Cowboys 2015 Draft: Running Back Jay Ajayi Lists Dallas As One Of The Teams With Most Interest

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I wouldn't draft him until the 4th at the earliest. Maybe he had a crappy line or maybe he's just not a very good running back, but he looks terrible. If we took him at 27, I'd be pretty upset -- less with the pick and more with what it says about our front office evaluation of talent.

JBS

Reaction score
Man. It's so weird to me that people can see such different things

Not saying others are wrong...but I really like this guy..I see a guy who has it all...burst...power..enough shiftyness...love him

locked&loaded

Reaction score
I wouldn't draft him until the 4th at the earliest. Maybe he had a crappy line or maybe he's just not a very good running back, but he looks terrible. If we took him at 27, I'd be pretty upset -- less with the pick and more with what it says about our front office evaluation of talent.

terrible....? did the guy steal your girlfriend or something? let it out...youre in a safe place.

Reaction score

I live in Boise and have watched all his home games in person and away games on TV, so I think I have a little more perspective than the rest who just view a few youtube compilations. Last year, I believe you were lukewarm on the Demarcus Lawrence pick, if I recall correctly (if not, I apologize). I thought and continue to think that the Lawrence pick was well worth it and that he has good, if not great, upside. As for Ajayi, I prefer a few other backs to him (Gurley, Yeldon, maybe even Buck Allen), but he is certainly more than a 4th rounder. On the positive side, he is a true workhorse back. He carried the BSU offense this year. He is explosive, but does not have elite long speed (like Gordon, Coleman, Abdullah). He is strong and tough. He has good vision and can make people miss. He is fiery; he cares and wants to win. And he is one of the best pass catchers in the draft. On the negative side, he bounces WAY too many runs to the outside. This will be his biggest challenge in the pros: keeping the run in the blocked hole and taking the 4 yards. I think this can be coached out of him, and alot of college runners have this problem. But we really wont know until he gets on a team. Also, he has some ball security issues. Too many fumbles per touch. Finally, I do not recall seeing him pass protect much; that is because he was usually out on the route because he was such a good receiver. So I think his pass pro is undeveloped and may keep him from stepping right in to any team as a 3-down back. Bottom line: I prefer Gurley, then Yeldon, and a tossup of Ajayi/Buck Allen. I would be happy with Yeldon, Ajayi, or Allen in the 2nd. I think these four RBs are the only true foundational backs in the draft. I am not sold on Gordon, Coleman, Abdullah as physical enough runners to be full-time 3 down backs. Just my opinion.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Perfect fit.......another running back who steals clothing. I guess I just got a real hard time rooting for a moron who just can't stop being a moron. Give me the good guy in Tevin Coleman every day and twice on Sunday.