Cowboys 1st round mentality

bodi

Reaction score
I woulnt risk it ,if you like one of them then pick him because team picking after us are looking for LBs too.

22 New York Giants:

esp 28 Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh obviously needs to replace Ryan Shazier, who won't play in 2018

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I like it.

James is the one guy in this draft who I feel is worth a trade up for. And if we stay put at 19, LVE, Wynn, and Hernandez would all be high-impact day 1 starters.

rkell87

Reaction score
That's only happened once since aikman retired and two of them busted. Nelson might be worthy of a top ten pick but since Jerry bought the Cowboys no Guard has been. Ogden was a guard drafted to play Tackle, Lenard Davis was drafted to play tackle and busted but was a really good guard but still not for his draft slot nor the team that drafted him. Cooper and warmack definitively aren't worth their spots. History says first round guards go between 15 and 28 and that three guards most likely aren't going in the first round and even if they did we most likely would be able to get the best one.

Gaede

Reaction score
Pretty good guess, I think.

We've got to be looking at S, LB, and WR. Which means James, Smith, Evans, Vander Esch, and Ridley. If the board is stripped clean, Wynn or Hernandez are good fallbacks. If we can't shore up our weaknesses, then I'm totally cool with making our strength even stronger.

The team hates DTs, so I doubt we target Payne, Hurst, or Vea.

Hardline

Reaction score
That's only happened once since aikman retired and two of them busted. Nelson might be worthy of a top ten pick but since Jerry bought the Cowboys no Guard has been. Ogden was a guard drafted to play Tackle, Lenard Davis was drafted to play tackle and busted but was a really good guard but still not for his draft slot nor the team that drafted him. Cooper and warmack definitively aren't worth their spots. History says first round guards go between 15 and 28 and that three guards most likely aren't going in the first round and even if they did we most likely would be able to get the best one.
There will be 3 guards taken.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd really love to see us trade out of the 1st all together. I'd love to trade with Cleveland for their 33rd and 36th pick in the second round, in exchange for our 19th, maybe a 6th.

Those two picks would give us the ability to take two players, right in the sweet spot of this draft IMO. Would love to see us do something like that.

jday

Reaction score
I think that I’ve narrowed down what the Cowboys would like to do in the 1st round:

Option 1 Trade up for

1A. Roquan Smith
1B. Derwin James

I strongly feel this two are exact scheme fits and would be day 1 starters for us. If either gets to #10 Oakland I really think we’ll start seeing Stephan making calls.

Option 2 stay put for

1C. Calvin Ridley
1D. Leighton Vander Esch

Both would be day 1 starters. I think they like Ridley a lot and have scheduled a formal visit with him. He’d be a great fit opposite Dez. Leighton Vander Esch is a player they like based on measurables and potential. Very similar to Byron jones and Taco Charlton.

Option 3 Trade down for

1E. Isiah Wynn
1F. Will Hernandez

This happens if the board is totally whipped out and we may be able to pick up an extra 2nd/3rd and still grab an immediate starter at a position of need. I’m extremely confident one of these 6 players will be the pick day 1.
Seems to be a fair assessment...and I'd be okay with all of them. But, if they do go the Ridley route, I'd hope they've already shored up a good portion of the middle of their team (Guard, Inside Linebacker, Defensive Tackle, Safety) through Free Agency, which is doubtful.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd really love to see us trade out of the 1st all together. I'd love to trade with Cleveland for their 33rd and 36th pick in the second round, in exchange for our 19th, maybe a 6th.

Those two picks would give us the ability to take two players, right in the sweet spot of this draft IMO. Would love to see us do something like that.

I think they may trade down but they wont trade out of the 1st RD,they value the fifth year option.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Taking a Oline at 19th is an idiot move

We don't need entire line of first rounders, we need a defense

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think they may trade down but they wont trade out of the 1st RD,they value the fifth year option.

That's a good point but, I think it really depends on how they value the worth of the players after, say 15, or however many players they actually have that carry a 1st round grade.

phildadon86

Reaction score
This is very good. Reading my mind, actually, but I'd add Rashaad Evans into the mix at 19.

The closer we get to the draft the more I feel like the Cowboys might make a move up for James. I would not be surprised to see the 49ers or Raiders logo switch to the Cowboys that Thursday Night.
I agree. Stephen already came out and said Safety would be a huge need if we moved jones to CB. Which we did. So now. I feel like the splash and the player go hand in hand.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
I think that I’ve narrowed down what the Cowboys would like to do in the 1st round:

Option 1 Trade up for

1A. Roquan Smith
1B. Derwin James

I strongly feel this two are exact scheme fits and would be day 1 starters for us. If either gets to #10 Oakland I really think we’ll start seeing Stephan making calls.

Option 2 stay put for

1C. Calvin Ridley
1D. Leighton Vander Esch

Both would be day 1 starters. I think they like Ridley a lot and have scheduled a formal visit with him. He’d be a great fit opposite Dez. Leighton Vander Esch is a player they like based on measurables and potential. Very similar to Byron jones and Taco Charlton.

Option 3 Trade down for

1E. Isiah Wynn
1F. Will Hernandez

This happens if the board is totally whipped out and we may be able to pick up an extra 2nd/3rd and still grab an immediate starter at a position of need. I’m extremely confident one of these 6 players will be the pick day 1.

1A) I hope not
1C) Meh
B;D;E;F) Like very much

Rockdoc

Reaction score
plan A - i dont care. trade up, trade down. just dont get too cute. i want a LB in the first round
plan B - i want a swing tackle early enough where he'd be ready to play this year.
plan c - i love hernadez at guard but we have to be sure Smith is back to near 100%
plan d - 1 tech probably have to be Payne if he drops, but i dont think this staff will do it.

Londonboy

Reaction score

I'd love that trade too, problem is, with the draft in Dallas, Jerry will want to make a splash, so I see a trade up as more likely.