Cowboys’ Camp ‘08: Bubble Boys -Rafael Vela

reddyuta

Reaction score
Cowboys’ Camp ‘08: Bubble Boys

August 1, 2008
Rafael Vela-http://www.blueandsilverreport.com/

Here are the guys on the bubble, the ‘Boys fighting for those final spots on the roster.
Defense:
1. DE Marcus Dixon — DL coach Todd Grantham said today Dixon is the guy he’s most eager to see against San Diego, because the light appears to be going on for him. If he continues to emerge he’ll either challenge Stephen Bowen for the 6th line spot or prod Dallas to keep seven(I am pulling for this guy but looks like an uphill battle-practice squad).
2. Erik Walden — he’s hit a wall the past few days, most notably a wall named Flozell Adams. He does show quickness and a good change of direction but he’ll need to make more plays. He was running 2nd team at OLB behind Demarcus Ware but with 8 LB spots seemingly tied up (Ware, Ellis, James, Thomas, Spencer, Burnett, Carpenter and Rogers) he’ll either have to beat out Rogers or force the team to keep 9 LBs(I think we keep 9 LBs-so he makes it).
3 & 4. Evan Oglesby and Alan Ball — Dave Campo says they’re in “a real battle” for a spot and “one of them might shake out. One could make the team if the team keeps six CBs but both could be gone if the Cowboys stick with rookie Orlando Scandrick. I figure Newman, Henry, Jones, Jenkins and Scandrick have five CBs spots sewn up(this one is tough.both are well liked,ball is injured right now-hopefully he is fit for the pre-season games -may the best man win).
5. Courtney Brown — he’s working at strong safety right now. He’s a former corner, so he would give Dallas maximum coverage ability if he were to play regularly here. However, Campo claims Brown needs to learn the angles playing in the box and his tackling remains unknown(he will make it,dowayne davis could also make it if we keep 5 WRs and need a ST demon).
Offense
6. & 7. Mike Jefferson and Danny Amendola — A sixth receiver seems unlikely, as Owens, Crayton, Hurd, Austin and Stanback look to have five spots down, but Jefferson has made the most catches the first week. Amendola is a crowd favorite but needs to make more plays to have a shot(I hope they keep 6 but you never know-I am pulling for amendola).
8 & 9. Alonzo Coleman and Keon Lattimore — Both seem to make plays in scrimmages, though Coleman has made more. The bigger question is whether the team will keep four running backs? One will have to impress on special teams to make the answer a yes( auditioning for other teams-good luck).
10. Richard Bartel — He’s got a gun, but will Dallas keep a third quarterback? They let Matt Moore hit waivers last year and Carolina snatched him up(no confidence in him-PS again-hope they replace BJ too).
11. Joe Berger — can play guard and center. Was singled out by Wade Phillips today and could push Cory Procter for the last offensive line spot-(berger seems to be doing well in camp-looks like he will beat out procter).

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Amendola is probably ahead of Jefferson at this point, but that's just an educated guess.

I've read in several articles that the only reason Jefferson is making so many catches is because he's become Johnson's check down guy. When you have an old QB that is reigned in form throwing a lot of deep balls during training camp, his check down is going to get a lot of passes thrown his way. I've also heard he's dropped his fair share.

Here's the coach on Jefferson:

Mike Jefferson is catching lots of passes. I asked Ray Sherman if he’s making a push and was told that it’s partly the reads that are sending the ball his way. I

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Amendola is a crowd favorite but needs to make more plays to have a shot

Say it ain't so.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
tomson75;2170346 said:
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Amendola is probably ahead of Jefferson at this point, but that's just an educated guess.
(for what its worth)Nick Eatman said that Amendola was definitely ahead of Jefferson and the rest of the rookies.(yesterday's lunch break) And he was one of the skeptics on Amendola after rookie minicamp.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2170356 said:
(for what its worth)Nick Eatman said that Amendola was definitely ahead of Jefferson and the rest of the rookies.

That is not much of an accomplishment.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
How does Austin have anything locked up unless his hands got 10x better

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I don't think it is unreasonable to expect to see 6 WRs make the roster. We kept TO, Glenn, Crayton, Austin, Hurd, and Stanback last year.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Kangaroo;2170530 said:

Probably because he can play special teams, is showing good progress and is our best deep threat. He definitely has all the measurables in his favour.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Eskimo;2170574 said:
Probably because he can play special teams, is showing good progress and is our best deep threat. He definitely has all the measurables in his favour.

I understand he was some things going for him but locked up a spot I do not see it. I am also not saying he should be cut it is way to early for me to get to worked up over anything like that we have games and possible injuries that may also change things. I just do not see the locked up part.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Eskimo;2170574 said:

even if he can't catch, he has a serious knack for drawing fouls - what did he drop, like 2 ball last year?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
With all this talent, who goes ,who stays.........thank God for pre-season. We could use 8 weeks.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Kangaroo;2170530 said:
When the head coach says that he's battling for the 3rd WR role, how could he not have locked up a roster spot? (and according to all reports his hands are better this year, never heard how many times better)

dogberry

Reaction score
Which ones of the following can be sent to practice squad and not be lost?
Amendola
Austin
Ball
Bartel
Brown
Coleman
Davis
Dixon
Jefferson
Lattimore
Martin
Walden

Or we just bound to lose a good player?

Eddie

Reaction score
I love reading about who's going to be the 6th CB and the 8th RB and the 15th WR !!!

fortdick

Reaction score
We will lose Amendola if we try to put him on the PS. No one doubts his hands or his ability to get open, even if he is not as big or fast as Austin. Thing is, this is Austin's third year. He also is an UDFA. His hands are suspect and he is not the only return guy out there.

We need dependability in our WR's and I just don't see it coming from Austin. 5 catches in two seasons does not make him an experienced vet. He has had his chance to show he can play in this league. It is time to put up or move on. He is, for all intents, a bubble player as well.

Unless he has a heck of a preseason, Austin could be the odd man out if we only keep 5 receivers.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
dogberry;2170748 said:
Which ones of the following can be sent to practice squad and not be lost?
Amendola
Austin
Ball
Bartel
Brown
Coleman
Davis
Dixon
Jefferson
Lattimore

Martin
Walden

Or we just bound to lose a good player?
Without preseason games to base on those in bold are the most likely to make it to the practice squad imo(Walden being the most questionable). But with Parcells and company in Miami, none of our guys are sure things.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Kangaroo;2170590 said:
I understand he was some things going for him but locked up a spot I do not see it. I am also not saying he should be cut it is way to early for me to get to worked up over anything like that we have games and possible injuries that may also change things. I just do not see the locked up part.

Austin returns kicks ok, and covers them pretty well, he's the prototypical 4th/5th receiver on a team, just for that fact alone

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
fortdick;2170775 said:
We will lose Amendola if we try to put him on the PS. No one doubts his hands or his ability to get open, even if he is not as big or fast as Austin. Thing is, this is Austin's third year. He also is an UDFA. His hands are suspect and he is not the only return guy out there.

We need dependability in our WR's and I just don't see it coming from Austin. 5 catches in two seasons does not make him an experienced vet. He has had his chance to show he can play in this league. It is time to put up or move on. He is, for all intents, a bubble player as well.

Unless he has a heck of a preseason, Austin could be the odd man out if we only keep 5 receivers.

Why do you think this? Do you think the other teams have spies at camp checking out the UDFAs? Or they surf the internet reading fan forums to see what's going on?

Amendola will not make the team unless they keep 6 WRs or there is an injury to someone above him that goes IR.

If they play him too much in the preseason games and he draws attention then maybe. He's a short kid without speed. He'll have to be a Raymond Berry type WR in this league which is not an insult BTW. Maybe he can be that. If you're Dallas and faced with cutting an OL, DL, OLB, CB or S who look like solid players in the future are you going to keep a player who likely will not even suit up for a game and is short and slow even if he is quick?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;2171287 said:
Why do you think this? Do you think the other teams have spies at camp checking out the UDFAs? Or they surf the internet reading fan forums to see what's going on?

Amendola will not make the team unless they keep 6 WRs or there is an injury to someone above him that goes IR.

If they play him too much in the preseason games and he draws attention then maybe. He's a short kid without speed. He'll have to be a Raymond Berry type WR in this league which is not an insult BTW. Maybe he can be that. If you're Dallas and faced with cutting an OL, DL, OLB, CB or S who look like solid players in the future are you going to keep a player who likely will not even suit up for a game and is short and slow even if he is quick?

I'm sure teams send out people to check out promising bubble players, that, or a team could have wanted to sign Amendola as a FA, but he refused then, and would get their shot if he gets released by us

remember how Parcells was told by teams that they would have snatched up Austin, Hurd and McQ if he cut them?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Austin makes this roster - period.

We will NOT go 6 wide receivers with Pacman on team. We have TEAM depth at DB, Oline, Dline, LB.

WR after 5 may be one of our weaker positions talent wise and don't be suprised if we pick up a WR later in camp......