Cowboys 2017 cash spending lowest in NFL?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Told everyone they left over 30m on the cap unused

Why the heck we keep struggling with the cap.......Romo's retired, paying our starting QB pennies, we're about the ask one ofthe team's high paid player to take a pay cut. Just seem odd ....

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Why the heck we keep struggling with the cap.......Romo's retired, paying our starting QB pennies, we're about the ask one ofthe team's high paid player to take a pay cut. Just seem odd ....
Ask @Nightman. He's got your answers.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Cash spending is ridiculously misleading. According to sportrac, their cap number was $160 million with about $9 million space.

Last edited:

Corso

Reaction score
Cash spending is ridiculously misleading. According to OTC, their cap number was $160 million with about $9 million space.
So... they paid out $115 milly, but got cap charged $160 milly?

Ghost12

Reaction score
So... they paid out $115 milly, but got cap charged $160 milly?
Yes, but I would like to clarify 2 things:

1) I mistyped my source. My source was sportrac.com. (I have edited the post)
2) Different sources tend to have wildly different numbers, so it is tough to nail down what the exact numbers are.

Corso

Reaction score
Yes, but I would like to clarify 2 things:

1) I mistyped my source. My source was sportrac.com
2) Different sources tend to have wildly different number, so it is tough to nail down what the exact numbers are.
But we do know, while not exact, that the Cowboys paid X amount of number, but got charged a helluva lot more to the cap this last year, right?
A helluva lot more.

@Nightman ... I need you. I is confoosed.

Ghost12

Reaction score
But we do know, while not exact, that the Cowboys paid X amount of number, but got charged a helluva lot more to the cap this last year, right?
A helluva lot more.
Yes. For example, according to sportrac, here are 3 examples of the amount of cash paid out this year and the player's cap hit:

Bryant: $13M cash, $17M cap hit
Lee: $1.3M cash, $7.3M cap hit
Witten: $7.4M cash, $12.2M cap hit

So those 3 players right there alone represent a $21.7M cash outlay, but a cap hit of $36.5M.

Corso

Reaction score
I just saw this on Twitter. Seems like some of the worst teams spent the most cash (if that's what it means).
Looking at the Detroit Lions... I did chuckle, but that's because my business partner is a diehard Lions fan and I like teasing him as much as he likes teasing me about our NFL teams.
We're both Spurs fans though, so it's all family.

Corso

Reaction score
Yes. For example, according to sportrac, here are 3 examples of the amount of cash paid out this year and the player's cap hit:

Bryant: $13M cash, $17M cap hit
Lee: $1.3M cash, $7.3M cap hit
Witten: $7.4M cash, $12.2M cap hit

So those 3 players right there alone represent a $21.7M cash outlay, but a cap hit of $36.5M.
Ahh... thank you! Now I can wrap my head around this. And I knew some of this stuff too...
Thanks bud!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I just saw this on Twitter. Seems like some of the worst teams spent the most cash (if that's what it means).

True but I focused on the playoff teams.......after the Giants, there about six in middle. Coincidence?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys had highest amount of dead cap in the NFL last year by a solid margin.
That's a fair amount of why they spent so little.

They also went very light in free agency to continue to get younger/rebuild on defense and to stack supplemental picks.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Cowboys had highest amount of dead cap in the NFL last year by a solid margin.
That's a fair amount of why they spent so little.

They also went very light in free agency to continue to get younger/rebuild on defense and to stack supplemental picks.

And where all the dead cap coming from.........bottoms feeders and/or four secondary players we lost?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Nope
It’s cash spent such as paying a guy a big signing bonus
We carried over some cap space to this year

Ok that's what I figured. This is about to have Cowboy fans in a uproar as if it means we don't spend anything towards the cap like the rest of the teams lol. Ahh well....