Cowboys 1st round mentality

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I think that I’ve narrowed down what the Cowboys would like to do in the 1st round:

Option 1 Trade up for

1A. Roquan Smith
1B. Derwin James

I strongly feel this two are exact scheme fits and would be day 1 starters for us. If either gets to #10 Oakland I really think we’ll start seeing Stephan making calls.

Option 2 stay put for

1C. Calvin Ridley
1D. Leighton Vander Esch

Both would be day 1 starters. I think they like Ridley a lot and have scheduled a formal visit with him. He’d be a great fit opposite Dez. Leighton Vander Esch is a player they like based on measurables and potential. Very similar to Byron jones and Taco Charlton.

Option 3 Trade down for

1E. Isiah Wynn
1F. Will Hernandez

This happens if the board is totally whipped out and we may be able to pick up an extra 2nd/3rd and still grab an immediate starter at a position of need. I’m extremely confident one of these 6 players will be the pick day 1.

Jake0

Reaction score
LVE/Evans or trade down if it lets Dallas keep a late 1st rounder plus give another 2nd or early 3rd. Trading up sounds terrible. This team has too many holes and lost too many players to FA. No chance that makes any sense.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I think that I’ve narrowed down what the Cowboys would like to do in the 1st round:

Option 1 Trade up for

1A. Roquan Smith
1B. Derwin James

I strongly feel this two are exact scheme fits and would be day 1 starters for us. If either gets to #10 Oakland I really think we’ll start seeing Stephan making calls.

Option 2 stay put for

1C. Calvin Ridley
1D. Leighton Vander Esch

Both would be day 1 starters. I think they like Ridley a lot and have scheduled a formal visit with him. He’d be a great fit opposite Dez. Leighton Vander Esch is a player they like based on measurables and potential. Very similar to Byron jones and Taco Charlton.

Option 3 Trade down for

1E. Isiah Wynn
1F. Will Hernandez

This happens if the board is totally whipped out and we may be able to pick up an extra 2nd/3rd and still grab an immediate starter at a position of need. I’m extremely confident one of these 6 players will be the pick day 1.

I would include Vander Esch with option 3 but I suspect you have the strategy down.

cowboyec

Reaction score
dont believe they trade up.
doesnt work out to good when they do.
trade back...maybe...if the board is washed out.
I think they stay put and take Calvin Ridley if he is there....Wynn or Hernandez if he isnt.

draft to improve.
draft to compete in the east.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
Vander Esch might not be there at 19, I'm sure some teams are smitten with this guys measurable's. If he is there at 19 he would be my pick over Evans 100 percent of the time. Alabama didn't even know where to play Evans, he was behind others most of his career and when he was on the field he would never be in coverage unless it was a cover 2 zone playing down in the flats. His best asset is pass rushing which is not the best player skill set for a 4-3 I think he will go to a 3-4 team at MLB where he gets to rush the QB more often. The guy can hit though if he reads the play in time.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
If this team is only going to bottom feed in free agency - can they afford to trade up in the draft for anyone ? The first 3 draft picks need to become starters, how can you justify trading one or both away (depending how far up you want to go) when they now become hugely important pieces for the team.
I do not want Dallas to get involved in the first day or two of free agency, I do like the trend of not going after the big splash players. But I also can't stand the bottom feeder mentality. Has to be some middle ground, and if not. No way can they give up draft assets to move up. With 10 picks, maybe package some lower round picks on day 3, but the 19, 50 and 81 picks must be starters or productive players right out of the gate !

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
This FO is way too cheap to trade up. It’ll be a trade down to save $.

RS12

Reaction score
It almost has to be front 7 on defense. LB corps is a mess and Stevie said they were focused on DL in the draft a month or two ago.

Hardline

Reaction score
A trade down will most likely cost you a chance to draft Wynn. Maybe even Hernandez.
Both are going in the first round.
Ill take Wynn at 19.

Sydla

Reaction score
They are going to take an OG at 19. Prepare yourself for that silly move.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I woulnt risk it ,if you like one of them then pick him because team picking after us are looking for LBs too.

I'm not taking a LB just to take a LB. They aren't top 20 talents IMO, and would rather get the better player even if it's a different position.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is very good. Reading my mind, actually, but I'd add Rashaad Evans into the mix at 19.

The closer we get to the draft the more I feel like the Cowboys might make a move up for James. I would not be surprised to see the 49ers or Raiders logo switch to the Cowboys that Thursday Night.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Ridley’s looking more likely at 19 with Baltimore’s free agent moves today. Still not discounting a DL at that spot.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Option 1 Trade up for

1A. Roquan Smith
1B. Derwin James

Option 2 stay put for

1C. Calvin Ridley
1D. Leighton Vander Esch

Option 3 Trade down for

1E. Isiah Wynn
1F. Will Hernandez

Interesting take
Fwiw on Vander Eash....
"Very similar to Byron Jones and Taco Charlton" is not a ringing endorsement...especially at 19

I'm also not completey convinced that Roquan Smith wont be there at 19

Aven8

Reaction score
This is very good. Reading my mind, actually, but I'd add Rashaad Evans into the mix at 19.

The closer we get to the draft the more I feel like the Cowboys might make a move up for James. I would not be surprised to see the 49ers or Raiders logo switch to the Cowboys that Thursday Night.

I think they would maybe move up that far for him as well. For Ro Smith I could see a couple of spots up.

waving monkey

Reaction score

Option 1 Trade up for

1A. Roquan Smith
1B. Derwin James

Option 2 stay put for

1C. Calvin Ridley
1D. Leighton Vander Esch

Option 3 Trade down for

1E. Isiah Wynn
1F. Will Hernandez

I think you covered it pretty well.
I hope its a trade down particularly with Philly going Dline heavy during FA.

rkell87

Reaction score
A trade down will most likely cost you a chance to draft Wynn. Maybe even Hernandez.
Both are going in the first round.
Ill take Wynn at 19.
How many guards are going in the first round?