 new offenses for him in 5 years. Not a good idea for an extremely inexperienced QB.
Right. Sometimes I wonder if McCarthy sold this as a selling point to keep him as HC to Jerry. I can’t figure out why Jerry kept McCarthy after that embarrassing performance and I wonder if Big Mike told him he can develop Lance with another year. Pure speculation on my part.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
+1
This is exactly the question every Cowboy fan looking for Dak replacement has to ask themselves. Is there any player on the list who will give you a minimum 13 regular season wins and 1 playoff win, for less money?
oh, Lawrence is going to ask for max money. that's a given.