Cowboys 2018 draft: Pre-draft 30 visits list contains intriguing safety options

waving monkey

Reaction score
This is the time of the NFL year where fans of the Dallas Cowboys try to read the tea leaves otherwise known as the 30 official pre-draft visits to the Star. The main focus for many is on the first-round talents that come in, but the team also talks to many players that could be available on days two and three of the draft. Recently, four safeties have cropped up among the invites, all projected as day two or three possibilities. That checks with comments from Bryan Broaddus of the mothership about the team being willing to look for another safety later in the draft

Tarvarius Moore, Southern Mississippi

Moore is one of the safeties that are now reported to be visiting - and this just popped up about him.

I can't believe I just got to USM safety Tarvarius Moore. His testing numbers were insane at 4.32, with 38.5 VJ and 11'1" BJ, but the tape matched the testing. Excellent cover skills too. Easy second day selection and one of the most under-the-radar safeties in the class.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ing-safety-options-tavarius-moore-kyzir-white

Kaiser

Reaction score
Our new Anthony Hitchens draft choice, this time in a Safety!

It would be fun to read this site if he is one of our picks. Oh, wait, no it won't.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
The Moore thing is corny and reeks of Byron Jones. I haven’t seen him play but nobody talked about him until he became sparq king. I’m glad we met with Kyzir though. I think that’s all kris Richard wanting a more athletic Kam Chancellor

We got Edmunds too. I’d take either one and be happy. I’d be more happy with Edmunds though.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the time of the NFL year where fans of the Dallas Cowboys try to read the tea leaves otherwise known as the 30 official pre-draft visits to the Star. The main focus for many is on the first-round talents that come in, but the team also talks to many players that could be available on days two and three of the draft. Recently, four safeties have cropped up among the invites, all projected as day two or three possibilities. That checks with comments from Bryan Broaddus of the mothership about the team being willing to look for another safety later in the draft

Tarvarius Moore, Southern Mississippi

Moore is one of the safeties that are now reported to be visiting - and this just popped up about him.

I can't believe I just got to USM safety Tarvarius Moore. His testing numbers were insane at 4.32, with 38.5 VJ and 11'1" BJ, but the tape matched the testing. Excellent cover skills too. Easy second day selection and one of the most under-the-radar safeties in the class.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ing-safety-options-tavarius-moore-kyzir-white

He is very similar to Byron Jones as a Safety.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Uhhh yeah, Tavarius Moore got my Josey Jewell award (could only stand 2:00 minutes watching him) for this week.

I really like Edmunds since pre-combine thought he was a 3rd rounder cause he can play all over. I like these Ss DAL is looking at tho.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Wow. Furthers my point about how garbage these paid scouts are. One decent combine showing and he’s a legend. Smh

He has some talent, but I agree not a guy I take before round five.
Tackling is sub par, takes poor angles.

Reactions: BAT

Klingo3034

Reaction score

Kyzir White possible Kam Chancellor?

Moore was under the radar, coming from a small school. But White, while starting his career at a junior college, began receiving notice after he transferred to WVU. He is big (6-2 and 218 lbs) and expected to put on some more weight. His future role is seen as a hybrid-type player who can function as a safety and a linebacker. That just adds to his value as that role is growing in importance in the NFL. He is seen as especially good covering tight ends. And he is a heavy hitter in run support. White is seen as a third- or fourth-round talent on many boards.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If they get that as late as they got Hitch (4th round?) we should be thrilled.

That is where Dane Brugler rates him:

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Southern Miss, Moore was the starting free safety in the Golden Eagles’ 4-2-5 base defense in 2017, putting together the senior campaign scouts were hoping to see from the JUCO transfer. He posted head-turning numbers at the team’s pro day, which reflect his on-field athleticism and range, flashing fast angles and pursuit speed to chase down ballcarriers. Moore looks to tune up his target, but has room to tidy up his fundamentals in run support. Overall, Moore has yet to play his best football and with added discipline, he has the athletic skills and natural instincts to make his mark in a starting secondary, projecting best as a nickel defender.

GRADE: 4th Round

Klingo3034

Reaction score
I feel like we should get him in 2nd round maybe if we don't get Vita or LVE or Derwin James.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

That's an insult to Byron Jones. Jones is much much better man defender and actually plays to his 4.3 speed.

I like AZ safety Dane Cruikshank much better.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Kyzir White possible Kam Chancellor?

Moore was under the radar, coming from a small school. But White, while starting his career at a junior college, began receiving notice after he transferred to WVU. He is big (6-2 and 218 lbs) and expected to put on some more weight. His future role is seen as a hybrid-type player who can function as a safety and a linebacker. That just adds to his value as that role is growing in importance in the NFL. He is seen as especially good covering tight ends. And he is a heavy hitter in run support. White is seen as a third- or fourth-round talent on many boards.

Give me Kyzir or Shaquiem Griffin in 4th or 5th to play SS/nickel LB.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

Let's take notes as I watch this:

0:00 - good job muscling the runner back to try and prevent the first down, the RB just makes it though.

0:37 - terrible play. Late to see the vertical, and took an awful angle to get there. Why is he coming in stumbling? It looks like the defense is playing a Seattle style cover 3 press, and Moore is in the Earl Thomas spot, so I think that vertical was supposed to be his to take. I'd say he is responsible for giving up that TD.

1:00 - very impressive burst to close, but completely whiffs the tackle.

2:01 - dogging it hard on that tackle.

2:27 - bites on the play fake, nice recovery speed though to get back in the play.

2:57 - nice play! Uses all of his length and athleticism to prevent the bomb.

3:30 - ehhh, this could have gone either way. The WR was grabbing him, he was grabbing the WR. Sloppy technique but nothing I'd trash too bad.

4:27 - zero awareness that that WR is breaking in behind him. He's just locked on to the QB's eyes and never sees the WR cut. You could argue this is his second TD given up.

4:40 - either super hesitant to fire through that hole, or not willing to stay back and contain, I don't know what the play was. The RB reads him and bounces it out as soon as he heads inside.

5:00 - another play where I'm not sure whether he is supposed to contain or just moving upfield in super slo mo. He should have been playing it like that LB starting on the hash mark.

5:30 - not really a bad play by him, but FSU #81 brings the *** whoop.

5:37 - great burst on the click-and-close.

5:57 - can't let that tight end get behind you, man, you're the last line of defense.

So in summary, I see an athlete that sucks at playing football. Good speed and some promising short-area burst, along with poor awareness, bad tackling, and sometimes dodgy effort. I think he is a measurables dart throw in rounds 5-7. There's not enough to work with here to draft him as a starter or rotational player - he's either going to be a special teamer or a long term, low odds project.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's take notes as I watch this:

0:00 - good job muscling the runner back to try and prevent the first down, the RB just makes it though.

0:37 - terrible play. Late to see the vertical, and took an awful angle to get there. Why is he coming in stumbling? It looks like the defense is playing a Seattle style cover 3 press, and Moore is in the Earl Thomas spot, so I think that vertical was supposed to be his to take. I'd say he is responsible for giving up that TD.

1:00 - very impressive burst to close, but completely whiffs the tackle.

2:01 - dogging it hard on that tackle.

2:27 - bites on the play fake, nice recovery speed though to get back in the play.

2:57 - nice play! Uses all of his length and athleticism to prevent the bomb.

3:30 - ehhh, this could have gone either way. The WR was grabbing him, he was grabbing the WR. Sloppy technique but nothing I'd trash too bad.

4:27 - zero awareness that that WR is breaking in behind him. He's just locked on to the QB's eyes and never sees the WR cut. You could argue this is his second TD given up.

4:40 - either super hesitant to fire through that hole, or not willing to stay back and contain, I don't know what the play was. The RB reads him and bounces it out as soon as he heads inside.

5:00 - another play where I'm not sure whether he is supposed to contain or just moving upfield in super slo mo. He should have been playing it like that LB starting on the hash mark.

5:30 - not really a bad play by him, but FSU #81 brings the *** whoop.

5:37 - great burst on the click-and-close.

5:57 - can't let that tight end get behind you, man, you're the last line of defense.

So in summary, I see an athlete that sucks at playing football. Good speed and some promising short-area burst, along with poor awareness, bad tackling, and sometimes dodgy effort. I think he is a measurables dart throw in rounds 5-7. There's not enough to work with here to draft him as a starter or rotational player - he's either going to be a special teamer or a long term, low odds project.
Good post.

This is how to grade players for a discussion. I wish more people could follow this process.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score

I wonder if he was playing injured in that game. Definitely didn't look like a 4.3 guy. He played slow, not to mention he over-pursued the ball carrier several times.