CFZ Cowboys’ Thanksgiving Day History

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry,
Just do one thing you have full control over that just makes sense.
Pull the frikin Taj Maha curtains shut!!
He won’t. He loves his stayjum aesthetics too much to change. If the network gets a shot of all that light coming in AND his wife’s artwork gets a shout out, he’s had a great day.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Cowboys all time record on Thanksgiving Day games is 31-22-1. Since AT&T “Stayjum” opened in 2009, the Cowboys are only 5-8 in the annual Thanksgiving Day game. Worse, we are 1-4 on Turkey Day the last 5 years.

Looking at the history of Turkey Day games- the Dallas Cowboys have hosted Thanksgiving games every year since 1966, with the exception of 1975 and ’77.
Here are the Cowboys records on Thanksgiving Day by Stadium:
  • Cotton Bowl: (1966-70) 4-0-1
  • Texas Stadium: (1971-2008- except ‘75 and ‘77) 22-14
  • AT&T Stadium: (2009-present) 5-8
Here are the Cowboys Thanksgiving game records by decade:
  • 1960’s- 3-0-1
  • 1970s: 5-3 (didn’t play in 75 or 77)
  • 1980s: 6-4 (had a 6 game win streak 80-85, followed by 4 game losing streak 86-89)
  • 1990s: 7-3 (best decade for Thanksgiving games)
  • 2000-09: 6-4
  • 2010-19: 4-6 (worst decade for Thanksgiving games)
  • 2020-21: (so far) 0-2
This Thursday’s game is a critical division game against the team just above us and it could/should be a springboard to getting hot at the right time. Everything this team wants to accomplish is still right in front of them if they can keep the advantage of this home field on a short week.

It’s past time to take back the Turkey legs this Thursday. Let’s go Cowboys!
ahh yes, the 90s Madden and the turducken...those were some fun times. outside of the oh no big Cat, dont do it snow game.

BTW 20-21 No dak in 20 missing a lot of starters Covid year MM first TG game =PASS 2021 got jobbed by the Refs , the AB game, sux to lose in OT like that..lost by a fg?

time for redemption.. do Not ruin anther family gathering with the eagles Xmas eve, please win those games. I beg of you!! :)

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That is very cool Greg. I’ve never attended a Thanksgiving Day game although I’ve been to many other Cowboys games.

Living 15 minutes from the stadium as I do now I have a Thanksgiving Day game on my bucket list. Problem is the wife is not a football fan ( I know I know .. I made a terrible mistake marrying a non football fan) so it's going to be a tough sell. The good news is our neighbor couple two doors down are HUGE Cowboys fan.. The hubby is a really cool dude and the wife (who is a judge) and my wife are becoming besties. So at some point I am hoping she can eventually shame my wife into going to a game and we can all four go!!

The things we do for love .. (the things we do for love!)

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Living 15 minutes from the stadium as I do now I have a Thanksgiving Day game on my bucket list. Problem is the wife is not a football fan ( I know I know .. I made a terrible mistake marrying a non football fan) so it's going to be a tough sell. The good news is our neighbor couple two doors down are HUGE Cowboys fan.. The hubby is a really cool dude and the wife (who is a judge) and my wife are becoming besties. So at some point I am hoping she can eventually shame my wife into going to a game and we can all four go!!

The things we do for love .. (the things we do for love!)
Cool. Sounds like you have a handle on how to leverage that neighbor friendship into a Cowboys game- maybe Turkey day game next year? Here’s to checking that off your bucket list brother!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not think the tradition of the Turkey Day game has the importance it once had.

First off, John and Pat are no longer there to be a part of our Thanksgiving. Thursday games are now common. And FA with changing rosters has affected the rivalry games and traditional games.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not think the tradition of the Turkey Day game has the importance it once had.

First off, John and Pat are no longer there to be a part of our Thanksgiving. Thursday games are now common. And FA with changing rosters has affected the rivalry games and traditional games.
Totally agree. Now we get 3 NFL Thanksgiving day games. And the “regular” Thursday night games which are usually akin to watching paint dry.

The NFL has never understood nor embraced the fundamental marketing idea that sometimes less is more.

Motorola

Reaction score

The things we do for love .. (THE THINGS WE DO FOR LOVE!)
Hit song by 10cc back in the 70's

Tussinman

Reaction score
Cowboys are 3-7 in the last 10 on thanksgiving

I never would have guessed it was that bad
I'm actually kind of surprised that your surprised.

They've clearly lost the last 3 games and most people still have vivid memories of Rivers putting up over 400 yards and Colt McCoy sticking it to us in a gutsy performance.

Just that alone puts them at .500 or worst in the last 10 years and that's just games that majority of people remember.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Thank you, Bobhaze for posting the this holiday history of the storied franchise we follow.
It brings back memories of some remarkable, nail-biting, on-the-edge-of-your seat reactions to a number of games on Turkey Day___

1966: The first year the Cowboys played on the holiday, was also the season the franchise posted a winning record - and the first NFL championship game the team played in\hosted a title game.

1969: Tie game against the Forty-Niners - the last one of six overall for the record books.

1975 - Clint Longley

1980 - 51 points in a blowout win

1983 - OT loss in a shootout

1993 - Leon Lett
You could have left out the Leon Lett debacle and not brought that memory to light again!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You could have left out the Leon Lett debacle and not brought that memory to light again!

The thing I remember most about that game, other than the Leon Lett gaffe, was the Lincoln Coleman came in and had a decent game. Remember Emmitt was limited in that game after taking a helmet to the thigh against Atlanta the previous game. That was the first time the "Do we really need Emmitt? His backup looked more explosive!" whispers started. It was the beginning of a trend..

Motorola

Reaction score
Jim Marshall of the fabled Vikings DLine: his "Wrong Way Run" was for a time the most referred-to play for NFL "gaffes\bloopers" ...until Lett came along.
[An aside: Jim Marshall should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.]

Super Bowl XXVII & 1993 Thanksgiving Day Classic.
Leon Lett has to be at the top of the list... TWO multiple game-play blunders on NFL nationally televised games.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I’m not sure it ever had any more importance . Perhaps that was fabricated in the minds of the fans. Maybe it was more important when we had greater teams ?

IMO the tradition is still there. Honestly I always hated us playing on Thanksgiving .

Being a season ticket holder all of those years it kept us away from our family and many times gave the tickets away especially if weather was bad.

Then if didn’t attend had to deal with all of the family distractions watching the game. I’d prefer eating Turkey with family distractions watching anybody else play but the Cowboys.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DFW- North Texas has had how many worse snowfall\ice storm weather since then?
The winter storm that hit Texas in early Feb, 2011, just before the Super Bowl game held at AT&T stadium. I live in the DFW area and that was way worse than the ice storm that hit us in 1993 in the Turkey Day Leon Lett game. The 2011 winter storm shut down the whole area for days.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The winter storm that hit Texas in early Feb, 2011, just before the Super Bowl game held at AT&T stadium. I live in the DFW area and that was way worse than the ice storm that hit us in 1993 in the Turkey Day Leon Lett game. The 2011 winter storm shut down the whole area for days.

I wasn't here back in '93 or 2011 .. but the Snowmageddon of February 2021 was the worst in like a hundred years. We got like a foot of snow over the course of the two week period. If there had been a Super Bowl at AT&T that year it might have had to be postponed.