Cowboys’ Camp ‘08: Bubble Boys -Rafael Vela

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;2170346 said:
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Amendola is probably ahead of Jefferson at this point, but that's just an educated guess.

I've read in several articles that the only reason Jefferson is making so many catches is because he's become Johnson's check down guy. When you have an old QB that is reigned in form throwing a lot of deep balls during training camp, his check down is going to get a lot of passes thrown his way. I've also heard he's dropped his fair share.

Here's the coach on Jefferson:

Mike Jefferson is catching lots of passes. I asked Ray Sherman if he’s making a push and was told that it’s partly the reads that are sending the ball his way. I

Jefferson was working with the 2nd team WR's

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Nors;2171294 said:
Austin makes this roster - period.

We will NOT go 6 wide receivers with Pacman on team. We have TEAM depth at DB, Oline, Dline, LB.

WR after 5 may be one of our weaker positions talent wise and don't be suprised if we pick up a WR later in camp......

IDK about Austin if he can keep his roster spot. He has made it though on ST play but with Jones he prob not gonna be returning kicks any more. Out of all of WR Austin could be the 1 one of the people who return that get cut.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2171270 said:
Austin returns kicks ok, and covers them pretty well, he's the prototypical 4th/5th receiver on a team, just for that fact alone

I agree.

I think that's what a lot of folks don't understand. Sure, you want your fifth WR to be a good WR. But their main contributions will be on special teams.

Austin makes it based on three factors:
1. He's a good special teams player. He contributes. I like Amendola...he's a classic underdog. Great story. But he'll have to do something on special teams. Right now, I don't see him returning kicks (Austin, Stanback, FJ) or punts (AJ or Crayton). I don't know if he has the size to make it as a gunner....but we'll have to wait and see.

2. He has talent/athletic ability. No...I'm not a guy that falls in love with forty times...a WR must be able to make plays. Austin has shown flashes in previous camps. He showed flashes last year. He's a guy that if the light comes on...he'll be a heckuva player. You don't give up on that in two years.

3. He's in his third year. So, he'll still be very cheap to keep around. He's not hurting us cap-wise. This is the make or break year for Austin. He needs to make big strides this year. So far, it sounds like he's doing well. Preseason games will go a long way in this.

All things considered, we've come a long way. I can remember having WRs that none of the other teams would even sniff. Now, I think we'll have several of our cast-offs picked up by other teams.

Right now, this is how I see it:
TO (one of the best ever)
Crayton (solid number two)
Hurd (I think he can overtake Craytong soon)
Austin (I don't know why folks hate this guy)
Stanback (we all knew he was a project....sounds like we're putting in plays just for him...I can also see him as our emergency QB).
Amendola (he'll have to make some big plays in the PS games for us to keep him)

Angus

Reaction score
jobberone;2171287 said:
Why do you think this? Do you think the other teams have spies at camp checking out the UDFAs? Or they surf the internet reading fan forums to see what's going on?

Amendola will not make the team unless they keep 6 WRs or there is an injury to someone above him that goes IR.

If they play him too much in the preseason games and he draws attention then maybe. He's a short kid without speed. He'll have to be a Raymond Berry type WR in this league which is not an insult BTW. Maybe he can be that. If you're Dallas and faced with cutting an OL, DL, OLB, CB or S who look like solid players in the future are you going to keep a player who likely will not even suit up for a game and is short and slow even if he is quick?[/quote]

Yes, if he will help the team more.

:starspin

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It's not out of the question for Amendola to make it but I think all the factors discussed makes him a long shot. I just don't see us cutting someone like Davis or Brown to keep a 6th WR who can probably get past waivers to the PS and is not going to beat others out for STs. He's a slot WR. I'd love it for him to make the team. I just see a big uphill battle for him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2171290 said:
I'm sure teams send out people to check out promising bubble players, that, or a team could have wanted to sign Amendola as a FA, but he refused then, and would get their shot if he gets released by us

remember how Parcells was told by teams that they would have snatched up Austin, Hurd and McQ if he cut them?

Austin has size and speed. Hurd has size. McQ has a brother in the league and is an OT. That's apples and oranges to a slot WR. Guys there are plenty of guys out there who are small and quick WRs who can catch the ball. I'm all for Amendola to make the squad if he can contribute. Maybe he can be a gunner. Sorry LOL here. He's too small IMO. Where is he going to play STs?

And I'd be very surprised if people come to practice to spy on our UDFAs but if you want to think so who am I to say they don't.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2171302 said:
Jefferson was working with the 2nd team WR's

Good for him. I'm still putting my money on Amendola. Care to make a wager which one goes further?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
jobberone;2171485 said:
It's not out of the question for Amendola to make it but I think all the factors discussed makes him a long shot. I just don't see us cutting someone like Davis or Brown to keep a 6th WR who can probably get past waivers to the PS and is not going to beat others out for STs. He's a slot WR. I'd love it for him to make the team. I just see a big uphill battle for him.

Everyone that has seen him play disagrees with you. I think Brown stays if he can make tackles during the preseason. I like what I've heard about Davis too, but are we really going to keep five safeties? I highly doubt that...not when we only have two proven wideouts.

I also think its far more likely that a guy like Davis slips through wavers over a guy like Amendola. FAR more likely.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
s
tomson75;2171517 said:
Everyone that has seen him play disagrees with you. I think Brown stays if he can make tackles during the preseason. I like what I've heard about Davis too, but are we really going to keep five safeties? I highly doubt that...not when we only have two proven wideouts.

I also think its far more likely that a guy like Davis slips through wavers over a guy like Amendola. FAR more likely.

Well, not everyone disagrees with me. I would say that other than some board members here, everyone thinks UDFAs have a big uphill battle. Just because Amendola has become the board darling doesn't mean its bound in reality outside this board. How arrogant to put it nicely.

I don't see us keeping five safeties anymore than 6 WRs. In fact we're much more likely to keep another DB than another WR. Especially one who is an even bigger longshot to be able to contribute on STs. Could he play STs. Sure. But what makes you think a small and relatively slow WR is going to beat out someone a good bit bigger and faster to be a gunner. What other position is he going to play. PR??? No. KR??? No. What then. And do you think he's going to be on the 45 roster. No.

He's going to take up space. Take a roster spot from someone else who might be able to at least play STs.

And if you actually think Amendola is going to be highly sought after if he goes to the PS (I do think that's a probability he'll go to the PS) then you're just way too enamored by all this hooplah over an UDFA.

Who is more likely to be sought after: a small and slow WR that was undrafted and had few clubs interested or a fairly big and fast hard hitting S who was undrafted?

The answer is neither. Both are a dime a dozen.

Now, if you ask me can Amendola or Davis make the team. Sure. Both have shown enough to be recognized and both have had Wade and others say they have a shot. It will come down to numbers. If we could keep a 100 players I'd say both would make it. Even 75. Each will make the team most likely because of injury if they do. If not that or something like a suspension or trade or quit, then it will be a numbers game.

Not for or against anyone. I trust Wade and all will pick the right players.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
6. & 7. Mike Jefferson and Danny Amendola — A sixth receiver seems unlikely, as Owens, Crayton, Hurd, Austin and Stanback look to have five spots down, but Jefferson has made the most catches the first week. Amendola is a crowd favorite but needs to make more plays to have a shot(I hope they keep 6 but you never know-I am pulling for amendola).

I guess I am missing something here. I don't see how a 6th receiver seems unlikely when the team carried 6 all of last season.

In fact, I think a 6th receiver is pretty much a given for a team that is looking for someone to step up.

How many teams actually go with less than 6 receivers? I'm sure Adam knows but I don't think its very many at all.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
jobberone;2171698 said:
s

Well, not everyone disagrees with me. I would say that other than some board members here, everyone thinks UDFAs have a big uphill battle. Just because Amendola has become the board darling doesn't mean its bound in reality outside this board. How arrogant to put it nicely.

I realize he's got an uphill battle, all UFDA's do. Damn near every coach, reporter, and blogger has mentioned his play in a positive tone. Most of them have said they beleive he has a real shot at making the roster....and if you'll notice, I said 'everyone that's seen his play'...meaning those that have been to the mini-camps and such. That doesn't mean anyone thinks he's already made the team, but rather that he's doing what he should be to put himself in position to make the roster. I'm taking the word of those that know better than either of us do.

His popularity extends well beyond this forum. That is the reality. You're dead wrong there.

I don't see us keeping five safeties anymore than 6 WRs. In fact we're much more likely to keep another DB than another WR. Especially one who is an even bigger longshot to be able to contribute on STs. Could he play STs. Sure. But what makes you think a small and relatively slow WR is going to beat out someone a good bit bigger and faster to be a gunner. What other position is he going to play. PR??? No. KR??? No. What then. And do you think he's going to be on the 45 roster. No.

Ahhh....yes, that makes sense. 'We're much more likely to keep another DB than another WR'. Gotcha. Let's keep another safety or corner that no one has heard of that we could easily stash on the practice squad over the WR whom would be gone in 30 minutes...at least that's the popular notion, and I tend to agree with it. That makes sense.

...and if you haven't noticed, he's bee doing punt and kick returns, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him on kickoff returns.

I never said he'd be on the '45 roster'. Will Dowayne Davis? No.

He's going to take up space. Take a roster spot from someone else who might be able to at least play STs.

And if you actually think Amendola is going to be highly sought after if he goes to the PS (I do think that's a probability he'll go to the PS) then you're just way too enamored by all this hooplah over an UDFA.

Who is more likely to be sought after: a small and slow WR that was undrafted and had few clubs interested or a fairly big and fast hard hitting S who was undrafted?

The answer is neither. Both are a dime a dozen.

Now, if you ask me can Amendola or Davis make the team. Sure. Both have shown enough to be recognized and both have had Wade and others say they have a shot. It will come down to numbers. If we could keep a 100 players I'd say both would make it. Even 75. Each will make the team most likely because of injury if they do. If not that or something like a suspension or trade or quit, then it will be a numbers game.

You call me arrogant and then write this? Giving me 'answers'? You value your 'answers' more than anyone else does, I'd wager.

Your opinions are noted, and while not without merit, I disagree.

Not for or against anyone. I trust Wade and all will pick the right players.

Well I'm FOR everyone on this team. I trust we'll get most of the right guys too, but unfortunately I think we're going to lose a few good ones as well.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
dogberry;2170748 said:
Which ones of the following can be sent to practice squad and not be lost?
Amendola
Austin
Ball
Bartel
Brown
Coleman
Davis
Dixon
Jefferson
Lattimore
Martin
Walden
Bartel,Davis/Dixon/Jefferson/Martin could probably be moved to the practice squad.