Cowboys 2007 Head Coach will be

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kowboys 05 said:
Bill Belicheck (sp?)
He stepped out of Parcells' shadow. Why would he want to step back into it?

Wishful thinking is good. No way.

Tristan

Reaction score
Jerry Jones will get Charlie Weiss! even if he has to give ND some form of buy out.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another who will our coach will be thread....does it really matter at this point.
We will have another 15 threads by the end of the year.
I say it will be BP..unless we win the SB.

lspain1

Reaction score
Let's assume it is late in 2007. We'll be optimistic and say that the Cowboys have played well in the 2006 and 2007 seasons and went to at least the NFC Championship game in 2006 and are looking at the SB in 2007. Bill is clearly ready to retire assuming he wins the SB (and his place in the HoF). TO has played well but is beginning to look at an age related fall off in performance. The quarterback question is now at white heat, as the fans know that Bledsoe's successor must be selected and readied for play.

The Dallas Cowboys need a head coach with the following characteristics:

1. A good coaching mind with a proven record of success as a head coach
2. A good record of talent selection and talent development both for players and coaches
3. Excellent knowledge of the talent available in the college ranks
4. A coach with stature, character, and media savvy to deal with a player such as TO and the media.

Now some of you might say that number three is not necessary, but if the Cowboys have played well and are picking lower in the draft, this knowledge of talent at the college level becomes even more critical. The Cowboys have good scouting, but a coach with experience at the college level has a leg up in talent selection for a couple of years (a la Jimmy Johnson).

Based upon my criteria, there are very few coaches who could fit the profile. I can name two off of the top of my head and they are Charlie Weis at ND and Al Groh at UVa. However, Groh is in his 60's and Weis is really the only one who is young enough to consider a long stint as head coach of the Cowboys.

I have long been a Holmgren fan because of his good realtions with Jerry, and I felt he also was a good judge and developer of talent. Howver, I now believe that Weis represents the better choice. Weis has the credentials and the talent knowledge to come in at the helm of the Cowboys and make an immediate positive impact. He will already be familiar with the offense and defense and will see a number of players who he already knows.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
My NFL Head Coach game says the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys will be Timmy O'Leary. Here is the bio on him.

He has the ability to become a Legendary Head Coach.

His motivation is 97! 97! He get's every ounce out of his players and more!!

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Hostile said:
When Parcells leaves, and I don't know that it will be after this year, Jerry will go after another high profile Head Coach. You can book that right now. I bet it might be Mike Holmgren.

NOOOOO!!! Please no!! I don't want no West Coast Lone Star offense... pure junk IMO...

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
Jerry will start to get paranoid. He doesn't want to recommit sins of the past. At which time, Jimmy should be about ready to give it another go. It will be too perfect and the temptation for both men will just push this thing into immediately happening.

Hell, you can already see Jimmy's "juices" starting to get flowing again anytime a mention of this comes up. And he basically said this past season that Dallas is the only job he would ever consider. Well guess what people, that was a "phone-call" for all intents and purposes...and it was done on national television for Jerry and all the world to see. In which I totally lay odds on Jerry returning that "phone-call" when the time arises and Jimmy acting like it was all Jerry's idea and graciously accepting the offer, letting bygones be bygones.

Jimmy Johnson 1989-1993 & 2008-20??

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zippy Speedster said:
Jimmy should be about ready to give it another go.
I don't think anyone really believes that. Jimmy is retired for good.

BlueWave

Reaction score
If it's next year, Butch Davis.

If not, I wouldn't be suprised at all if Jimmy Johnson doesn't think about coming back.

Never forget about Stoops on the outside.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Parcells in 2007 for his final year of coaching.....

Will come back with the Cowboys and attempt to repeat as world champs!!!

OR to finally win the Lombardi trophy with the Cowboys in his final year of coaching.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Parcells in '07. and then........ Todd Haley in '08. Todd Bowles becomes the DC after Zimmer leaves for a college HC job.

Don't laugh -- if we have serious success both Todds are going to be white hot candidates. So hot that Jerry might even be convinced to not go out and get another Switzer.
I agree about it being Parcells; I think he coaches out his contract. And I hope you are right about Haley; he is one of the few coaches currently on the team that I would want to take over. I like his fire and the fact that he is still young enough to be around for years to keep the program on track.

Unfortunately I'm afraid that it will be Sparano instead. They made him the Asst. HC this year after not letting him go to the Saints as OC and he is one of Parcells favorites. I do Soooo hope I'm wrong on this one.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JackMagist said:
Unfortunately I'm afraid that it will be Sparano instead. They made him the Asst. HC this year after not letting him go to the Saints as OC and he is one of Parcells favorites. I do Soooo hope I'm wrong on this one.
Tony Sparano, Mike Zimmer, Chris Palmer, or Bruce DeHaven - no thanks.

Todd Haley or Paul Pasqualoni - maybe.

I'm not real sold on any of our current asst coaches stepping up. Going outside the organization is the best way to IMHO.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I still think Gailey got a raw deal.

Jerry brought him in because he had an innovative offense mind. Then he proceded to undermine everything he wanted to do.

Chan could have been a great coach in the right situation.

please...Gailey was mediocre at best....something he has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt at Ga Tech...there is no "right situation" for Gailey

nice guy...but lousy head coach

David

CoCo

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Jimmy Johnson...

While Parcells still very much has his ego I do think he has been willing to respect Jones as owner and even GM. Jerry still gets his share of spotlight on personnel for the Boys.

I'm still not sure that Jimmy has grown up enough to share the spotlight with Jerry.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Didn't Jimmy Bring in Zimmer? or was that Switzer? this is just for knowledge