Cowboys 2007 Head Coach will be

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Absolutely. It will be a name everyone knows. The days of Campo and Gailey are over.

Bingo. Mr. Jones will NEVER pull a "Gailey/Campo" again. :star:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kowboys 05 said:
Didn't Jimmy Bring in Zimmer? or was that Switzer? this is just for knowledge
Zimmer came in 1994. As a defensive assistant in 1994, Zimmer worked with the Dallas nickel defense, which helped the secondary finish as the top ranked pass defense in the league (172.0 passing yards-per-game).

Before joining the Dallas staff, Zimmer spent five seasons as the defensive coordinator/secondary coach at Washington State. Zimmer's first Cougar defense in 1989 established a school record with 24 interceptions and 48 sacks. In 1993, the Cougars finished eighth in the nation in total defense and second in rushing defense.

Prior to joining the Cougars' staff, Zimmer was an assistant at Weber State College from 1981-88. Zimmer coached inside linebackers from 1981-84, while adding the duties of defensive coordinator in 1983. From 1985-88, he served as coordinator and oversaw the secondary.

Zimmer began his coaching career as a part-time assistant on defense at the University of Missouri in 1979, coaching, among others, All-Pro cornerbacks Eric Wright (San Francisco 49ers) and Johnnie Poe (New Orleans Saints).

Zimmer played quarterback at Illinois State University in 1974. After redshirting the 1975 season, he suffered a broken thumb in the spring of 1976 and was moved to linebacker. A neck injury, suffered during the 1976 season, led to surgery and the end of his playing career. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in physical education in 1979.

Zimmer was a two-time all-conference quarterback at Lockport, Ill., High School in 1972-73, playing for his father Bill, who played football at Bradley and later with the 49ers. Mike also earned all-conference honors in wrestling and baseball.

Born June 5, 1956 in Peoria, Ill., Mike and wife Vikki have three children, Adam (1/13/84) � a defensive back at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas � Marki (4/30/87) and Corri (2/22/90).

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
After Parcells .....

The Favorites:

-- Charlie Weis. This makes a lot of sense, but it may be too difficult to pry him away from Notre Dame. Two reasons why it could possibly happen. 1) I think deep down inside, Weis views himself as an NFL guy and would rather bypass the endless recruiting and glad-handing with boosters that goes with the job. 2) If anyone can convince him to leave Notre Dame, it's probably Jerry.

-- Mike Zimmer. I don't like this anymore than most of you, but the guy keeps hanging around and if Jerry decides to stay in-house, he may look to him. Other schools (Nebraska) and NFL teams (Rams) have sniffed around, which is a lot more than Campo had going for him.

-- Butch Davis. Someone Jerry likes and probably feels he can work well with. The reason for Davis' demise in Cleveland, IMO, is his inability to evaluate players. This came up when Butch was in Dallas. Jimmy once said that Butch never saw a player he didn't like. Jerry and Jeff Ireland would handle the drafting and leave Butch to coach the team. Butch, by the way, would have gotten the job in 1994 if Jerry wouldn't have been able to convince Switzer to come out of retirement. This scenario may not be ideal, but it could happen.

Possibles:

-- Tommy Tuberville. The Auburn coach reportedly has been on Jerry's radar for some time. He has ties to Jimmy.

-- Kirk Ferentz. Probably the top candidate for an NFL job from the college ranks. Was on Belichick's staff at Cleveland, so he has the NFL experience.

-- Bob Stoops. Seems entrenched at OU and has lost some of his luster.

Long shots:

-- Jimmy Johnson. He's well into his 60s now and I don't see him going back into the grind.

-- Todd Haley. He may have a future, but I think he may be too volatile for Jerry's taste.

-- Mike Holmgren. Jerry's old friend. This would be more possible if Seattle hadn't recently extended his deal.

-- Maurice Carthon. "Little Bill" has Parcells' bark, but isn't the manipulative genius that Parcells is.

-- Les Miles. Was on Gailey's staff at Dallas and has done very well as a collegiate head coach. I bet Jerry is keeping an eye on him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Unfortunately I'm afraid that it will be Sparano instead. They made him the Asst. HC this year after not letting him go to the Saints as OC and he is one of Parcells favorites. I do Soooo hope I'm wrong on this one.

That Assistant HC thing is meaningless -- Payton wanted to bring him to NO -- we "promoted" him to say "sorry we didn't let you have the OC job in NO"

I don't think it is so much that he likes Sparano as it was "damn, I don't want to have to replace another coach"

We currently don't have someone with the title of Offensive Coordinator -- my bet is Haley gets that next year if he shows he can work with TO

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
please...Gailey was mediocre at best....something he has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt at Ga Tech...there is no "right situation" for Gailey

nice guy...but lousy head coach

David

Come on. The guy lost 10 scholarships over something he had nuthin' to do with. What do you expect?