CFZ Cowboys’ Thanksgiving Day History

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
oh that 1993 game.
I was working in South Florida at the time. With many fair weather Dolphins fans.
They were pushing for a playoff spot, I think 1st in their division or maybe just behind Buffalo.

I came home from work. My parents drove down from Ohio. I went straight to bed when I got home that Wednesday. I had some flu bug that hit me within the last few hours of work. I said hi to my parents, told my wife I didn’t feel well, and went to bed and slept for 3 hours. Got up talked to my parents some and went back to bed.
Was up and down until game time So couldn’t really eat on T-Day, just a little bit, then Leon Lett happened.

I actually felt better later that night and was able to eat leftovers. Then Friday evening felt great.

So come Monday, at work. No one said a thing, except a …thank you for the win…they knew they got a gift.
Except one arrogant Dolphins fan gave me crap all day long.
I told him nicely and calmly hey enjoy the win, it will be your last win. We will be fine, we will win out.

sure enough, the Dolphins lost the rest of their games and missed the playoffs. Well we all know what Dallas did.

Actually Jimmy told the team in the locker after that loss. ….you know what needs to be done to get to where you want to go..basically telling them, win out to get HFA. And they did.

Oh I remember that game. I usually take the day off but back then I didn't. I recorded the game and was watching. When we blocked the FG I was jumping up and down. My parents then got home and my mom said, just watch. I was so angry.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I remember that game. I usually take the day off but back then I didn't. I recorded the game and was watching. When we blocked the FG I was jumping up and down. My parents then got home and my mom said, just watch. I was so angry.
In millions of homes across America could be heard the screams of “No Leon, No!”

DripTooHard

Reaction score
It’s perplexing as to why the Cowboys have struggled on Thanksgiving since moving to the new stadium. Their overall record at AT&T hasn’t been that impressive. Last season we were 7-3 heading into Thanksgiving. I’m just hoping the momentum we gained from last Sundays impressive win over Minnesota carries over to Thursday. If it doesn’t and they come in flat resulting in a loss, a majority of the fanbase is going to give up on this season. The Cowboys are either committed to being a championship team or they’re not. We’ve reached the point in the season where you have to start playing your best football. You can’t just flip a switch on and off and expect to be a great team.

Not that it is an absolute reason, but I was never a fan of having back to back Thursday games starting on Thanksgiving. This was a gimmick that the NFL didn’t put in place this year. I believe it was in place for the past 10 years. Cowboys get 10 days of rest after Thanksgiving this year, which hasn’t happened in a long time.

This doesn’t necessarily explain the Thanksgiving day stinkers, but there has to be a mental aspect of knowing that you don’t get 10 days of rest until one week after Thanksgiving.Hopefully the change this year has a positive impact.

Flamma

Reaction score
In millions of homes across America could be heard the screams of “No Leon, No!”

That made the Dolphins 9-2. I don't think they won another game all year and missed the playoffs.

Flamma

Reaction score
It’s perplexing as to why the Cowboys have struggled on Thanksgiving since moving to the new stadium. Their overall record at AT&T hasn’t been that impressive. Last season we were 7-3 heading into Thanksgiving. I’m just hoping the momentum we gained from last Sundays impressive win over Minnesota carries over to Thursday. If it doesn’t and they come in flat resulting in a loss, a majority of the fanbase is going to give up on this season. The Cowboys are either committed to being a championship team or they’re not. We’ve reached the point in the season where you have to start playing your best football. You can’t just flip a switch on and off and expect to be a great team.

I think it's because that's when they started eating Thanksgiving dinner before the game, and played after a short nap.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Last I heard, the “Mad Bomber” was selling carpet remnants out of a van in Marfa, TX, lol.

Just saw that on his Wikipedia. lol I’m kind of surprised he’s kept such a low profile all these years. There’s a lot of people that like reminiscing about that Thanksgiving day game back in 1974. You would think he would like looking back and talking about it. I’ve only seen one interview with him many years ago on NFL films.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
all i know is recently theyve been laying absolute STINKERS on thanksgiving and the fans deserve better

Just win a thanksgiving day game please
Wasn’t it last year the raiders game ? Brown was targeted for automatic PI by ref crew

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys all time record on Thanksgiving Day games is 31-22-1. Since AT&T “Stayjum” opened in 2009, the Cowboys are only 5-8 in the annual Thanksgiving Day game. Worse, we are 1-4 on Turkey Day the last 5 years.

Looking at the history of Turkey Day games- the Dallas Cowboys have hosted Thanksgiving games every year since 1966, with the exception of 1975 and ’77.
Here are the Cowboys records on Thanksgiving Day by Stadium:
  • Cotton Bowl: (1966-70) 4-0-1
  • Texas Stadium: (1971-2008- except ‘75 and ‘77) 22-14
  • AT&T Stadium: (2009-present) 5-8
Here are the Cowboys Thanksgiving game records by decade:
  • 1960’s- 3-0-1
  • 1970s: 5-3 (didn’t play in 75 or 77)
  • 1980s: 6-4 (had a 6 game win streak 80-85, followed by 4 game losing streak 86-89)
  • 1990s: 7-3 (best decade for Thanksgiving games)
  • 2000-09: 6-4
  • 2010-19: 4-6 (worst decade for Thanksgiving games)
  • 2020-21: (so far) 0-2
This Thursday’s game is a critical division game against the team just above us and it could/should be a springboard to getting hot at the right time. Everything this team wants to accomplish is still right in front of them if they can keep the advantage of this home field on a short week.

It’s past time to take back the Turkey legs this Thursday. Let’s go Cowboys!
Good stuff Bob. The first Thanksgiving I attended was in 1969.

The last tie in Cowboys history. It was a cold rainy evening at the Cotton Bowl. Mike Clark missed a FG as time expired and we tied the 49ers 24-24.

f0Kutu4.jpg

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The Cowboys record on Thanksgiving began to slide the minute the league caved to all the whining about what an advantage it was for the Cowboys to always be playing at home on Thanksgiving and having a home game the Sunday before as had been agreed to between Schramm and Rozelle all those years ago. So the league started making the Cowboys play on the road the Sunday before Thanksgiving.. even going so far as having them play a stinkin night game on the road in 2014.. That game at the Giants stadium went into overtime and didn't end until well after midnight. The Cowboys promptly dead legged their way to a 33-14 butt whoopin at the hands of the Eagles on Thanksgiving. Adding in the game AFTER Thanksgiving being on Thursday too I think Goodell and Co. have made sure the Cowboys are beat up for the stretch run every year.. Thankfully they couldn't swing it this season and had to split it up. Watch how much better the team plays down the stretch this year. I have said repeatedly that Jerry should put his foot down and refuse to EVER play the back to back Thursday game and never be on the road the Sunday before Thanksgiving. He should let the league fill that slot with a rotation from now on.. and check the TV ratings without the Cowboys..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Every year it’s a new team so let’s not focus on the past in misery and focus on this year. Who gives a damn about the past. It’s irrelevant. It’s for losers.

FTWayne

Reaction score
Just say Tom Landry, that is all you have to know. The others are fake.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good stuff Bob. The first Thanksgiving I attended was in 1969.

The last tie in Cowboys history. It was a cold rainy evening at the Cotton Bowl. Mike Clark missed a FG as time expired and we tied the 49ers 24-24.

f0Kutu4.jpg
That is very cool Greg. I’ve never attended a Thanksgiving Day game although I’ve been to many other Cowboys games.