Cowboys 2019 Draft first pick 58

JustChip

Reaction score
I don’t worry about the draft anymore, we’ve had very strong drafts for the last 8 years or so

Right. As has been proven, the draft is beyond just the 1st round. Those that bemoaned the 2017 last game win against Philly because it cost us 3 or so draft spots are clueless. I said at that time that win cost us nothing because we were going to get a player at 19 that would significantly help this team just as well as at 15. The same will be this year - we should get players that will help this team take the next step at 58, the 3rd round and maybe the 4th round. And they can certainly do a trade-up move if the "just gotta have" player is there, but I'd be suspect of that because that's where they have failed/missed recently.

I was neutral on the Amari trade, but I'm jiggy now. We essentially traded 2 years of guaranteed service for a top 10, maybe top 5 talent. And really, we didn't necessarily trade the 2 years, just the monetary cost for those 2 years because we can franchise tag him at worst case if we can't sign him (assuming we don't FT someone else).

JustChip

Reaction score
the FN negativity over every move every win every loss gets old, you realized we draft very well the last 5 yrs,

lets revisit briefly the Amari Trade, out main goal this draft would have been a WR, Amari proved he was worth a 1st round pick, no college player ie rookie WR would have done close to Amari and Amaris young , hes our first round pick which is a successful one already before april starts., having a crack at 2-7 they can trade up and around and still gate value and players..SMH

get over yourselves in here, you arent the owners, the FO, the players and for sure not experts but can we wait until after draft day to criticize the draft ..my god!! last year LVE was bust before he suited up, howd that work out JS was mistake, yada yada yada..

can we get dislike button in here that deducts points :)

Yep. I bet Cincinnati would like to have the John Ross pick back. I realize he was injured his first year and that can happen to anybody, anytime, but they're probably going to have to make a financial decision on him before really knowing what they're going to have.

JustChip

Reaction score
Not sure how you can say that

Starting 1T DT
Starting FS
Starting TE
OL depth
PR/KR

All critical needs IMO

Add in back up RB worth a darn and players likely to be cut/released and suddenly there are a lot of needs

And QB (which I think is most critical) but not touching that one

Agreed on FS and 1T/DT, but the later is going to be a critical need every year that Rod M is here.

Frankly, I don't see OL depth as critical as last year. Just think that we lost Fred Beard all year, Martin for a couple of games (one of which was a critical game) and Smith some. They addressed the depth last year and that was the reason this season didn't implode. OL depth is still necessary and I know Fleming was a 1-year deal and they need to replace him, but they'll be able to do it in FA if they aren't able to resign him. If I remember right, Marcus Martin was a 2 year deal so he'll be coming back.

I don't see TE as critical. I think Jarwin proved he can be a more than adequate TE, especially with another year of experience. Schultz is still an unknown though. And I think Rico is probably gone. I would certainly look to add a veteran in FA for depth and insurance.

I'm not worried about KR. How many kicks get returned? They have their PR in Austin (although I worry about his fumbling), but they did seem to somewhat reluctant to use him. Maybe that was concerned about his groin injury. But I don't really see PR as that important because, as we saw in the Seattle game, there is a very real likelihood that any return is going to be negated by a blocking in the back or holding call. I just don't see position that will produce 1, maybe 2 big plays a year as critical.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Right now in that spot I would be looking at:

Gerald Willis III
Irv Smith
Cody Ford
Jerry Tillery
Ross Piersbacher
Taylor Rapp
Daniel Wise (sleeper)
Brandon Jones
Garrett Bradbury

Beaker42

Reaction score
Going to be a fun off-season. This team doesn't have near the critical needs they had coming out of the 2017 season.

Wanna bet? We need DT 1Tech help so Im sure we’ll take a 280lb 3T who can’t stop the run or collapse the pocket. We’re good.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Getting Cooper means we got a sure thing whereas a pick is just 50-50 at best.

In the second round I am waiting to see who will actually be there, but if guys Lawrence DT or Smith TE or Thompson S are there then I am making sure I am getting one of them if not all 3 even if it cost 2020 1st round.

DanA

Reaction score
Right now I'd be hoping for one of the following at 58:
TJ Hockensen
I.Smith
C.Wilkins
D.Thompson
N.Adderley
G.Little

A few I'd be willing to trade a future pick to move up in the draft.