CowboyJoe's First Mock for 2010

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
This is the beginning of my first mock, some of you wanted to know who I was interested in. I still have some sleepers, won’t put them down yet. I know I have for each round some players drafted, but I will break that down after the combine in more detail who I think the Cowboys will take. but I put in bold who I think the Cowboys will draft, but make changes later after combine, visits the Cowboys bring players in to look at etc...

1. I think we take a top OT if one is around when we draft, if not a top OG like Iupati, if you look at all of the past drafts, no offensive guard was ever taken till the 22nd round or so. The Cowboys may have to trade up to get him, because the eagles were looking at him too and you all know how andy reid liked linemen. However, if the OGs and OTs are gone and someone like Earl Thomas is there, the Cowboys could take him.

Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa 6-6 312 1-2 4.96
Vladimir Ducasse OT Massachusetts 6-5 326 1-2 5.32
Earl Thomas CB Texas 5-10 195 1 4.45
Anthony Davis OT Rutgers 6-6 325 1-2 5.28
Bruce Campbell OT Maryland 6-7 310 1-2 4.97
Mike Iupati OG Idaho 6-5 325 1 5.20

2. Here the value at 2nd pick for the Cowboys is down , so we trade down possibly to the 64th range, pick up an extra 3rd in the deal and a 5th rounder. So we take
Taylor Price WR Ohio 6-0 198 2-3 4.36
Kyle Wilson CB Boise State 5-10 190 2-3 4.42
Dexter McCluster WR Mississippi 5-08 165 2-3 4.42
Mike Johnson OG Alabama 6-6 306 2-3 5.38
Toby Gerhart RB Stanford 6-1 235 2-3 4.55
Terrence Cody DT Alabama 6-4 370 2 5.72
Nate Allen FS South Florida 6-1 205 2 4.50

3. With our two 3rd rounders we take
Austen Lane DE Murray State 6-6 267 3 4.65
Rodger Saffold OT Indiana 6-5 312 3 5.23
Larry Asante SS Nebraska 6-0 211 3-4 4.56
J.D. Walton C Baylor 6-3 300 3 5.19
Mitch Petrus OG Arkansas 6-3 304 3-4 5.09
George Selvie DE South Florida 6-5 247 3-4 4.78
Ben Tate RB Auburn 5-11 214 3-4 4.50

4, With our fourth rounder we take
Jacoby Ford WR Clemson 5-09 181 4 4.37

5 With our fifth rounder obtained in a trade above we take;
Jared Veldheer OT Hillsdale 6-8 321 5 4.89
LeGarrette Blount RB Oregon 6-1 245 5 4.58
Antonio Brown WR Central Michigan 5-10 182 5-6 4.42

6. With our 6th rounder we take;
Marcus Easley WR Connecticut 6-2 216 5-6 4.40
Devin Ross CB Arizona 5-10 184 5-6 4.43
Leigh Tiffin K Alabama6-0 198 6
--

7. With our 7th rounder we take; I have a few other elite wrs that are good punt and kickoff returners, but a few of them our my pet cats. So, I wont put them down yet. I do realize how good Brandon Banks is as a returner, but not sure if some of you are aware that Brandon Banks was arrested on battery and unlawful possession.
Myron Rolle SS Florida State 6-2 217 6-7 4.59
Brandon Banks WR Kansas State 5-07 154 7-FA 4.28
Hunter Lawrence K Texas 5-11 184 4.90
Casey Knips OT 6-8 308 5.21

12/13/2009 - A man who just completed his career in a Wildcat football jersey was arrested early Sunday morning. The Riley County Police arrest report indicates 21-year-old Brandon Banks has been charged with battery and unlawful possession. His bond was set at $2,500 dollars. KMAN is awaiting word from RCPD on further details into the incident involving Banks. He was arrested at his residence at 410 North 17th Street in Manhattan around 4:00 a.m. Banks, a wide receiver and kick returner, completed his senior season for the Wildcats. The Big 12 selected him as its Special Teams Player of the Year, as he set a conference record with two kick-return touchdowns in one game. Banks was recently invited to be a participant in the postseason East-West Shrine Game in Orlando, Florida on January 23rd. - 1350KMAN/Kansas.com
12/09/2009 - EAST-WEST SHRINE INVITE: One of the top kick returners in Big 12 and NCAA history, Banks set a Big 12 record and tied the NCAA record with two kick-return touchdowns in one game this season while also tallying a nation-leading and Big 12-record four on the year. His five career kick return scores are two shy of the NCAA record and a new Big 12 record. The Garner, N.C., native also leads the Big 12 and is eighth nationally with 174.8 all-purpose yards per game, ranks third in school history with 3,828 career all-purpose yards and his current career average of 159.5 all-purpose yardage per game ranks second in school history and fifth in Big 12 history. A First Team All-Big 12 selection, Banks also led the team in receptions (56) and receiving yards (705) this past season while he also ranks seventh in K-State history with 123 career receptions and ninth in career receiving yards with 1,754. - K-State football

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
All hail king Joe.

Love it, and trading down with the 2nd round pick to add a early 3rd rounder and a late 5th is what I want to do.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A couple of things Joe.

If we take Dexter instead of Nate Allen or Kyle Wilson...I think I would be upset...especially since you have us also taking Jacoby Ford and Brandon Banks in the later rounds.

Three WRs under 6 ft (even though one or more would be return guys). Just not the cowboys way IMO. They like bigger WRs and every indication of who they have drafted, signed as undrafted rookies and FAs they have signed or traded for over the last many years have all fit a size profile pretty much. I don't just don't see us taking three WRs (returners or not) who are 5 7, 5 8 and 5 9.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Morgan Burnett isn't on your radar? interesting. Only one person you like in the fourth ?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3259889 said:
A couple of things Joe.

If we take Dexter instead of Nate Allen or Kyle Wilson...I think I would be upset...especially since you have us also taking Jacoby Ford and Brandon Banks in the later rounds.

Three WRs under 6 ft (even though one or more would be return guys). Just not the cowboys way IMO. They like bigger WRs and every indication of who they have drafted, signed as undrafted rookies and FAs they have signed or traded for over the last many years have all fit a size profile pretty much. I don't just don't see us taking three WRs (returners or not) who are 5 7, 5 8 and 5 9.

Understand what your saying BrainPaint; but I look at it this way
What was two of our critical areas last year. Kickoff returns/punt returns with an elite need for speed at WR too. We all know how Roy Williams hasnt stepped up, along with our kick returners hestiating or tip toeing on kickoff returns. Even Jerry Jones said he would like better options at punt returner too besides crayton. Now, think to 2 years ago, when jason garrett was saying that he wanted avery the speedy wr that went to the rams.

So, I went with 2 returners with one elite possible wr, why? Think about this, a few years ago we had Miles Austin returning kickoffs dont we, if jacoby ford or mccluster step up as elite number 2 wr, while they are returning punts and kickoffs, then one of them might not be able to return punts or kickoffs when he becomes elite. So, thus that is why i went with what i did. Again, just my first mock, and i want to wait to see what players the cowboys really look at the combine, and invite to dallas for tryouts etc..

I have another ellite punt and kickoff returner, one of my pet cats, but I dont want to let the cat out of the bag yet, see if you can figure out who the player is, but he is another wr, that is elite at kickoff/punt returns and will be drafted low rounds due to his small college area he went too.

Besides, one of those later KO/PR i think we will draft a kicker, and as you saw brandon banks was arrested for battery and unlawful possession, so he might not get drafted by the cowboys. Finally though think about this Brain, what real good coach do we have on our team, that is fiery coach, intense etc... Coach Joe D.. and what did joe d do, he improved our special teams immensely, and remember Brain he brought in Rossum for punt returns, (true rossum didnt stick but rossum helped Crayton get back on track, while even showing D Ware some tips too) so i see coach Joe D getting some help in punt and kickoff returns. So, out of the 3 i posted, I am thinking one of them will be drafted.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3259903 said:
Morgan Burnett isn't on your radar? interesting. Only one person you like in the fourth ?

DaBoys, if you looked at my mock draft you will notice that i had Nate Allen, Kyle Wilson in 2nd round and Asante in 3rd, only one i really like ouit of that group is allen, but barely. I am not fond of safeties 4.54 or slower, and that is what morgan burnett runs in the 40. We need to me a safety that can really fly, 4.44 or faster, that can cover alot of ground, kinda like a ed reed, or palamolu or the safety from the colts. I have a pet cat that I like, but again, i didnt put him down yet. I have 5 pet cats that I will have in my 2nd mock draft later. Then, you can see who they are, and if you know them. However, I feel that a few of them at least 2 you wont know. Hehe!

I think we need a safety that can really run, and hit too, but moreso really run like a cliff harris. That opposing teams wont want to throw when that player safety with deep speed is coering his half of the field.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I wish people would let it go, Iupati wont be there when we draft. And we wont trade up for an OL

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyjoe;3259951 said:
Understand what your saying BrainPaint; but I look at it this way
What was two of our critical areas last year. Kickoff returns/punt returns with an elite need for speed at WR too. We all know how Roy Williams hasnt stepped up, along with our kick returners hestiating or tip toeing on kickoff returns. Even Jerry Jones said he would like better options at punt returner too besides crayton. Now, think to 2 years ago, when jason garrett was saying that he wanted avery the speedy wr that went to the rams.

So, I went with 2 returners with one elite possible wr, why? Think about this, a few years ago we had Miles Austin returning kickoffs dont we, if jacoby ford or mccluster step up as elite number 2 wr, while they are returning punts and kickoffs, then one of them might not be able to return punts or kickoffs when he becomes elite. So, thus that is why i went with what i did. Again, just my first mock, and i want to wait to see what players the cowboys really look at the combine, and invite to dallas for tryouts etc..

I have another ellite punt and kickoff returner, one of my pet cats, but I dont want to let the cat out of the bag yet, see if you can figure out who the player is, but he is another wr, that is elite at kickoff/punt returns and will be drafted low rounds due to his small college area he went too.

Besides, one of those later KO/PR i think we will draft a kicker, and as you saw brandon banks was arrested for battery and unlawful possession, so he might not get drafted by the cowboys. Finally though think about this Brain, what real good coach do we have on our team, that is fiery coach, intense etc... Coach Joe D.. and what did joe d do, he improved our special teams immensely, and remember Brain he brought in Rossum for punt returns, (true rossum didnt stick but rossum helped Crayton get back on track, while even showing D Ware some tips too) so i see coach Joe D getting some help in punt and kickoff returns. So, out of the 3 i posted, I am thinking one of them will be drafted.

I just don't see three guys being draft that are all under 5 11.

You might take ONE small guy for a PR/KR duty and you might even take another WR separate from him but I doubt that other WR will be that small. And there is just no way I see them drafting Three. They might take a few chances and sign some undrafted rookies and give them a look see or put them on the practice squad but there is just no way in hades I think we will draft three WRs under 5 11 on this team.

All I am saying.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Muhast;3259967 said:
I wish people would let it go, Iupati wont be there when we draft. And we wont trade up for an OL

Just like there was no way RB S.Jackson would be when we drafted a few years ago...but he did fall there.

Anything can happen in the draft.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3260106 said:
Just like there was no way RB S.Jackson would be when we drafted a few years ago...but he did fall there.

Maybe Berry will fall!

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3259889 said:
A couple of things Joe.

I was going to point out the same thing, those would be three little WR, I dont see Dallas doing that. I but I do like the remaining picks though.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3259889 said:
A couple of things Joe.

I would be too. I'm a huge fan of Nate Allen and think that he would be a great FS for us.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Muhast;3259967 said:

Why is it so important to some of you that people don't want Iupati or assume he will be unavailable?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3260104 said:
I just don't see three guys being draft that are all under 5 11.

You might take ONE small guy for a PR/KR duty and you might even take another WR separate from him but I doubt that other WR will be that small. And there is just no way I see them drafting Three. They might take a few chances and sign some undrafted rookies and give them a look see or put them on the practice squad but there is just no way in hades I think we will draft three WRs under 5 11 on this team.

All I am saying.

My main this is that I think the cowboys if they do make a trade say down from the 2nd or 3rd round, to get some extra picks, then yes, I do see the cowboys taking 2 small players like I mentioned.

One will be a wr for deep speed threat, and the other one for special teams on punt and kickoff returns. I do agree that all 3 wont be drafted. I just put those players down because I think at least one of them or 2 of them will be drafted.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3260106 said:

Oh dont remind me.............still hurts and I really miss that lamp...........

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3260106 said:

Oh, you're right.. It -could- happen.

And at that time our great GM will try to be cute again and costs us dearly.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Joe_Fan;3260465 said:
Oh, you're right.. It -could- happen.

And at that time our great GM will try to be cute again and costs us dearly.

You need to apply for the job. I dont know what your waiting for because your brilliant and can obviously do a better job. You have proven it.

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
Im with Brain... I dont think there is anyway we draft that many returners. Theres just not enough roster spots available. I dont want this draft to turn out like last years where we had several draft picks not make the team.

I could see us gettin rid of Barber and taking Mccluster.. I would actually love it.. If we did do that we could then in turn take a Ford or Banks later in the draft...

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
dillinger319;3260719 said:
Im with Brain... I dont think there is anyway we draft that many returners. Theres just not enough roster spots available. I dont want this draft to turn out like last years where we had several draft picks not make the team.

I could see us gettin rid of Barber and taking Mccluster.. I would actually love it.. If we did do that we could then in turn take a Ford or Banks later in the draft...

disagree with you on the last years players not making the team; if you think about it, we may really hit the jackpot this year with those players that didnt really contribute last year;
Robert Brewster OG=OT
Jason Williams linebacker
Brandon Williams DE/ LB
Stephen Hodge LB
, then add in our QB Stephen McGee

along with victor butler, mike hamlin, david buehler, john phillops wiht manuel johnson on the practice squad, this could be the best draft in years, and dont forget to add in Ogletree who i think will take leaps and bounds this year too.

so we really could benefit from our draft last year and this year, but we need some impact draft picks this year

gmoney112

Reaction score
The things Garrett could do with McCluster would be substantial. I like the pick. Although instead of Jacoby Ford I could see us going secondary. Good overall draft though.