Cowboys $12M over project 2022 NFL salary cap of $208.2M, here's how they get under

Creeper

Reaction score
I think the net of all of this is the Cowboys have a serious CAP issue in 2022 and the way out of it is either pushing the problem down the road or cutting players like DLaw and/or Cooper to solve the problem. Then when the Cowboys finish 4th in their division in 2022 and 2023, we can all blame McCarthy or Kellen Moore.

btw, I have no problem trading Cooper and DLaw if possible. It creates CAP space and it gets the Cowboys some draft capital to maybe replace the players they lose. Trading Cooper and Lawrence saves them $24 million. A few minor restructures here and there and maybe they can afford to keep Gregory and Gallup.

But I do not see how the Cowboys do not pay for this CAP problem with losses on Sundays in 2022 or 2023.

People who ask how the Eagles get under the CAP after having big CAP problems. The answer is they are willing to cut their QBs when they cost too much money. They dumped Foles to save $25 million and them they traded Wentz to save a lot more. Now they are paying Hurts his rookie deal. That allows them to keep their best players elsewhere, like Cox, Graham, Kelce and others. And maybe that is the way of the future in the NFL. Build teams around offensive and defensive lines and use young QBs to manage games rather than put 20-30% of your CAP into 1 QB as the expense of the rest of the roster, and when he gets hurt the team loses.

Nexx

Reaction score
Let’s see how Dak will fare with less help. That’s why you paid him 40 mill right?

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Only if you’re smart.
:thumbup:
I don’t worry about the salary cap at all, but trying to finger out what any given move means past the following year as a fan sound like a joy. Now if you’re a member of the teams front office. That’s a different story.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t worry about the salary cap at all, but trying to finger out what any given move means past the following year as a fan sound like a joy. Now if you’re a member of the teams front office. That’s a different story.

No right or wrong way to be a fan. While you may not care much about cap stuff, many of us take a more holistic view of the organization which includes cap and contracts.

Money spent today means less money for future contracts for guys like Diggs and Parsons.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, really. The cap goes up. Teams who don’t use all of the cap aren’t utilizing all of their assets properly.

Tell me that about the Crawford deal. Or Lawrence’s deal.

Your claim is simply not true.

Creeper

Reaction score
They overpaid mediocre players. There’s a difference.

Yes, of course this is the problem. Overpaying players like Jaylon Smith, Demarcus Lawrence, Zeke, Dak, etc has a price that is going to get paid eventually. The CAP is a dimension teams have to consider when they build their rosters. We as fans don't have to concern ourselves with it but GMs should have a 5 year view of their roster and CAP projections. Who wants to see Parsons leave after his rookie deal, assuming he continues to play at the level he is now? I'd rather they build a defense around him. Get him a defensive line to protect him the same way you would get an offensive line to protect your QB.

But mismanagement of the CAP may prevent the Cowboys from resigning Parsons downs the road. That's why the GM has to have that long term plan.

I have no problem using the entire CAP every year, but use it wisely.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Yes, of course this is the problem. Overpaying players like Jaylon Smith, Demarcus Lawrence, Zeke, Dak, etc has a price that is going to get paid eventually. The CAP is a dimension teams have to consider when they build their rosters. We as fans don't have to concern ourselves with it but GMs should have a 5 year view of their roster and CAP projections. Who wants to see Parsons leave after his rookie deal, assuming he continues to play at the level he is now? I'd rather they build a defense around him. Get him a defensive line to protect him the same way you would get an offensive line to protect your QB.

But mismanagement of the CAP may prevent the Cowboys from resigning Parsons downs the road. That's why the GM has to have that long term plan.

I agree in principle, but in practice, these convos have been going on for years and they always sign the guys they want to keep.

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree in principle, but in practice, these convos have been going on for years and they always sign the guys they want to keep.

This is not true though. Go back to 2017 when the Cowboys had to eat Tony Romo's contract when he retired. They lost a bunch of free agents, signed a bunch of useless players on the cheap, like Nolan Carroll, and Stephen Paea. They lost Ron Leary, Jack Crawford, Terrell McClain, Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne, Barry Church and JJ Wilcox. Maybe none of these guys were great but I believe the Cowboys would have liked to have kept some of them.

I don't see how it could be argued that when teams get behind the 8 ball with the CAP it does not matter. It has to matter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:hammer:

Barring injury, two years from now, Trevon Diggs will reset the top of the cornerback market. Parsons for all defensive players after that. If you don’t account for that now, you can say goodbye to both down the road.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Doesn't restructure mean they're just kicking their obligations down the road?
They still owe the player whatever guaranteed money the player is entitled. Plus, the player has to agree to have his contract restructured.

Future value of money. A dollar spent x years from now is worth less than a dollar spent today.

conner01

Reaction score
Doesn't restructure mean they're just kicking their obligations down the road?
They still owe the player whatever guaranteed money the player is entitled. Plus, the player has to agree to have his contract restructured.
Getting under is easy
Players always agree to restructure because it’s in their best interest
The consequences can be an issue in the future but teams know what’s coming with the cap and it’s certainly going up
The problem with it going up is salaries go up with it so the Lambs and Micah’s cost even more

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys have so many ways to unload that financial burden and it's way too early to be concerned with it. We have a regular season to finish and playoffs to dominate and Super Bowl to win and a parade to attend. So yeah, way too early.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Tell me that about the Crawford deal. Or Lawrence’s deal.

Your claim is simply not true.

These CAP deniers are the same fans that claimed: "we wasted Dak's rookie contract", or "our Defense has to improve"......whilst ignoring the fact that our CAP situation results in us signing JAG FA's as starters.

After cutting ties with Jaylon I do have some confidence that we will at last do something to correct the CAP concern.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These CAP deniers are the same fans that claimed: "we wasted Dak's rookie contract", or "our Defense has to improve"......whilst ignoring the fact that our CAP situation results in us signing JAG FA's as starters.

After cutting ties with Jaylon I do have some confidence that we will at last do something to correct the CAP concern.

“cap deniers” is such a fitting term. I’m stealing that one! :laugh: