Cowboys 2015 Draft Targets: USC RB Javorius "Buck" Allen

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because there has been such a high correlation in recent years between the top collegians invited to Valley Ranch for pre-draft visits and who the Cowboys end up drafting, it's important to know as much as possible about these players. As a service to you, BTB offers a series of detailed scouting reports on these players, compiled from the work of top draft analysts. Today, we look at USC running back Javorius "Buck" Allen.

Javorius "Buck" Allen redshirted at USC in 2011, then saw minimal action as a redshirt freshman the following season. In 2013, he started the season as part of a running back-by-committee system, but emerged as the lead dog down the stretch, eclipsing the 100-yard mark four times, and finishing with a team-high 785 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns, earning All-Pac 12 Honorable Mention honors.

In 2014, Allen remained the lead dog, starting all 13 games, and finishing with 276 attempts, 1,489 yards and eleven scores - and adding 41 receptions for 458 yards. Allen earned First Team All-Pac 12 honors for his efforts. In sum, he started the Trojans' final seventeen games, averaging a healthy 110 yards per start.

Read the rest http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015...2015-draft-targets-usc-rb-javorius-buck-allen

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Allen is another of those college backs that keeps me from thinking the Cowboys are going to reach for a back in round 1.

To me this kid is very "Demarco Murray" like.

And he'll probaby be there in the 3rd round.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He might be "Demarco Murray" Like....he could also be "Joseph Randall" like.

I don't get the Joseph Randall hate.

The guy looked completely like a jag year 1 I admit but last year he showed something...

I think he could be an ok player given the chance.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get the Joseph Randall hate.

The guy looked completely like a jag year 1 I admit but last year he showed something...

I think he could be an ok player given the chance.

I did not say it in a negative or positive light.

From some of the reports I have read, including this one, Buck could be similar to Randall who is a RB who can do a little bit of everything but not really special in any of them...also a RB that was not as highly touted as other in his draft class at the time just as Allen is not in his draft.

I don't know that Allen would be that big of an upgrade at all...other than I am sure he is probably not the knuckle head that Randall is with the off the field issues.

Reactions: BAT

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I did not say it in a negative or positive light.

From some of the reports I have read, including this one, Buck could be similar to Randall who is a RB who can do a little bit of everything but not really special in any of them...also a RB that was not as highly touted as other in his draft class at the time just as Allen is not in his draft.

I don't know that Allen would be that big of an upgrade at all...other than I am sure he is probably not the knuckle head that Randall is with the off the field issues.

I keep asking myself with a lot of these RB's are they any better than Ryan Williams or Joseph Randall.

The only guys I see that could potentially be better is Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Ajayi, Yeldon, and Davis.

tm1119

Reaction score
Buck is criminally underrated on this board. He's a workhorse big runner with good vision and also catches the ball well and is 1 of the better RB's at pass pro in this draft class. I go back and forth between him and Mike Davis as the best value RB in this class. 1 of them will be there in the 3rd and will be just as good in our offense as any of the 1st/2nd round guys not named Gurley imo.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Buck is criminally underrated on this board. He's a workhorse big runner with good vision and also catches the ball well and is 1 of the better RB's at pass pro in this draft class. I go back and forth between him and Mike Davis as the best value RB in this class. 1 of them will be there in the 3rd and will be just as good in our offense as any of the 1st/2nd round guys not named Gurley imo.

I agree with that.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He might be "criminally underrated" but if that is the case, it is not just on this board..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think it's because most people feel as if the talent along the USC OLine is so good that a lot of backs could look special. When you watch his highlight video, most times he's running clean. That's not his fault of course. I think he has some nice skills. He's not my favorite back but I think that if he were the guy we took, he could come in and give some production in a RB rotation.

tm1119

Reaction score
He might be "criminally underrated" but if that is the case, it is not just on this board..

For a board that talks about RB's almost constantly he doesn't come up all that much. And considering he's a late 3rd/early 4th prospect it's a little surprising to me.

I think it's because most people feel as if the talent along the USC OLine is so good that a lot of backs could look special. When you watch his highlight video, most times he's running clean. That's not his fault of course. I think he has some nice skills. He's not my favorite back but I think that if he were the guy we took, he could come in and give some production in a RB rotation.

Is USC's line really that good anymore? They aren't the powerhouse they once were. Not sure they even have an NFL o lineman in this draft class and CBS doesn't have anybody ranked near the top in 2016 either

Gaede

Reaction score

Agreed! Allen would look awfully nice behind our line

Plankton

Reaction score
Allen is a nice player - very well rounded. The best thing about him is that he didn't log a lot of carries at USC, so you don't have to worry about him being worn down before entering the pros.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I keep asking myself with a lot of these RB's are they any better than Ryan Williams or Joseph Randall.

The only guys I see that could potentially be better is Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Ajayi, Yeldon, and Davis.

Switch Davis with David Johnson and I completely agree with you.

Gaede

Reaction score
Big fan of Allen lately. Looks like he can step right in and start. I can see some Murray in his game as well. Just seems to have more explosiveness and less toughness (though the will is clearly there)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
For a board that talks about RB's almost constantly he doesn't come up all that much. And considering he's a late 3rd/early 4th prospect it's a little surprising to me.

Is USC's line really that good anymore? They aren't the powerhouse they once were. Not sure they even have an NFL o lineman in this draft class and CBS doesn't have anybody ranked near the top in 2016 either

Yeah, they are pretty good along the Offense Line and they are young.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Have the Cowboys been linked to talking to him or having him come in for a visit?

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
Not to be off the subject. I like rashad Greene Wr Florida st as a late round pick to replace Dwayne Harris. All Greene did was produce all through his fsu career. Do not know how he isn't even mentioned in top wr