Cowboys 1st round pick possibilities

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
If we get some quality D Linemen in FA I'd be okay with getting another monster on the OL. Get Norv in here as OC and recreate the 90s offense. Throw to 88 to get a lead and run it down their throat with a HUGE OL

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Holloman is going to push Carter for the job in training camp.

There is an interview with the LB coach where he indicated that Holloman graded out really well in the final game.

I doubt they trade Carter. The Cowboys don't like to give up on draft picks. See Arkin, David.

Sure -- but I think the staff liked Arkin. He worked hard, he just didn't have it. Carter is, however, hitting a contract year so maybe he shows up.

My thought was that he looked a heck of a lot better in the 3-4 last year. Might make a nice trade partner for someone who has a front 7 player who did well in a 4-3 but is struggling with a switch to the 3-4.

I do like Holloman but he seems to on occasion take terrible angles on plays. Of course, if he was perfect he wouldn't have been around in round 6, so he might fix that.

bodi

Reaction score
I look at this kid 5th round

Wesley Johnson 6-5 #295

12/11/2013 - 2013 ALL-SEC FIRST TEAM (COACHES): OL - Wesley Johnson, Vanderbilt...Johnson also achieved a remarkable career of his own as a four-year starter. No player in Vanderbilt history has started and played more games than Johnson. The Nashville product started his 50th consecutive game in the season finale vs. Wake Forest. Johnson is considered one of the conference's most athletic and versatile offensive linemen.
He has played virtually every important snap for the Commodores since the 2010 opener, and has started at four different line positions: left tackle, right tackle left guard and center. This year, Johnson has started every game at left tackle, protecting the blindside of Vanderbilt quarterbacks against one of the NCAA's top defensive ends. During his career, he has been flagged for just two holding penalties and has allowed just 7.5 quarterback sacks in 1,281 pass plays, averaging one sack per 171 plays. - Vanderbilt football

STRENGTHS: Generously listed at 6-5 and 295 pounds, Johnson's bulk, strength and overall length aren't traditional strengths, but he has easy movement skills and does an excellent job getting to the second level with above average lower body control to mirror in space. He is smart with astute awareness to pick up defenders and is a clinic for combination blocks. Excels with body positioning and has a brilliant understanding of angles and utilizes his entire frame to shield defenders from the protection zone.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to flash more nastiness at the point of attack to control rushers in the run game. A bit undersized.

I think I would play this kid a OG

but he has played every position on the O line

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure -- but I think the staff liked Arkin. He worked hard, he just didn't have it. Carter is, however, hitting a contract year so maybe he shows up.

My thought was that he looked a heck of a lot better in the 3-4 last year. Might make a nice trade partner for someone who has a front 7 player who did well in a 4-3 but is struggling with a switch to the 3-4.

I do like Holloman but he seems to on occasion take terrible angles on plays. Of course, if he was perfect he wouldn't have been around in round 6, so he might fix that.

Carter had issues shedding blocks. A 3-4 team would be more concerned about that than a 4-3 team.

Holloman played MLB in the final 2 games. He had never in his life played or practiced that position before 3 weeks remaining in the season.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Carter had issues shedding blocks. A 3-4 team would be more concerned about that than a 4-3 team.

Holloman played MLB in the final 2 games. He had never in his life played or practiced that position before 3 weeks remaining in the season.

Yet, Carter played a heck of a lot better as an ILB in the 3-4. So we are either talking system or effort. I expect there is one guy over in NO who thinks he could fix him

I certainly do agree that playing out of position will mess up your angles -- I like the kid, he does make things happen